What's new

My Impressions of MLG Dallas

This was my first major, i went 0-2, but it was fun.
here's a list of observations i made:
1) Everyone looks shorter in person except for Pig Of The Hut. for some reason he's taller in person.
2) MLG's rules are strange
3) Good place to learn. if you dont learn and adapt while playing you will lose.
4) one of the most fun weekends i have had in a while.
5) always do button checks Tom Brady
6) People want to play with you more the better you are.
7) Playing casuals in hotel rooms is really impractical because of both #6 and because of how many people are waiting to play.
8) those chocolate pretzels were ok, but the girls giving them away were... dayum. same for the dr pepper
9) MLG is an expensive venture.
10) everyone was so nice
11) the running gags were funny, but a lot of the shit talking was way over the top.
12) the location could have been better: somewhere closer to more restaurant options.
13) speaking of food, i wish they had food at the venue that wasnt obscenely overpriced.
14) ps all stars was fun, but it's no tournament game. too random.
15) i like all the little giveaways and side stations and whatnot
16) i cannot understand the fanbase for watching starcraft. nor do i understand the hype. it's like a more visual game of chess, how is that hype? wtf.
17) everyone and their mom plays either kabal or cyrax
18) I refuse ever to go 0-2 again. honestly both of my matches were ok, Claude VonStroke adapted a lot better than me and K7L33THA outplayed me, but i know in both there were things i could have done to win.
19) i liked that the stupid people on this site werent there. it was only people who take this game seriously or support the community and not people who come here to bitch or waste time. in order not to derail this thread i wont mention names.
20) Crazy Dominican is rediiiiiculus, much respect.
I will keep adding to this list, but that's what comes to mind right now.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My impressions of MLG Dallas

1. Blake is way shorter than I thought
2. Billstickers isn't a 30 year old bearded man unlike I thought
3. Joker isn't black like I thought (I wasn't the only one who thought this apparently)
4. Crazy Dominican is free
5. Overall, everyone has leveled up immensely
6. The foreign players definitely exceeded expectations and we can no longer say no one stands a chance vs USA even though they didn't make top 8
7. NY still #1
8. MK isn't dead.

rawool

Noob
Rather than starting a new thread, I'm just going to post mine in here, too.

I'm relatively new to the MK scene. I discovered and lurked TYM around the time MK9 was released and, since then, have only been a casual player and a dedicated fan, having watched about every live and archived stream dating back to the PDP tournament in 2011.

I'm dating myself here, but it's been nearly 10 years since I've attended a major competitive gaming tournament (I used to play Counter-Strike). MLG Dallas was my first major for a fighting game, and man, I had forgotten how much fun and exciting these events are. I didn't get to practice much due to school and work, but I still wanted to make the event to support the scene and meet some people.

Thanks to rev0lver for allowing me to split a room with him at the Omni. I believe it made a huge difference staying with a known player, as he introduced me to several other great players and took me to their hotel rooms for casuals.

The level of competition at this event was incredible, and quite possibly the best ever IMO. It was ridiculous listening to the top players such as Pig, REO, CD brothers, 16bit, Dizzy talk about the game; from frame data of every move to peculiar details of every single character, they know like their back of their hand. Not just knowing information, but to actually use it in their training and in tournament play was amazing. They are just on another level. None the less, everyone has improved tremendously. I was shocked when PL and CDjr were eliminated early, but it goes to show how deep this tournament was. Props to Madzin and gross for playing well, despite all the pre-tournament drama.

After the tournament, a majority of the players all went to go eat together afterwards. Even with all the crap talk, in the end, more friendships are made through this game. It's awesome to see players from all over the country come together to play a game they love. It's like a brotherhood.

Some more photos: http://imgur.com/a/Fjyyk

There's too many people to name, but everyone I met were friendly and courteous. Thanks to all.

Lulzlou

Noob
Surprisingly I didn't get a lot of shit for being a hitbox Kabal. One of the guys that I played in tournament got up and said "your character is fucking broken." I know he didn't mean much by it but it kinda brought me down. He did end up coming up to me after and asked to run that mu with him.

I thought I was going to get a lot of shit going into dallas. Ended up being the opposite. I thank everyone that gave me props, it was definitely a confidence booster.

Surprisingly I didn't get a lot of shit for being a hitbox Kabal. One of the guys that I played in tournament got up and said "your character is fucking broken." I know he didn't mean much by it but it kinda brought me down. He did end up coming up to me after and asked to run that mu with him.

I thought I was going to get a lot of shit going into dallas. Ended up being the opposite. I thank everyone that gave me props, it was definitely a confidence booster.
dude, kabal is so cheap... spammer, lol
no but seriously though you were so fun to play against. anyone who thinks you're good because of your character is f*****g retarded, the work you have put in is clear.

Lulzlou

Noob
dude, kabal is so cheap... spammer, lol
no but seriously though you were so fun to play against. anyone who thinks you're good because of your character is f*****g retarded, the work you have put in is clear.
well considering I worked on this character from top to bottom without any help, I indeed put in a lot of work. Its been a rough time getting to the point where I'm at now. I feel like NEC will be my time to shine :3

Thanks though man, it means a lot.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
16) i cannot understand the fanbase for watching starcraft. nor do i understand the hype. it's like a more visual game of chess, how is that hype? wtf.
The game is EXTREMELY hype because of how smart the players' decisions are, and how they get away with it or get counter'd. It is also the sequel of what could be considered the best game ever. (both in competitive and casual play)

Chess takes outstanding thinking, too.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Let me put it like this.

I had an awesome time, but I was disappointed in how Hollywood some of the people are.

Vegas/Dallas guys are too fucking legit. They kicked ass.
Yeah, i got not-even-acknowledged by one of the first people i went up and introduced myself to, lol. Tried not to let it shake me though. The rest of the weekend was fucking amazing.

Glad i got to show people that I'm a real person! Haha

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
My impressions:
1. Pig can RAAAGE like I never thought possible (especially against Gross). Lol, this guy should play Kratos because the rage of the gods will be with him Pig Of The Hut but he also saved my ass when I had flight issues, so I am grateful.
2. I placed higher than PL in a tourney :p
3. The MK community is super stacked right now- there are almost no free wins in pools.
4. The community is also stronger right now than it has ever been. Dallas was definitely its best showing in quite some time.
5. I also thought Joker8417 was black.
6. I love the new "benq" monitors ;)
7. Dallas, Texas is my motherland and I need to go back sometime
8. Gamerblake90 loves to hog the bed.
9. I am free in salty runbacks.
10. I am the best Shang Tsung.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
It's really not complicated to understand. It's one of the best and most balanced games to come out for PC in over a decade. And it's fucking far from playing chess, what a stupid analogy. It's like saying MK is a glorified Pong game.

I respect top Starcraft players as much as I respect top MK players.

10. I am the best Shang Tsung.
Not too sure, few other Shang's had some major combo swag going... :p

redeyes

Button Masher
It's really not complicated to understand. It's one of the best and most balanced games to come out for PC in over a decade. And it's fucking far from playing chess, what a stupid analogy. It's like saying MK is a glorified Pong game.

I respect top Starcraft players as much as I respect top MK players.
dont disagree with toro you will never win...