Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I disagree

• Do you even know what taste is?

• Total voters

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
In my opinion, the best move that a character has in pretty much any fighting game is their Super Move, the move that triggers a full on cinematic to showcase. I think that this is the best way in Mortal Kombat, besides fatalities, to kind of explain the character that is being played within like 8 seconds.

As the topic suggests, I'm gonna be giving my thoughts and ratings on every X-Ray in MKXL, including DLC obviously. Basically, I'll be judging them based on how creative they are IMO, how cool they look, how well they utilize the character's arsenal, and overall presentation.

Remember that this is all my opinion. I'm trying to look at it from an unbiased perspective, but ultimately this stems from how cool I personally find the X-Rays myself. Feel free to leave your own thoughts below, and click the spoilers if you're interested in my thoughts for the X-Rays.

Alien - 8.5/10.0

I love Alien's X-Ray personally. I think the tail strikes to begin with are just perfect, with the final one ending in a head crush. And I think the final hit of the X-Ray, the head bite, could've been a little better. I give it points for using the little mouth to begin with, but I kinda felt like it felt a bit lackluster on the final hit. Still very good though.

Jason - 8.5/10/0

Now I really like how this one start off, with him walking forward, arm outstretched. The first two attacks are absolutely perfect and I would never change them. But the final hit of the X-Ray flows well but doesn't hype me up as much as the first 2. Nonetheless, I have to give it a 8.5/10.0 for the first hits, and the 3rd hit does flow naturally to me.

Kung Lao - 9.0/10.0

Kung Lao's X-Ray is among my favorites. It starts out very cool, with those flying kicks, and then going into the hat in the head? Awesome. Then the slam into the ground just felt good to watch, and the teleport knee into the stomach just felt like a natural addition onto the end. Excellent X-Ray.

Jax Briggs - 8.0/10.0

Jax's X-Ray looks extremely painful, don't get me wrong... but it just feels like something is missing there. The two hits that are there though, show off Jax's arms well. But idk why, I'm not the biggest fan of this X-Ray.

Sonya Blade - 8.5/10.0

I really like that this one starts off with her iconic signature kiss. I was sad at first when it wasn't a part of her main kit, but after seeing it here I was happy. Each hit with the string feels like it flows into the next quite well, but not much of her actual abilities outside of it are shown in this X-Ray. Still nicely done though.

Kenshi - 8.5/10.0

Kenshi's X-Ray starts off really good, with the sword stab into your fucking face. That's awesome. The second hit kinda felt repetitive, but still looked good and painful. Then the last hit of it was quite effective at continuing the momentum of the first hits.

Kitana - 9.5/10.0

Kitana's X-Ray is great. The opening spin dance she performs just feels good, has a musical quality to it, and showcases her finesse quite well. And I like the next two hits, as they not only look cool and show off Kitana's precision and her agility, but they set up perfectly for the final blow to the face that they get last. It just feels like everything goes perfectly together for her X-Ray, which is what I love to see for X-Rays. I might give hers a 10.0/10.0 later, but for now she gets a 9.5.

Scorpion- 9.25/10.0

Scorpions's X-Ray starts off with a badass pose for one, into a flaming torpedo move that launches his across the screen, and can be used in the opposite direction if you so choose. So the intro already starts off strong. Then the knee into the neck just looks painful and gets them up in the air. The obligatory spears to the face, showing his "Get Over Here!" move is perfect, but the final hit isn't as impactful as it could be, though still very good. If this X-Ray ended similarly to the 2nd hit of his MK11 Fatal Blow, he'd probably get a 10.0/10.0 from me. But this is still very good.

Sub-Zero - 8.5/10.0

The only reason Sub-Zero didn't get a higher score is because I don't know how to feel about the fact that his MK9 and MKX X-Rays are quite similar. First you get in their stomach, then you attack their head in some fashion; in MK9 a head butt and in MKX you freeze their innards to stab them in the eye. For the sake of fairness I'm gonna leave that alone and give him an 8.5. The X-Ray is still very nasty and shows off his abilities and utility well, but it could be slightly better. Something more like his MK11 or Injustice 2 moves would've been cooler IMO.

Mileena - 9.5/10.0

Her X-Ray starts off with the 3 tele-kicks, which is already a good start. Then the shish kebab she turns them into is just perfect, especially when she takes a bite out of her meal. Then the eye gouging is just great. The yell she does before gouging the eyes is also fantastic.

