What's new

"Must I remind you of my superiority?" - Lex Luthor General Discussion (Version 1.06)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I haven't tested that lol. It would be crazy if they could push block a probe, but I will check to make sure.

Can't test it now since I'm on vacation, but I'll try it when I get back to my apartment.

....but I swear, if I find out probes can be push blocked, I will throw my Xbox 360 out the window while the Injustice disc is still spinning inside it...
most things can be pushblocked as long as it's up close. that's why i figured it might be a problem.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I found this really weird corp charge vortex type of thing.

If you jump over your opponent and reverse corp charge when your feet are at their head, you can dash up and either neutral jump to crossup/reverse wakeups or stand which will create a normal situation. If you jump and they do something where you can corp charge again you can keep doing it. It's really weird and doesn't look like it makes sense but it works.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Does Lex have any ungrabeable moves?
I know vacuum is actually partly throw invincible. His b3 also moves his hitbox back pretty well. I haven't tested enough against regular command grabs but I have a setup against Grundy where I'll do 112 to have the slight switch between the two 1's happen when the grab happens which will make it whiff.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
So I played a bunch of Lex last night. He can no longer blow up the wake ups of characters like:

Aquaman, Batgirl, Bane, Catwoman, Deathstroke, Doomsday, MMH, Harley, Hawkgirl, Nightwing....fuck it, lets just say 80-90% of the cast mid screen.

Nearly every character gets to wake up for free now, completely negating any mine setups at the end of the combo and anyone who knows the LL matchup can fairly effectively block setups that dont include push block.

My question is...Why use the mine at all now unless you're turtling? Chaining mine setups just got so much more difficult and I'd like to hear your opinions. Lex is just my alt, but I really enjoy playing as him and I'd like to know what direction you guys are taking the character now.

@LtLuthor
@rev0lver
@imblackjames
@Fromundaman

Last edited:

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
So I played a bunch of Lex last night. He can no longer blow up the wake ups of characters like:

Aquaman, Batgirl, Bane, Catwoman, Deathstroke, Doomsday, MMH, Harley, Hawkgirl, Nightwing....fuck it, lets just say 80-90% of the cast mid screen.

Nearly every character gets to wake up for free now, completely negating any mine setups at the end of the combo and anyone who knows the LL matchup can fairly effectively block setups that dont include push block.

My question is...Why use the mine at all now unless you're turtling? Chaining mine setups just got so much more difficult and I'd like to hear your opinions. Lex is just my alt, but I really enjoy playing as him and I'd like to know what direction you guys are taking the character now.

@LtLuthor
@rev0lver
@imblackjames
@Fromundaman
Mid screen armor + mine on wake ups is still an effective tool to use. Sure we can't push block them into a mine for damage. The good thing about lex is that he had so many options for spacing and getting characters where we want them to be honestly i rarely ever use pushblock into the mine set ups and now even if we do we'll get a free probe or time to set up trait thus making it still a good tool to use.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Mid screen armor + mine on wake ups is still an effective tool to use. Sure we can't push block them into a mine for damage. The good thing about lex is that he had so many options for spacing and getting characters where we want them to be honestly i rarely ever use pushblock into the mine set ups and now even if we do we'll get a free probe or time to set up trait thus making it still a good tool to use.
I would personally never blow meter on push block into mine just to get armor or throw a probe. I feel like you would be better off ending the combo with B2~Probe(s) to take them to 50/50 town.

So beyond push blocking them into a mine so that you can trait up or throw a probe, what's the point? I play a bunch of people who can block almost all LL's shenanigans that knock you into a mine. The only one that's very effective is the Lex Earth Shaker setup which is hard as fuck to block. Also tough to do, especially online.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I would personally never blow meter on push block into mine just to get armor or throw a probe. I feel like you would be better off ending the combo with B2~Probe(s) to take them to 50/50 town.

So beyond push blocking them into a mine so that you can trait up or throw a probe, what's the point? I play a bunch of people who can block almost all LL's shenanigans that knock you into a mine. The only one that's very effective is the Lex Earth Shaker setup which is hard as fuck to block. Also tough to do, especially online.
Its not a waste of meter because lex with armor on wake up is scary. Itll make them think twice about attacking you. which leads to a 50/50 on wake up for 40-50% depending in meter

Its all any lexs set ups and mix ups with all his toys. You shouldn't really be doing only one thing all the time. You have to keep doing stuff to make your opponent guess how you're going to hit them next. So every once and a while end in b2-probe and see how they respond or end in b2 trait dash or lance cancel. Or do u3-to any of those for spacing. The mine pushblock for me was a very small part of his over all mind game tactic

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Its not a waste of meter because lex with armor on wake up is scary. Itll make them think twice about attacking you. which leads to a 50/50 on wake up for 40-50% depending in meter

