What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kitana My Kitana Assassin MUs

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
And I think Assasin 4-6 against these variations (I list the difference between my opinion and OP's)
Alien Acidic and Conjurer
Ermac: MoS and Spectral
Kano: Cutthroat
Cassie Cage: Hollywood, Brawler
Predator: HQT
Quan Chi: Summoner and Sorcerer
Dvorah: Swarm Queen
Takeda: Ronin
Mostly because they have better footsie and spacing. Predator HQT and Quan Chi because of their zoning and 50/50
I agree with everyone except Dvorah, assassian strike you can do on read from her puddles, and lame her out for the most part

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
This is very wrong lol. Fan (the fastest projectile in the game) does more damage than low chakram, and because her fan cannot be antizoned on reaction, Shaolin must either guess or randomly throw out low chakram, after he stands up he will eat the fan. Not to mention RS has reflect

At close range RS lift wins the trade with everything. Just use it carefully. Shaolin's armors and mixups are completely safe againts everyone but low reward. He's way more meter hungry than Kitana
All of this sounds too risky

gam224

The world's least hype player
This is very wrong lol. Fan (the fastest projectile in the game) does more damage than low chakram, and because her fan cannot be antizoned on reaction, Shaolin must either guess or randomly throw out low chakram, after he stands up he will eat the fan. Not to mention RS has reflect

At close range RS lift wins the trade with everything. Just use it carefully. Shaolin's armors and mixups are completely safe againts everyone but low reward. He's way more meter hungry than Kitana
First of all I can low chakram on reaction, 2nd he's not low reward for a bar

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I agree with most of what you have here @ragnar0kz28 however there are a couple I don't completely agree with. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm certainly open to anyone explaining to me if I am.

- Scorpion (any): I just don't see these as even. Maybe Ninjitsu is, which I used to struggle with also but have gotten better about. But Inferno and especially Hellfire do not seem even at all to me.

- Mileena (Piercing): Not trying to up-play her or anything, but I struggled with this match-up before her buffs. Just how are you supposed to approach her as Assassin? You're constantly checked with low sai, and jumping in gets you telekicked or rolled under. Then you're right back where you started. Sure, you can armor through a sai, but it's difficult to build meter against her. @xKhaoTik if you happen to have any footage showcasing the Assassin vs Piercing match-up, I'd love to see it and I'd be eternally grateful.

- Kung Lao (Tempest): I think this is about even, and one of the more fun match-ups. Yes, Buzzsaw has the mix-ups, but Tempest has the better wake-up that slows down Kitana's offense.

- Sub Zero (Grandmaster): I don't fear this nearly as much as I used to. I'd say it's even now. The buff to Assassin Strike really helped with dealing with klone corner traps and klone in general.

- Sektor: I've seen some good Sektors, but none that would convince me this is a 4-6 match-up. Up rockets can be walked around, and despite EX flame being a good wake-up, it doesn't combo or anything. Just get in and stay on him.

- Sonya (Any): Whether it's a 5-5 or 6-4, I feel these should all be the same. Your strategy doesn't change, and the variations don't provide her with better tools for getting in. Keep her grounded with IAFs and "Keep that ho out!"

- D'Vorah (Any): I agree with the others on this one. Not much else to add.

Other than those, I think everything else is spot on. Differences in opinion maybe, but again, I'd love to discuss it further with anyone, especially when it comes to Scorpion and Mileena.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
To this day, I still can't remember if it's hellfire or inferno that sends out the little minions, but Assassin definitely doesn't lose that. ANY minion gets punished on reaction by assassin strike. It's been like that since day 1, when assassin was ass. Now it got buffed and she does even better in the MU now.

Ninjutsu is a 5-5 as well and probably my favorite MU in the game. They counter each other so well, play the footsie game with each other so well and damage each other hard. Punishing f2 with TS is a plus as well and parry is a godsend. Seriously, this is the match where you will be using parry

Rozalin1780

To this day, I still can't remember if it's hellfire or inferno that sends out the little minions, but Assassin definitely doesn't lose that. ANY minion gets punished on reaction by assassin strike. It's been like that since day 1, when assassin was ass. Now it got buffed and she does even better in the MU now.

Ninjutsu is a 5-5 as well and probably my favorite MU in the game. They counter each other so well, play the footsie game with each other so well and damage each other hard. Punishing f2 with TS is a plus as well and parry is a godsend. Seriously, this is the match where you will be using parry
Inferno would be the one with minions.

What you say is true, surely. But most don't play Inferno like they used to (zoning with minions). The threat here, at least to me, is the vortex. Eating one jik or teleport and you're taking 30%ish and then stuck playing the 50/50 game afterward. Hellfire more or less does the same, with better tools than the minions.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Inferno would be the one with minions.

What you say is true, surely. But most don't play Inferno like they used to (zoning with minions). The threat here, at least to me, is the vortex. Eating one jik or teleport and you're taking 30%ish and then stuck playing the 50/50 game afterward. Hellfire more or less does the same, with better tools than the minions.
What vortex? His OH is super slow and easily reacted too. Literally just block low until you see the OH.

Rozalin1780

What vortex? His OH is super slow and easily reacted too. Literally just block low until you see the OH.
Thanks. I'll work on this.

What about Piercing? You mentioned before to play it patiently and walk in. Once close try to parry? Upon a successful parry, what would you normally follow up with? 21 pressure?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Thanks. I'll work on this.

