What's new

Match-up Discussion My Shang Tsung MU Chart

This is also probably the first time I've ever seen someone other than a Jade player say she wins a MU. Except maybe noob saibot players.

NariTuba

disMember
Nice chart WC, definitely got me thinking.

Would you mind going into the Sektor matchup a little more? Sektor wouldnt really zone in this matchup, it seems to me he would play a footsies game with his b1 and flame range (both those moves are faster than SS).

You mentioned Sonyas 7f launcher as a tool to get out of shang pressure, Sektor also has a disgusting launcher. Also missiles shouldnt be out of the question, cant he use them just outside flame range to catch you trying to SS?

Is the range of STs d4 that good that it messes with sektor footsies?

It would also seem that it wouldnt be that hard for sektor to out-turtle himself in the mirror till the morph back.

Anyway, I always liked Shang!
good stuff

LEGEND

YES!
1. Sub CAN turtle shang out, but he needs a decent lead first. When shang is cornered, he DOES care about the clone.

2. Shang players are in denial about the Cage MU. Cage has the advantage. Shang gets knocked down vs Cage and he is fucked way worse then he is vs any other character. Cage also escapes the annoying trap where Shang ends corner combos with up skull, and he escapes it FREE while putting Shang in the corner at the same time. There are several reasons why Cage has the advantage and as this MU gets farmed out more, you will see that MU score change.
i Agree with this but, as far as im aware Flip kick isnt entirely safe vs the correct corner traps. He still has to eat pressure or a throw mixup

WoundCowboy . Only two MUs i disagree with are Johnny and Jax. We should grind these out sometime

CYracks

Command Grabber
I remember Detroit also saying that Cyrax is 7-3 and is Shangs worst match-up, but maybe you more experience vs Cyrax.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Nice chart WC, definitely got me thinking.

Would you mind going into the Sektor matchup a little more? Sektor wouldnt really zone in this matchup, it seems to me he would play a footsies game with his b1 and flame range (both those moves are faster than SS).

You mentioned Sonyas 7f launcher as a tool to get out of shang pressure, Sektor also has a disgusting launcher. Also missiles shouldnt be out of the question, cant he use them just outside flame range to catch you trying to SS?

Is the range of STs d4 that good that it messes with sektor footsies?

It would also seem that it wouldnt be that hard for sektor to out-turtle himself in the mirror till the morph back.

Anyway, I always liked Shang!
good stuff
Thanks Man :). You are correct that Sektor should not be zoning in this MU. My only point was that Shang really hurts his zoning OPTIONS, which is something that Sektor might fall back on if he has a lead. D+4 is good because of the reach and because it goes under Sektor's normals. The reaason Sektor's jab isn't as deadly as Sonya is because he doesn't have an armored move to respect and if he is smart, he won't be jumping out of your pressure.

Cyrax is a 7-3 in my opinion. This may be his worst matchup.
It is definitely bad, but Shang has options. 7-3 is like Kitana-Kenshi, and I definitely don't get that kind of feeling when I play it.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
i Agree with this but, as far as im aware Flip kick isnt entirely safe vs the correct corner traps. He still has to eat pressure or a throw mixup

WoundCowboy . Only two MUs i disagree with are Johnny and Jax. We should grind these out sometime
What does Shang have against Jax? I play with Dab and I can tell you that it is REALLY tough if they know the MU and can counterpoke properly.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Jade is 5-5 in my opinion, Shang has good pressure to keep up with her counterzoning and Shang's footsies are really solid. I don't think she beats Shang.
i dont know man,i play a jade player pretty regularly and he beats me alot.shes a constant annoyance,the glow through the ground skulls is a real pain as is the pushback from staffgrab on block.

Reactions: JAP

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Wound, with the new corner dirt Cyrax has, I've changed this MU in my latest revision to 3-7 in Cyrax's favor. We'll see if that stays that way after the corner BS has been explored/exploited to the fullest.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Wound, with the new corner dirt Cyrax has, I've changed this MU in my latest revision to 3-7 in Cyrax's favor. We'll see if that stays that way after the corner BS has been explored/exploited to the fullest.
Lol yea, that sucks. Haha, just a few months ago I was saying 3-7 and you said it wasn't that bad. It's funny what time can do.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
WoundCowboy, I agree with the Smoke number. It is probably bordering 3-7 Smoke advantage. If Smoke can control the spacing of the match there is pretty much no way for Shang to win this. Up close Shang definitely has the tools to keep things close, but it is the Smoke player's job not to let that happen, pepper Shang with smoke bombs, and make good reads on anti-air opportunities once you get a feel for when the Shang player wants to commit.

