What's new

Question My issues with GA - Looking for help

Erazor

Noob
So, after about a thousand (online) matches with GA here's a little breakdown of the issues I have with this character. I hope you guys can help me overcome these. Don't get confused by my somewhat negative tone, GA has a lot of strengths, but here I want to only discuss his flaws.

Jump-ins:
Tbqh I have no idea how the devs meant us to deal with these, for example batmans ji2. GA has quite a lot of anti-airs: d2, Sky Alert, Up Haven Blast and Up Arrow. But none of these are fast enough to consistently counter a jump-in on reaction. Yesterday I had an AI Batman jump at me and tried to anti-air it and the results were very poor. Today I fought a Batman player in an online match, same result. Out of desperation I started jumping at him as well, guess what, he couldn't defend it either... I'm quite good at blocking jump-ins, but punishing them is quite hard, if the opponent goes right into a string that's fast and safe on block.

Offense:
Oh how I enjoyed the early days of Injustice when you could actually zone with GA. That's long gone. The startup on the arrows is so incredibly high and on top of that they have a traveling time too, unlike Aquaman's or Raven's projectiles. Have you ever tried firing an arrow against a CPU Aquaman on very hard haha. I'm looking for some way to back up my approaches or make them a bit less predictable. Against certain characters I feel more like a Flash player who can't use projectiles either.
So how do I open up my opponent, for example Raven? The only viable strings are f2d13 and d1~arrow in my oppinion. A blocked 22(3) doesn't get you anywhere, 113 has short range and the first hit is high, b2 is inferior to f2d13 and b13 is crap anyways, not to mention 33.

General moveset:
I don't know what the devs thought when they developped GA's moveset. At first glance, it's just great, but now I feel the moves don't work together efficiently.

Hurricane Bow - useless out of combos or wakeup
Sky Alert - only good on read (or against Doomsday :D) or in combos
Up Haven Blast - only good on read or in combos
Savage Blast - for a zoner this would be a great move, but GA has to rush down most of the cast, so why would I want to use this? Good on wakeup though
Stinger - high risk, low reward, there mostly used in combos
Arrows - mostly used in combos because of slow startup
Dead on - useless move in my eyes

What I want to say is, GA's moves are best used in combos, but even than you don't get big damage off of them, so what were they designed for?

That's it for now, hope you guys can help me step up my game.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Well you can AA consistently with GA, but online it's nearly impossible.

Like offline I can AA batman on reaction 90% of the time, but online I usually just accept that I'm going to lose against jump happy batman players...

As far as zoning goes, you can still definitely zone if you can find a good time to load fire arrows.

You probably aren't going to be able to 100% zone somene out, but if you have the life lead and are forcing them into trading situations it can really work in your favor.

Erazor

Noob
Well you can AA consistently with GA, but online it's nearly impossible.

Like offline I can AA batman on reaction 90% of the time, but online I usually just accept that I'm going to lose against jump happy batman players...

As far as zoning goes, you can still definitely zone if you can find a good time to load fire arrows.

You probably aren't going to be able to 100% zone somene out, but if you have the life lead and are forcing them into trading situations it can really work in your favor.
Good to hear, what do you use as AA attack?

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Use fire arrows to knock him down then dash in for pressure. Against some characters you have to finish your combos with you holding icy arrow for low/overhead resets. Against other finish your combos with you holding fire arrow(they are faster then the electric and icy ones) to bite some wake ups then dash in again. You have to rush and run. Against Sinestro, I am not even trying to zone and I am using icy arrows on wake up. You have to be out of his df2 wake up. Against Batman: it is not that hard to block. If he goes for 224, you can D1~arrow on the second 2. Most Batman players I play are using B11 ALOT. Or JI2 11, then jump again then B11, then jump again: waiting for hit confirm.. His trait is easy to be jumped over or shoot an arrow. Even if you hit each other you will not eat full combo. You can actually zone out Batman. Fire arrows can be used and after every hit with them reload a fire arrows again. Use icy arrows up close only. About Batman's jumping....I have the same problem. So I stopped trying to AA him. Block and wait for the right moment. Try to stay out or be the one who is jumping. Batman's AA's sucks.

Erazor

Noob
Use fire arrows to knock him down then dash in for pressure. Against some characters you have to finish your combos with you holding icy arrow for low/overhead resets. Against other finish your combos with you holding fire arrow(they are faster then the electric and icy ones) to bite some wake ups then dash in again. You have to rush and run. Against Sinestro, I am not even trying to zone and I am using icy arrows on wake up. You have to be out of his df2 wake up. Against Batman: it is not that hard to block. If he goes for 224, you can D1~arrow on the second 2. Most Batman players I play are using B11 ALOT. Or JI2 11, then jump again then B11, then jump again: waiting for hit confirm.. His trait is easy to be jumped over or shoot an arrow. Even if you hit each other you will not eat full combo. You can actually zone out Batman. Fire arrows can be used and after every hit with them reload a fire arrows again. Use icy arrows up close only. About Batman's jumping....I have the same problem. So I stopped trying to AA him. Block and wait for the right moment. Try to stay out or be the one who is jumping. Batman's AA's sucks.
I'll try the vortex that ends with holding an ice arrow. Until now, I didn't like it all that much, because it seems to sacrifice a lot of damage. Which version do you use?
Thx for letting me know that Batmans 223 is interuptable, I'll try that.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
I'll try the vortex that ends with holding an ice arrow. Until now, I didn't like it all that much, because it seems to sacrifice a lot of damage. Which version do you use?
Thx for letting me know that Batmans 223 is interuptable, I'll try that.
Let say combo starter like F2D13, D~icy arrow, B3 dash in D2~stock icy arrow(reverse inputs), 223 hold arrow(the old BnB's are F2D13, D~icy arrow, B3, J3, 223~stock arrow(not holding it) and the other one F2D13, D~icy arrow, B3, dash in, DB1,DB1, 223~stock arrow(not holding it). The damage is the same. The first one does 1 or 2% less damage, but better set up. You can do that even after Super for another reset. Or instead of stocking icy arrow, go for fire arrows, because you are in good distance to get some more damage if they wake up or try to jump. That is Green Arrow.....in get some damage, prepare(stock the right arrow) and then watch what your opponent does and counter him, then again. Don't forget that his Super can be game changing if they already used the clash. After F2D13 on block is hard to escape and it combos on hit. There is a window where it can be escaped after 223~Super( on close to the ground airborne opponent). So after combo with ender 223 , if you are against opponent with bad wake up game(mostly online) and you have nothing to lose, you may take the risk. People say that those resets like 111~Super, F2D13~Super on block, D2~Super are easy to escape, but I don't think they can do it 10/10 times. Especially online.

Erazor

Noob
Let say combo starter like F2D13, D~icy arrow, B3 dash in D2~stock icy arrow(reverse inputs), 223 hold arrow(the old BnB's are F2D13, D~icy arrow, B3, J3, 223~stock arrow(not holding it) and the other one F2D13, D~icy arrow, B3, dash in, DB1,DB1, 223~stock arrow(not holding it). The damage is the same. The first one does 1 or 2% less damage, but better set up.
I'll definitely give it a try. The damage is 6-7% lower though, depending on what you do before the ice arrow.