What about Piercing? You mentioned before to play it patiently and walk in. Once close try to parry? Upon a successful parry, what would you normally follow up with? 21 pressure?
Jump float. It will make wake up roll whiff and you can punish it on recovery frame. After you teach Mileena to respect the njp, start doing b2/b3/throw mixup or pressure with 21 ex sharpen, F11 stagger (I just list some common stuffs). Keep distance and d1 fan check when necessary, but don't press buttons when you're minus because b1 will punish you.

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
Whats your thoughts on assassin v wrestler?

I just went 7-10 with this solid jax,

I couldn't lame him (kept d1-2 walking ) and when we was up close he would energy wave my parry so that stopped working.

he was so plus the only thing i could do was d3 grab

thoughts on this mu?

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Commando does better than cyber in this MU. If she goes even with cyber there's no way she wins over commando

Commando does better than cyber in this MU. If she goes even with cyber there's no way she wins over commando
Little exp here really I dont mind putting it as an even matchup, was 6/4 before KP2 patch tho, I wouldnt mind in changing it

I agree with most of what you have here @ragnar0kz28 however there are a couple I don't completely agree with. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm certainly open to anyone explaining to me if I am.

- Scorpion (any): I just don't see these as even. Maybe Ninjitsu is, which I used to struggle with also but have gotten better about. But Inferno and especially Hellfire do not seem even at all to me.

- Mileena (Piercing): Not trying to up-play her or anything, but I struggled with this match-up before her buffs. Just how are you supposed to approach her as Assassin? You're constantly checked with low sai, and jumping in gets you telekicked or rolled under. Then you're right back where you started. Sure, you can armor through a sai, but it's difficult to build meter against her. @xKhaoTik if you happen to have any footage showcasing the Assassin vs Piercing match-up, I'd love to see it and I'd be eternally grateful.

- Kung Lao (Tempest): I think this is about even, and one of the more fun match-ups. Yes, Buzzsaw has the mix-ups, but Tempest has the better wake-up that slows down Kitana's offense.

- Sub Zero (Grandmaster): I don't fear this nearly as much as I used to. I'd say it's even now. The buff to Assassin Strike really helped with dealing with klone corner traps and klone in general.

- Sektor: I've seen some good Sektors, but none that would convince me this is a 4-6 match-up. Up rockets can be walked around, and despite EX flame being a good wake-up, it doesn't combo or anything. Just get in and stay on him.

- Sonya (Any): Whether it's a 5-5 or 6-4, I feel these should all be the same. Your strategy doesn't change, and the variations don't provide her with better tools for getting in. Keep her grounded with IAFs and "Keep that ho out!"

- D'Vorah (Any): I agree with the others on this one. Not much else to add.

Other than those, I think everything else is spot on. Differences in opinion maybe, but again, I'd love to discuss it further with anyone, especially when it comes to Scorpion and Mileena.
Trying to roll vs kitana doenst work, she can float and fan punish the roll, at jump range is where the mind games begin, if she thinks you will jump she will do a telekick, if you dont jump and block Kitana can get a full combo punish, however if you jump you will eat the combo. If she throws a low say you can react jump and combo her or in the worst case get her to block the jumpin and start your pressure, parry works wonders at B12 range, I got a video, I didnt play that well tho and it still was somehow even

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Little exp here really I dont mind putting it as an even matchup, was 6/4 before KP2 patch tho, I wouldnt mind in changing it

Trying to roll vs kitana doenst work, she can float and fan punish the roll, at jump range is where the mind games begin, if she thinks you will jump she will do a telekick, if you dont jump and block Kitana can get a full combo punish, however if you jump you will eat the combo. If she throws a low say you can react jump and combo her or in the worst case get her to block the jumpin and start your pressure, parry works wonders at B12 range, I got a video, I didnt play that well tho and it still was somehow even
Not sure on the exact number for any variation but commando does better (not necessarily changing the number though) than cyber IMO. Would personally put it as 5-5.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Nop I really havnt seen anyone use Assassin as she is supposed to, most play her like RS and use sharpen
Ive played one dedicated assassin main (since day one I think) but they don't play mkx seriously so it's not really the best experience.

Rozalin1780

Thanks for this. Much appreciated! :)

Whats your thoughts on assassin v wrestler?

I just went 7-10 with this solid jax,

I couldn't lame him (kept d1-2 walking ) and when we was up close he would energy wave my parry so that stopped working.

he was so plus the only thing i could do was d3 grab

thoughts on this mu?
I think Jax has a small advantage here I put it at 4/6, but Im getting better vs Wrestler, If I block a purple projectile in the corner and he gets reckless, parry works wonders if done as a reversal (6f), at midscreen I do ok, my zoning is ok and I get to build good meter.

Mr.EditUndo

Meterburn the Meterburn
I think Jax has a small advantage here I put it at 4/6, but Im getting better vs Wrestler, If I block a purple projectile in the corner and he gets reckless, parry works wonders if done as a reversal (6f), at midscreen I do ok, my zoning is ok and I get to build good meter.
This might be one of my worst Mu, I'm grateful that his 11-grapple/123-grapple whiff sometimes

his purple projectile leaves his at +2

and I agree that parry is the best tool for him, but that personal set was long and he wouldn't fall for it.

Next time we do a set ill upload it