What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kitana My Kitana Assassin MUs

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
HelI I started with RS. Its my back up. With Mournful I just feel at home. It's the truth. That shadow kick is epic, the none brutality Staff Grab, Oh and did I mention still one hell of a zoner and lift hits dead in her face for jump ins...AHHH.......Uhh...Oh God. Excuse me...I need a tissue.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Yeah. Mournful all day son. Gotta live and breath glaives like fans. It works.
Just pointing out that every comment of yours mentions mournful.
I was actually about to ask him if he's trying to do a Mournful Kitana propaganda or what? hahaha
Hey Starcharger, are you playing on XBL or PSN? I'd like to get some games and see how you're doing with Mournful.

I forgot to ask. Is this an online Kitana MU list?
A combination of both I might be a little bit too obtimistic in some matchups but not like the other guy posted she has no 3/7 matchups loosing, also Kitana gains no lagtactics nor random advantages like Mileena and Liu, I can tell you my matches vs Sonya, Cassie, Imposter shinnok, raiden, devora swarm queen, Tempest lao, Takeda, Out law Erron. have been played extensively offline, those I can tell you 100% for shure I will stick to my numbers. I havnt seen a single Assassin Kitana player in a tournament anyways.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Winning mus
  • dragon nagita tanya
  • balanced kenshi
  • covert ops sonya
  • High tech/shotgun jaqui
  • Ethereal mileena
  • brawler cassie
  • jason
  • Goro(the variations without the fireballs)
I'm forgetting a few but yeah that's so far
I said 5-5 balanced and now you say Assasin wins....poor Pig
But Assasin cannot win Ethereal and Brawler

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
some Kitana matches, mirror was vs Trepound.
That Marksman was pretty impressive once he got something started. He kept letting you get away with murder though...anyway, keep grinding those MUs. I think at least half of those are losing MUs, and the rest probably even. Good luck man.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I said 5-5 balanced and now you say Assasin wins....poor Pig
But Assasin cannot win Ethereal and Brawler
Brawler (6-4) kitana's favor
  • Cassie's only decent tool is b1
  • gun shots lose in trades with fans
  • Cassie actually needs to get in and lacks the necessary tools to do so making it in kitana's favor
  • cassie's go to reversal is actually bad in this mu since it gives kitana the space she needs(i.e flip)
  • cassie needs to get in to win this and kitana's keep out is extremely strong
  • By the time cassie actually gets in kitana will already have enough meter for a breaker or armor
  • Parry is also strong against bad stagger pressure
Ethereal (5.5 - 4.5) kitana's favor
  • If kitana plays patiently she can murder mileena since she lacks her better tools (low sai, or grabs to make her mixup game scary)
  • Mileena needs to kill herself basically in order to open people up and kitana get's 30% for each attempt to do so, also overheads can be slightly telegraphed if you pay attention to meter
  • Ethereal is very strong against overly aggressive players who need to vortex and kitana can also punish bad reappears
  • fans beat sai's in trades, if mileena gets hit with a fan she can't do anything immediately right after like some other characters
  • Basically this mu is just wait for mileena to do something and then hurt her for it. Stay full screen and just crouch and make her kill herself
Balanced (6-4)
  • Kenshi has difficulty dealing with 2,1 pressure especially with his bad normals so her stagger pressure is really strong(he needs to armor through)
  • Run(assassin stab) beats half screen overhead clean and punishes him
  • Ex run beats telefury clean and depending on the distances is a full punish
  • Fans win in trade with telefury
  • Ex fans are difficult for kenshi to deal with because kitana can also out poke him
  • It's just not that pretty of a match up since she really can just run through all his pressure