The only really good Shang I have played tbh so far is Emperor Dark, so I would like to be able to get some games in sometime and we can get more of a feel for the MU if you want.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Scorp really doesn't have an answer to SS besides armor or jumping, both of which force him to try and react to movement and thus not play his game. Shang also rapes him up close because Scorp's armored moves will sometimes go through Shang and yield a full combo punish. Scorp also had to rely on D+1 to get out of pressure, which is punishable by a combo. If he D+3's then Shang is still is advantage and can keep pressuring. Lol, it is messed up.
And if Scorp lands a spear during the soul steal window he can delay the vortex setup, wait for the morphback frames and then to proceed to punish (unless it's EX which could prolong morphback timing), it puts Shang at even more risk than the opposing Scorp player would imo lol.

I'm not sure if I agree with Scorp having it any harder getting out of Shang's pressure either, you gotta remember Scorp is actually able to D1 further than his own knee unlike certain other characters *cough, Sektor, cough* and can armor Takedown if he has to. I see what you're saying, but it's not really anything any other character wouldn't be conditioned to expect. I think it's 5-5 and I can go into more detail if you like.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
And if Scorp lands a spear during the soul steal window he can delay the vortex setup, wait for the morphback frames and then to proceed to punish (unless it's EX which could prolong morphback timing), it puts Shang at even more risk than the opposing Scorp player would imo lol.

I'm not sure if I agree with Scorp having it any harder getting out of Shang's pressure either, you gotta remember Scorp is actually able to D1 further than his own knee unlike certain other characters *cough, Sektor, cough* and can armor Takedown if he has to. I see what you're saying, but it's not really anything any other character wouldn't be conditioned to expect. I think it's 5-5 and I can go into more detail if you like.
Lol yea the SS thing sucks, but Shang has to make sure he is not at a disadvantage while morphed. Scorp definitely has it harder in Shang's pressure. There are only a few characters who's D+3 is negative on hit and block (Scorp, Ermac, and Rain?). This essentially means that I do not have to block low when I read a poke, which saves me frames transitioning from crouch block in order to punish. The reach of his D+1 really makes little difference because it is always punishable if it is blocked, which is true even of Kitana. Takedown also has the same problem as EX spear- it will often go through me and because it is bad on whiff, Scorp gets punished.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Lol yea the SS thing sucks, but Shang has to make sure he is not at a disadvantage while morphed. Scorp definitely has it harder in Shang's pressure. There are only a few characters who's D+3 is negative on hit and block (Scorp, Ermac, and Rain?). This essentially means that I do not have to block low when I read a poke, which saves me frames transitioning from crouch block in order to punish. The reach of his D+1 really makes little difference because it is always punishable if it is blocked, which is true even of Kitana. Takedown also has the same problem as EX spear- it will often go through me and because it is bad on whiff, Scorp gets punished.
Takedown can whiff on collision? I've honestly never heard of this happening, especially not on Shang's hitbox of all people (then again EX spear stuff's Cage's D3 yet whiffs on Kenshi's so that point doesn't clear up much :() Are you sure it wasn't an armor vs armor situation? (in which case if Shang were to EX SS, 3,3,spear should punish it in time before it recovers) Who do you have the most exp in the matchup with?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Takedown can whiff on collision? I've honestly never heard of this happening, especially not on Shang's hitbox of all people (then again EX spear stuff's Cage's D3 yet whiffs on Kenshi's so that point doesn't clear up much :() Are you sure it wasn't an armor vs armor situation? (in which case if Shang were to EX SS, 3,3,spear should punish it in time before it recovers) Who do you have the most exp in the matchup with?
Takedown can go straight through me and it was definitely not armor vs armor. I have played Slips before, although not in awhile. My main Scorpion experience is from Gamerblake and Archmagus (a PSN player), both of whom are good with him. The only way I usually lose to scorp is if he takes outrageous risks, which is not a strategy that will help him win consistently.