What's new

Match-up Discussion My Shang Tsung MU Chart

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Alright, I made one of these after EVO but it got deleted in the crash and it needed an update. Here is my chart with some annotations:
7-3 vs Baraka
6-4 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
3-7 vs Cyrax
7-3 vs Ermac
4-6 vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade
3-7 vs Jax
5-5 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
7-3 vs Kano
5-5 vs Kenshi
4-6 vs Kitana
4-6 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
6-4 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Nightwolf
4-6 vs Noob Saibot
7-3 vs Quan Chi
5-5 vs Raiden
6-4 vs Rain
6-4 vs Reptile (Rep is screwed up close and he has to be very careful at max SS range)
6-4 vs Scorpion
7-3 vs Sektor
7-3 vs Sheeva
5-5 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
3-7 vs Smoke
4-6 vs Sonya Blade
6-4 vs Stryker
6-4 vs Sub-Zero

Good MUS: 15

Bad MUS: 8

Even MU's: 7

Feel free to discus and ask questions.

Updated July 17th, 2013.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Jade is 5-5 in my opinion, Shang has good pressure to keep up with her counterzoning and Shang's footsies are really solid. I don't think she beats Shang.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Agree with the Baraka matchup. I played astronout(Guy who was PL's first match at Dallas) a lot at MLG and that matchup is actually pretty tough.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
changing in liu favor, dem footsies bruh.
Liu definitely has good footsies, and so does Shang. The problem comes that when Liu gets a little closer, he can do a fireball or use a normal. Shang can beat his normals with well placed D+3's or D+4's, which sets up his pressure. Shang basically has to guess fireball or normal.

Liu definitely has good footsies, and so does Shang. The problem comes that when Liu gets a little closer, he can do a fireball or use a normal. Shang can beat his normals with well placed D+3's or D+4's, which sets up his pressure. Shang basically has to guess fireball or normal.
yeah, this mu is 5-5 for sure, you still can get some SS off and if you corner me/get close to me it isn't super easy. Liu outclasses him in the zoning and footsies game, so both have their advantages and disadvantages, but nothing too heavy so 5-5 sounds great.

I think those same traits that help him in the kabal match up make the Sonya mu a 5 - 5. Shang can push her away with SS and Sonya is pretty much her own worst match up.
his zoneing is good enough to tango with Freddy's, and can give Fred trouble up close. I think it's a 5 - 5 as well. I know CJKRattlehead agrees.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I feel the Cage MU has the potential to be in Shang's favour with some proper fleshing out. Thoughts?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I think those same traits that help him in the kabal match up make the Sonya mu a 5 - 5. Shang can push her away with SS and Sonya is pretty much her own worst match up.
his zoneing is good enough to tango with Freddy's, and can give Fred trouble up close. I think it's a 5 - 5 as well. I know CJKRattlehead agrees.
SS is good against Sonya but the problem is that when she gets to a certain range, it becomes dangerous for Shang to do anything. D+4 and EX cartwheel will frequently hit him out of it. She also has a 7 frame launcher that gets her out of his pressure. Freddy totally outzones Shang, and if he doesn't, the Freddy player is playing it wrong. His specials are just too much faster than Shang's. Shang does better up close, but Freddy's armor and teleport make it difficult to stay on him.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
WoundCowboy why do you think Shang/Scorp is 6-4?
Scorp really doesn't have an answer to SS besides armor or jumping, both of which force him to try and react to movement and thus not play his game. Shang also rapes him up close because Scorp's armored moves will sometimes go through Shang and yield a full combo punish. Scorp also had to rely on D+1 to get out of pressure, which is punishable by a combo. If he D+3's then Shang is still is advantage and can keep pressuring. Lol, it is messed up.

1. Sub CAN turtle shang out, but he needs a decent lead first. When shang is cornered, he DOES care about the clone.

2. Shang players are in denial about the Cage MU. Cage has the advantage. Shang gets knocked down vs Cage and he is fucked way worse then he is vs any other character. Cage also escapes the annoying trap where Shang ends corner combos with up skull, and he escapes it FREE while putting Shang in the corner at the same time. There are several reasons why Cage has the advantage and as this MU gets farmed out more, you will see that MU score change.

Also, while I give Shang the nod vs Sub, I am VERY good with trading vs Shang. Shang cannot zone out a Sub who does this. Sadly, 2 months of TTT2 and no MK made it hard to fully demonstrate this in the 3 matches we played. Now that I can get back to playing MK again, I need to run this MU with wound at SCR.

btw, when is SCR?

Also, while I give Shang the nod vs Sub, I am VERY good with trading vs Shang. Shang cannot zone out a Sub who does this. Sadly, 2 months of TTT2 and no MK made it hard to fully demonstrate this in the 3 matches we played. Now that I can get back to playing MK again, I need to run this MU with wound at SCR.

btw, when is SCR?
january 18th-20th

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Also, while I give Shang the nod vs Sub, I am VERY good with trading vs Shang. Shang cannot zone out a Sub who does this. Sadly, 2 months of TTT2 made it hard to fully demonstrate this. Now that I can get back to playing MK again, I need to run this MU with wound at SCR.

btw, when is SCR?
SCR is January 18th-20th . Also, the reason that I say Shang doesn't care about clone is that even in the corner that Sub pretty much still has to come in, slide, or spend meter on EX freeze. Shang doesn't have to move to chip away at SZ in order to beat out D+4 or 2.

Owerbart

I miss you
Ok, so discussing the Ermac MU will take us nowhere, but besides that and Cage, looks fine.

I'm curious on why you have Stryker as even. How does it unfold?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Ok, so discussing the Ermac MU will take us nowhere, but besides that and Cage, looks fine.

I'm curious on why you have Stryker as even. How does it unfold?
Stryker is an annoyance because his gun and roll are fast enough to beat out Shang's specials. However, he can't simply sit back and zone because Shang can eventually knock him down with a skull and gain the advantage. Shang can brutalize him up close because his armored moves aren't great and they give Shang free pressure on block.

Noob is tough because his specials are faster than Shang's and so they limit his ability to use SS or GS's. Noob doesn't do much damage at midscreen and has trouble with pressure, but it is hard to get in on him.

Cage is not advantage because at this point in the game's life, it is too easy to get past zoning and yet they both have dirt up close.