What's new

My frame data confusion

fireborg

Noob
Im bit tired so please do apoligize if something sounds bit silly or soem

So what really is 60 Fps?

So a second consits of 100 hundredths, right? And the game runs at 60fps

100 / 60 = 1.6 so 1 frame is effectivly 1'6 hundredths of a second, right?

Example you get a 60 frame advantage, so you have 1 second to followup?

Opponent did something that is -60, i have a second to react and punish?

I got a feeling it does not add up, for example +21 frame advatage seems almost like a second of time to me

So really just how quick your reactions got to be and how much time a frame advantage gives you?

To wrap up this confused post about my fd confusion, in short distance it is obvious what is safe, unsafe, punisahble, but can also anyone advice what the FD got to be to able punish whiffs at medium or long range?

Thanks boyzz ( and girls? ;)

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
60 FPS = 60 frames(images) on screen per second. So yes, you have the right idea about frame counts and whatnot.

It seems you are getting hung up on the timing because you aren't considering that frame advantage only refers to the advantage AFTER your move is over and when your character can move again.

Say a move causes 30 frames of block stun and on hit/block it has recovery for 20 frames. When the opponent blocks that move, they can do nothing but block for 30 frames. But your move wouldn't be +30 frame advantage on block, because you can't move until 20 frames after it hits. You would be +10 instead. But you can still react to the recovery animation, you clearly see in that 20 frames that your move has been blocked, so you can then use your +10 to your advantage because you have way more then just 10 frames(1/6th second) to react.

There may be moves where the recovery and animations go so fast that you can't react well, like some F3's are plus but you can't really react to the F3 being blocked so if you want to do some pressure you have to commit without knowing that the move will be blocked. Another good example would be a lot of D1's on hit. If you do a D1, you get some advantage and can jail into a high. But you can't tell that your d1 hit fast enough to jail into that normal. Same idea when people complain about punishing Flash's Lighting Kick or Robin's Assassin's Strike because those moves have so little blockstun and whatnot. The moves are punishable, but it can be tough to react to the moves fast enough to punish them.

Let me know if that clears it up at all.

Edit: And I'll throw this in there.

Block Stun: When opponent is stuck after blocking a move, where they can only block or not block.

Recovery: The frames of a move after the move hits or is blocked where the move is no longer active. You can perform no actions in this state unless you can cancel into a special or continue a string.

Frame Advantage: The amount of frames a character is able to move before the opposing character. I put the opponent in block stun, my move recovered before their blockstun ran out, and thus I had frame advantage.

Block Stun - Recovery = Frame Advantage

The math isn't important though, just think of frames as a unit of time that is 1/60th of a second, and frame advantage means the frames you can move before your opponent can.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Do not think much about real time, think of frames as something that happens on some instants.
The trick its to know if your character can punish things when someone its minus enough to do it, the rest is just experience.

If you are getting too confused with reactions put it this way.

a) The fastest human reaction to a move that someone knows its definitely coming and there is no like a trick to an alternative option coming up its 15 frames.

b) Common and average human reaction from fighting gamers, goes from 19 to 24 frames for high level players

c) Less experienced players may react to actions a little bit late than 24 or 25 frames

If you want to take a look at those examples i put under some MKX matches can give you an idea

fireborg

Noob
Yo guys bare with me a bit as i am on vacation in Colombia lol, i want to read your replies properly, all the help is appriciated!

I get back to yall, thanks

Ps: the vidz look sick

fireborg

Noob
Will be honest , im not sure i understood everything , but dont want to keep you without a reply any longer ( not sure if you read my latest post in the thread )

Thanks for the advice , what goes for counting how plus / minus i am, usually have no prob with that

Maybe you right, maybe i just put maths aside and do training mode labing and get a feel for how much time for reaction diffrent frame advantages give me

60 FPS = 60 frames(images) on screen per second. So yes, you have the right idea about frame counts and whatnot.

It seems you are getting hung up on the timing because you aren't considering that frame advantage only refers to the advantage AFTER your move is over and when your character can move again.

Say a move causes 30 frames of block stun and on hit/block it has recovery for 20 frames. When the opponent blocks that move, they can do nothing but block for 30 frames. But your move wouldn't be +30 frame advantage on block, because you can't move until 20 frames after it hits. You would be +10 instead. But you can still react to the recovery animation, you clearly see in that 20 frames that your move has been blocked, so you can then use your +10 to your advantage because you have way more then just 10 frames(1/6th second) to react.

There may be moves where the recovery and animations go so fast that you can't react well, like some F3's are plus but you can't really react to the F3 being blocked so if you want to do some pressure you have to commit without knowing that the move will be blocked. Another good example would be a lot of D1's on hit. If you do a D1, you get some advantage and can jail into a high. But you can't tell that your d1 hit fast enough to jail into that normal. Same idea when people complain about punishing Flash's Lighting Kick or Robin's Assassin's Strike because those moves have so little blockstun and whatnot. The moves are punishable, but it can be tough to react to the moves fast enough to punish them.

Let me know if that clears it up at all.

Edit: And I'll throw this in there.

Block Stun: When opponent is stuck after blocking a move, where they can only block or not block.

Recovery: The frames of a move after the move hits or is blocked where the move is no longer active. You can perform no actions in this state unless you can cancel into a special or continue a string.

Frame Advantage: The amount of frames a character is able to move before the opposing character. I put the opponent in block stun, my move recovered before their blockstun ran out, and thus I had frame advantage.

Block Stun - Recovery = Frame Advantage

The math isn't important though, just think of frames as a unit of time that is 1/60th of a second, and frame advantage means the frames you can move before your opponent can.

fireborg

Noob
Hey dude thanks again for the tips

Do not think much about real time, think of frames as something that happens on some instants.
The trick its to know if your character can punish things when someone its minus enough to do it, the rest is just experience.

If you are getting too confused with reactions put it this way.

a) The fastest human reaction to a move that someone knows its definitely coming and there is no like a trick to an alternative option coming up its 15 frames.

b) Common and average human reaction from fighting gamers, goes from 19 to 24 frames for high level players

c) Less experienced players may react to actions a little bit late than 24 or 25 frames

If you want to take a look at those examples i put under some MKX matches can give you an idea