Takeda - 8.5/10.0

I think he uses his whips really well for the first two hits of the X-Ray, but I think the run he does to get to the second hit kind of takes me out of it. Idk, maybe I'm just weird. But I do love the final boot to the face that we get to see afterwards. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

Cassie - 10.0/10.0

Cassie's X-Rays is easily one of the best. The initial hits feel nice and graceful and showcase her agility and skill at gymnastics. Then the fire in the face just was a nice quick movement that didn't disrupt the flow of movement, and makes sense when she goes to punch them straight in the gonads, crushing balls like it's nothing. Then the crushing of their face felt good, and then the final dual shots in the face were the perfect ending to the X-Ray. And she does all of the 3 X-Ray hits while in the splits. By far one of my favorites.

Jacqui Briggs - 8.0/10.0

Which makes it such a shame that Jacqui's doesn't measure up. The rapid fire punches to the chest were awesome to me, as well as the final punch to the chin. They seemed so good IMO, but the final hit felt just okay. Still a good X-Ray IMO, but it wasn't awesome like Cassie's.

Kung Jin - 9.0/10.0

Kung Jin's X-Ray is also very good to me. I love every hit of the X-Ray, especially the two arrows fired in the eyeballs. I'm so glad they utilized those in the final hit of the X-Ray, to slam them into the ground. Nice flow of movements, nice damage dealt across the person's entire body; nice X-Ray.

Tanya - 8.5/10.0

I really like Tanya's X-Ray; every part of it. But to me, it doesn't flow well enough for me to put it up there with the 9-10s. Still really cool, though I wish more of her abilities/weapons were used here.

Bo Rai Cho - 8.0/10.0

I don't particularly care for Bo Rai Cho's X-Ray, mainly because the only thing it makes usage of is his weight, though you could argue that that's the main thing he has at his disposal.

Leatherface - 7.5/10.0

Leatherface's is actually one of my least favorite because it starts out sooo cool! The chainsaw through the chest with the blood covering the camera was awesome! But it doesn't keep my hype up continuously for the second and third hits, as they're both kinda tame IMO. I wish they'd used his insanity a little more to just do some wacky stuff with his X-Ray. Still decent though.

Predator - 8.0/10

I don't particularly like Predator's X-Ray in all seriousness. Outside of coolness factor of the second hit, and the fact that I'm glad that they used all of his weapons, I don't love this X-Ray. But, personal bias aside, they used a lot of his arsenal for this X-Ray, and him flying in the air to throw the disk was a nice visual, but the X-Ray doesn't flow well to me. The first hit kinda seemed random as well. The initial hit with the blades was cool, but leading into the plasma cannons felt weird. Idk.

Shinnok - 8.0/10.0

Shinnok's would probably have a 10 if it weren't for the final hit. I absolutely love the initial hit; feels very "Shinnok," with the hands reaching out of the ground, and the second hit feels very "Shinnok" and powerful as well. The pimp slap was also just perfect. Every time my mother has seen it, she always says "Bitch, where my money at! Gimme my money!"

Kano - 8.5/10.0

Kano's X-Ray starts off fantastic. I still remember my jaw dropping when I saw the first hit of his X-Ray, how he literally rips open your chest in slow-mo. But the neck breaking didn't flow as well as it could have, which is a complete shame in my opinion.

Johnny Cage - 9.0/10.0

Johnny's X-Ray gets a 9 because it flows extremely well in my opinion, but it doesn't showcase anything other than his strength. Like, any other character could arguably perform his X-Ray. But even so, his X-Ray does feel like it has a unique Johnny Cage feel to it, and every move that follows after the initial hit feels like the natural progression, and the final hit has a sense of finality to it IMO.

Erron Black - 8.0/10.0

Eh. Erron Black gets an 8. Not absolutely fantastic, but not bad either. It would probably get a 7 if not for the name on the bullet.

Liu Kang - 9.5/10.0

Liu Kang's X-Ray is another one of the best X-Rays in the game. It's just about perfect. Every hit just feels impactful, and seems like a natural attack sequence from such a master of the arts. Every time I see this X-Ray I want to try and do it in real life. I know, I'm a loser. Even though I wish there had been some fire in his X-Ray somewhere, I'm not gonna pretend like this X-Ray isn't awesome to me.

