What's new

General/Other My Issues with Catwoman.

The same thing I've been screaming at MK's Training Mode for the past 2 years :p

That's the one advantage/disadvantage with the HitBox: there's no arguing your mistakes. So when I have the same thing happening on my HitBox that you do on your stick, it means that my inputs are sloppy and for however many frames (those damned Sanwa buttons don't take many with their sensitivity) I am pressing both down and back together and getting the diagonal which in turn with the "MK" inputs equal the shortcut to Air Whip.

Bottom line is, this tech is going to require almost REO levels of execution to nail consistantly under battle conditions. Catwoman seems to be the execution-whore that Sonya and Skarlet were in MK. Take your time and work on accuracy. Before you know it, muscle memory will take over and you'll be hitting it consitantly enough for it to be reliable in tournaments.
I'm on pad and sonya isnt really hard, but otherwise...sure

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
FUUUUUCK THAT, I JUST INPUT ONLY D1, BF1 AND THAT SHIT CANCELLED INTO WHIP. CHARACTER OFFICIALLY UNUSABLE.
You're doing it wrong.

I'll post my controller settings when I get home. That's probably why you're messing up, some setup done incorrectly.

I have absolutely zero issue with execution for D1 linking to specials with her.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KC H0oKsw0rds

iK A B A L
So I guess the next question is: What options should a Catwoman player look for after getting a (jump in into) string blocked if she's not at significant advantage? Footsie out(mash d1)? Jump out? Back dash retreat and look for a whiff? I think maybe when the meta game evolves CWs will learn to block confirm into a stance back dash or stance 1 to safely reset their pressure.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So I guess the next question is: What options should a Catwoman player look for after getting a (jump in into) string blocked if she's not at significant advantage? Footsie out(mash d1)? Jump out? Back dash retreat and look for a whiff? I think maybe when the meta game evolves CWs will learn to block confirm into a stance back dash or stance 1 to safely reset their pressure.
If I jump in with a 2 or 1 and get blocked I usually go into her f112 string into Cat Claws. Claws is safe, so you're good to go there. Either that or continue with her b12d3 string into Cat Claws, they definitely won't be poking out of that one, and again, Cat Claws makes it safe on block.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
For the record even though I said Cat Claws was safe Flash's Lightning Uppercut can actually punish it. So it's at least -6. But with that pushback I don't know of anything else that could punish it. Lex's Corps Charge can't for example.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
I agre e
I love Catwoman to death, and I will refuse to drop her. In fact, I will continue to main her despite the glaring issues she seems to have. Prior to the game's release, I'd constantly hear about her being a possible candidate for Top 5, but now? You barely even hear anyone mention her name.

One of the most bizarre issues I've noticed? She's the ONLY character in the game who is at negative frames after both her B+3 AND F+3. In fact, only 4 characters in the game (Catwoman included) are negative on one of the charged moves at all, let alone BOTH of them. Sure, tell me her hitbox is small so she needs to be punished for it, that worked just as well for Mileena.

Another issue I feel she has is that her frame-traps are non-existant. Ok, so I've spent the entire match chasing Deathstroke down and I FINALLY have him in the corner. The best I have? A 6 frame high into a highly pokeable overhead with a 2 frame advantage, or a 15 frame mid which leads into a 3 frame advantage..... I suppose I could work some pressure with that, and/or try for some mix-ups that'll ultimately leave me at disadvantage, good thing.... wait... Deathstroke has a 7 frame mid leading into an attack which leaves him at +9 and an armorable B/F+3 which leave him at +10. I suppose a zoner does need that after all, God forbid THEY have to work at getting out of pressure.

I've also noticed a lack of options for her at mid-screen. She could use her whip I guess, but... oh... GL just got her with his 10 frame lift. Her d/f+3 is punishable on block, her dash is punishable on block, no range on her other normals... that leaves her with ji2. Very good move for whiff punishment, unless the opponent is abusing their invincible backdash. This brings up horrible match-ups (IMO mind you) such as Black Adam. Unless he does Black Magic at point blank range Catwoman can do nothing to punish him. All of her damage and punishment seems to come from correct reads, while other characters can simply take more risks and see what works. Catwoman makes the wrong read? You're easily eating 30-40%.

It just feels, again this is IMO, that she was heavily nerfed before release, and as to why I can't really be sure. Even Flash, with his lack of projectiles, has more options to keep pressure with +4 poke, +9 F+3, and a mid string leaving him +9 on block. Aquaman has lows and mix-ups all over with answer to everything, yet he gets a 7 frame mid into +10 on block overhead. Cyborg is a zoner who's air projectiles have ridiculous advantage on block, advantage on B/F+3's, and a 6 frame jab string which leads to a 18 frame advantage if you don't manage to poke out in time.