Its all any lexs set ups and mix ups with all his toys. You shouldn't really be doing only one thing all the time. You have to keep doing stuff to make your opponent guess how you're going to hit them next. So every once and a while end in b2-probe and see how they respond or end in b2 trait dash or lance cancel. Or do u3-to any of those for spacing. The mine pushblock for me was a very small part of his over all mind game tactic
1st things 1st here...I know how to play Lex. I'm not asking for help. Please understand I do not go for push block into mine every time i end a combo. The question remains:

Besides push blocking into a mine and losing a bar of precious meter for a possible setup, what is the point of using mines at the end of a combo? There is very little mind game there anymore. All most characters have to do now, is use their safest wake up and it's negated, or block whatever string you throw out. I dont want to deal in absolutes. I understand the mine will still catch people off guard, but the fact remains that it's lost a lot of it's worth.

I just wanted to know what everyone would do now that throwing one out is mostly useless.

Last thing...what combo are you doing mid screen that gets you to 50%?

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
1st things 1st here...I know how to play Lex. I'm not asking for help. Please understand I do not go for push block into mine every time i end a combo. The question remains:

Besides push blocking into a mine and losing a bar of precious meter for a possible setup, what is the point of using mines at the end of a combo? There is very little mind game there anymore. All most characters have to do now, is use their safest wake up and it's negated, or block whatever string you throw out. I dont want to deal in absolutes. I understand the mine will still catch people off guard, but the fact remains that it's lost a lot of it's worth.

I just wanted to know what everyone would do now that throwing one out is mostly useless.

Last thing...what combo are you doing mid screen that gets you to 50%?
if you do a combo and end in b2-mid mine and they dont wake up you have the option to do a 50/50 that gives big damage if not you bait the wake up for a punish of some kind. that's why i think its not mostly useless especially if you have armor up.

Now I'm siting this combo from memory ill have an exact one later when im home. Its after the mid mine set up at the end of a combo (b2-mid mine)

B2,u3,d3, b3, j2, 2, mb vacuum, j2, u3 vacuum

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
@Name v.5.0 to add to what @imblackjames said, there's a ton of ways to use mine setups that don't involve pushblock or even need the threat of it. You can blow up a lot of wakeups with the right timing anyway to trap them into mines. Doing this, baiting unsafe wakeups and punishing, using mb f3, trait( obviously), etc are all still good options. Most good players are going to be rolling mine setups anyway and don't give you that option. Pushblocks were more for it being there when they really have to deal with it.

And you can get 50%+ on a lot of combos into mines. Especially when you have bg bounces available you can push 60 with a couple bars.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
@Name v.5.0 to add to what @imblackjames said, there's a ton of ways to use mine setups that don't involve pushblock or even need the threat of it. You can blow up a lot of wakeups with the right timing anyway to trap them into mines. Doing this, baiting unsafe wakeups and punishing, using mb f3, trait( obviously), etc are all still good options. Most good players are going to be rolling mine setups anyway and don't give you that option. Pushblocks were more for it being there when they really have to deal with it.

And you can get 50%+ on a lot of combos into mines. Especially when you have bg bounces available you can push 60 with a couple bars.
Way to say what i was trying to say but better lol

Last edited:
So ive been trying and trying but I can't seem to blow up DS's sword spin on wakeup- does anyone know how to do this?

Without damage on pushblock, that's pretty much my last option to apply any Oki to DS at all- otherwise he gets up completely free after any hard knockdown.

Most good players are going to be rolling mine setups anyway and don't give you that option. Pushblocks were more for it being there when they really have to deal with it.
The threat of having to block a Ji3 and then a mine instantly after gave pretty good incentive for them to avoid tech rolling.

Even online I can get the timing down for a b2 xx mine, then an instant-air Ji3 such that the overhead hits before, and will combo them into the mine (because it doesn't become active until after the Ji3 hits) if they tech roll onto it and block low.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The threat of having to block a Ji3 and then a mine instantly after gave pretty good incentive for them to avoid tech rolling.

Even online I can get the timing down for a b2 xx mine, then an instant-air Ji3 such that the overhead hits before, and will combo them into the mine (because it doesn't become active until after the Ji3 hits) if they tech roll onto it and block low.
Without trait you're not accounting for wakeups, that's the problem.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Personally I do my mine set-ups and instantly start prepping orbs and shit lol. My mines take up the raw and tech-wake up options and the full roll leaves the mine out so yeah

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
You know what's really useless? Mb mines! The combo afterward is terribly low damage wise even with 2 bars

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Forgot I had something to put in this thread.

Thanks for tagging me in the tech you found, but unfortunately I ended up dropping Lex for Joker and am looking for a new secondary since Lex doesn't cover any of Joker's bad matchups.