Ermac - 8.0/10.0

Ermac's X-Ray is cool, but it doesn't feel as fluid as it could, and makes literally no use of his coolest abilities, i.e., the telekinesis powers, outside of the initial hit. It felt so weird to see that not be used. Overall, I think an 8 is fair.

Kotal Kahn - 8.5/10.0

I'm so glad that the initial hit of this X-Ray blinds, because it sets up for the first X-Ray hit so well, which then plays well into the second hit of the X-Ray. The third hit is also good, but doesn't flow the best from the second hit. I also was kinda miffed that the removal of the knife from the next was so simply done.

Reptile - 8.5/10.0

Reptile's X-Ray is pretty good as far as the sensibility of it goes, but it reminds me a lot of his MK9 X-Ray, just like Sub-Zero. Overall though, the X-Ray isn't bad, but it just could've done more, I suppose.

Ferra-Torr - 9.5/10.0

Obviously one of the first X-Rays, and IMO, one of the best X-Rays. The flow of each move is smooth, and the tag team usage of the two is quite nice to see be used. It also shows that Torr is the strong, brutal one, and Ferra does the more precise, specific damage between them.

D-Vorah - 9.0/10.0

The fact that D'Vorah's X-Ray starts out with her bugs bringing the enemy up is so cool to me. I love that. Then he flying up behind them is nice, and her usage of her Ovipositors is great, especially on the head stabbing, and the final hit is also satisfying. Very good X-Ray.

Raiden - 10.0/10.0

This is the one X-Ray I refuse to budge on in terms of score. This is one of the absolutely coolest X-Rays they've ever made, and I love that the scope of the X-Ray goes all the way up into the skies. Raiden is the thunder God, so him using his powers throughout the entire X-Ray was absolutely fantastic.

Quan Chi - 9.25/10.0

Quan Chi's X-Ray was so awesome to me in his release trailer, but when I saw it without the music, I realized it wasn't as badass as I thought it was, but I am glad that he uses his powers so well throughout it, summoning the orb to start it, then crushing their head between skulls, and his use of portals throughout the full X-Ray was really unique to me, especially since he ended up riding them like a skateboard at the very end lol

Goro - 8.5/10.0

Goro's X-Ray is so cool to me, but I am slightly disappointed that there wasn't some final hit to finish it off in style. But what was there was so cool and different from the other attacks that the other characters in the game do. I'm quite happy about his X-Ray overall.

Tremor - 9.5/10.0

So creative, this one. I really enjoy watching Tremor's X-Ray every time I see it. His usage of the Earth is so well utilized here, and the fact that he uses his abilities in every hit is so cool to me, especially since the initial hit of the X-Ray summons the rock that he uses for the final 2 hits of the X-Ray. So good.

Tri-Borg - 9.5/10.0

I'm gonna give them extra points for having different X-Ray openings for each Variation of Tri-Borg. It makes a lot of sense and overall feels good to see that they still have some differences between them. The detachable head being thrown started this off really well, following into the torpedo coming at them afterwards, then the fact that that momentum was used to spin a couple of times then launch them into the air, then slam them into the ground, with Tri-Borg suffering no damage because he threw his head as the first hit was just so cool to me, and I enjoy watching this X-Ray a lot.

Corrupted Shinnok - 9.25/10.0

Corrupted Shinnok easily has one of the best X-Rays. The utilization of literally the stage that surrounds him is unique to him only and feels so refreshing to see. It's just so cool to watch it go from popping the pillar from the ground to blasting them with a chest beam, then smashing their head with two rocks from the stage, then slamming them down into the ground. So good.

Here everything is in a tier list:

S (10.0) - Cassie Cage, Raiden
A+ (9.25-9.5) - Kitana, Scorpion, Mileena, Liu Kang, Ferra-Torr, Quan Chi, Tremor, Tri-Borg, Corrupted Shinnok
A (9.0) - Kung Lao, Kung Jin, Johnny Cage, D'Vorah
A- (8.5) - Alien, Jason Voorhees, Sonya Blade, Kenshi, Sub-Zero, Takeda, Tanya, Kano, Kotal Kahn, Reptile, Goro
B (8.0) - Jax Briggs, Jacqui Briggs, Bo Rai Chi, Predator, Shinnok, Erron Black, Ermac
C (7.5-7)Leatherface