SM StarGazer

I was actually about to ask him if he's trying to do a Mournful Kitana propaganda or what? hahaha
Hey Starcharger, are you playing on XBL or PSN? I'd like to get some games and see how you're doing with Mournful.
XBL SM StarGazer. Im at Absolute Battle right now setting up. Well be streaming tomorrow.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
  • If kitana plays patiently she can murder mileena since she lacks her better tools (low sai, or grabs to make her mixup game scary)
  • Mileena needs to kill herself basically in order to open people up and kitana get's 30% for each attempt to do so, also overheads can be slightly telegraphed if you pay attention to meter
  • Ethereal is very strong against overly aggressive players who need to vortex and kitana can also punish bad reappears
  • fans beat sai's in trades, if mileena gets hit with a fan she can't do anything immediately right after like some other characters
  • Basically this mu is just wait for mileena to do something and then hurt her for it. Stay full screen and just crouch and make her kill herself
Very true that sais and fans are a bad trade but if the Mileena makes the read that the Kitana is going to throw a fan its a free telekick that will connect every single time. Telekick also mops an air fan. Mileena owns the neutral game in the anti zoning department.

Just want to put that out there.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
The same can be said about Kitana.., "stay fullscreen and just crouch and make her kill herself"

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Brawler (6-4) kitana's favor
  • Cassie's only decent tool is b1
  • gun shots lose in trades with fans
  • Cassie actually needs to get in and lacks the necessary tools to do so making it in kitana's favor
  • cassie's go to reversal is actually bad in this mu since it gives kitana the space she needs(i.e flip)
  • cassie needs to get in to win this and kitana's keep out is extremely strong
  • By the time cassie actually gets in kitana will already have enough meter for a breaker or armor
  • Parry is also strong against bad stagger pressure
If Cassie's only decent tool is B1, Kitana has no decent tool at all. Sure Cassie is forced to get in (poor Brawler), but she can just walk and duck, taking no damage. At jump range she must block some fans or some normals from Kitana, but that's just less than 10% chip. Then she's in. All Kitana's armor is risky, if talking about risking something to get reward, remember Cassie has ex BF4 to full combo punish a fan throw from a jump range. All Cassie's combos ended with BF2 allow her to start the oki game, she got a 50/50 that breaks armors on knockdown.
Stagger pressure includes doing d3/d4. She's not Johnny who 11, 11, 11 into F2/F3 all day. She does strings that leave her at 0 or +1 on block, then wins your pokes. Her 8 frame d4 has hella range and her d3 is 7 frame. What does Kitana have to compete pokes with her? B124 is the only string punished (interrupted) by parry, but she can just bait with B12 block, B1 into d4. If you get hit by her d3/d4 then she will pull off the Brawler mixup, which has like 20 possibilities from her 8 popular strings. Her parry is not good at all against Cassie. DF1 is also a footsie tool that has hella range. Sure Kitana has strong keep out tool, but once Cassie corners Kitana she's helpless.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I disagree. I actually think that Mileena has an edge against Kitana, any variation against Assassin, she goes even in Ethereal/Ravenous against RS, but Piercing defeats RS IMO.

Why do people think Mileena has to yolo roll/telekick to win btw!?
People like to think that Kitana vs Mileena is the same MU as it was in MK9, but it is only in the most basic sense. Life lead is important, but Kitana lacks the whiff punishing she did in MK9 and Mileena has it in spades. Kitana can't throw out fans easily in this MU (AKA, her best tool) and Mileena gets a free telekick or roll into combo any time Kitana is too obvious.

In Ethereal, what exactly is Kitana punishing? Mileena can hit confirm most of her strings into EX fade for a full combo. And Assassin? Please throw out that parry, here comes Mileena's low starter. It's like, Mileena can be played safer, you don't have to yolo roll all day to open people up. If EX fade isn't an option? Insert whatever throw mixup you like, which is ironically the only way Kitana is mixing people up as well, and people seem to think that's just fine. And it's not like Kitana is even super out-damaging Mileena anymore.

If anyone thinks Cassie beats Kitana hit me on PS4 Ragnar0kz28 I will prove you wrong, no laggers plz I do need good reactions.

x MAD AXES x

Lighten up will ya!
Because winning MUs online with two people who aren't using the character at their full potential proves that it is a bad mu.

SM StarGazer

Saw a great Mournful Kitana here a ABSix. Got to commentate with Yipes and CDJr having a good time. Coached them up on how to deal with Kitana. It turned out to be what was needed. You should all tune in. Twitch.tv/Saltymayhem Pandaxgaming and versusgameplay. Follow me on twitter @Senpai69 for updates and changes.