And even with all this, I don't feel like I want any of the above characters nerfed, I'd simply like Catwoman brought to their level. Again, this is all IMO and I know people won't agree, but it's something I felt I needed to get off my chest. If anything NRS, at least give her a set of bolas :([/quotee
I love Catwoman to death, and I will refuse to drop her. In fact, I will continue to main her despite the glaring issues she seems to have. Prior to the game's release, I'd constantly hear about her being a possible candidate for Top 5, but now? You barely even hear anyone mention her name.

One of the most bizarre issues I've noticed? She's the ONLY character in the game who is at negative frames after both her B+3 AND F+3. In fact, only 4 characters in the game (Catwoman included) are negative on one of the charged moves at all, let alone BOTH of them. Sure, tell me her hitbox is small so she needs to be punished for it, that worked just as well for Mileena.

Another issue I feel she has is that her frame-traps are non-existant. Ok, so I've spent the entire match chasing Deathstroke down and I FINALLY have him in the corner. The best I have? A 6 frame high into a highly pokeable overhead with a 2 frame advantage, or a 15 frame mid which leads into a 3 frame advantage..... I suppose I could work some pressure with that, and/or try for some mix-ups that'll ultimately leave me at disadvantage, good thing.... wait... Deathstroke has a 7 frame mid leading into an attack which leaves him at +9 and an armorable B/F+3 which leave him at +10. I suppose a zoner does need that after all, God forbid THEY have to work at getting out of pressure.

I've also noticed a lack of options for her at mid-screen. She could use her whip I guess, but... oh... GL just got her with his 10 frame lift. Her d/f+3 is punishable on block, her dash is punishable on block, no range on her other normals... that leaves her with ji2. Very good move for whiff punishment, unless the opponent is abusing their invincible backdash. This brings up horrible match-ups (IMO mind you) such as Black Adam. Unless he does Black Magic at point blank range Catwoman can do nothing to punish him. All of her damage and punishment seems to come from correct reads, while other characters can simply take more risks and see what works. Catwoman makes the wrong read? You're easily eating 30-40%.

It just feels, again this is IMO, that she was heavily nerfed before release, and as to why I can't really be sure. Even Flash, with his lack of projectiles, has more options to keep pressure with +4 poke, +9 F+3, and a mid string leaving him +9 on block. Aquaman has lows and mix-ups all over with answer to everything, yet he gets a 7 frame mid into +10 on block overhead. Cyborg is a zoner who's air projectiles have ridiculous advantage on block, advantage on B/F+3's, and a 6 frame jab string which leads to a 18 frame advantage if you don't manage to poke out in time.

And even with all this, I don't feel like I want any of the above characters nerfed, I'd simply like Catwoman brought to their level. Again, this is all IMO and I know people won't agree, but it's something I felt I needed to get off my chest. If anything NRS, at least give her a set of bolas :(
I Agree dude. she needs to be buff. She has no arsenals. The whip don't help that much. The whip need a xp where cat-woman can grapple her opponent like batman. She need to be faster so she can get those people who is out zoning her real fast.

Vagrant

Noob
Another issue I feel she has is that her frame-traps are non-existant. Ok, so I've spent the entire match chasing Deathstroke down and I FINALLY have him in the corner. The best I have? A 6 frame high into a highly pokeable overhead with a 2 frame advantage, or a 15 frame mid which leads into a 3 frame advantage..... I suppose I could work some pressure with that, and/or try for some mix-ups that'll ultimately leave me at disadvantage, good thing.... wait... Deathstroke has a 7 frame mid leading into an attack which leaves him at +9 and an armorable B/F+3 which leave him at +10. I suppose a zoner does need that after all, God forbid THEY have to work at getting out of pressure
GGA 16 Bit destroyed me with her when we ran this MU in casuals.... It's by no means undoable.... You're just doing it wrong....

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
GGA 16 Bit destroyed me with her when we ran this MU in casuals.... It's by no means undoable.... You're just doing it wrong....
lol, I hardly think the same about the character as I do when I first picked up the game, and I'm slowly leveling up with her. Also, 16bit is amazing, so maybe he's just better than you and you're doing Deathstroke wrong. On that note, I'm still glad I made this thread, because some valuable information has been shared which will help any Catwoman player.

Batman-IGAU that's probably some of the most fail logic I've ever heard.

Belial

Noob
Lex Charge cannot punish Claw

Overall CatWoman is a very interesting character. She has a bad matchup with Aqua, I think, which is one of the most played characters right now.
I think eventually the game will downgrade to footsies, like MK, and Catwoman will be a decent character then.

edit: oh and i think most complaints about frames come from online play. its difficult to play this game online, as there is no buffering just like MK9.