What's new

Mr. Aquaman Teases Return of Kombat Cup

Mr. Aquaman, notable mustache aficionado, is known for many things in the NRS community: being one of two people to play Ares in IGAU, his amazing commentary work after Ares drove him to retire, and for hosting two gigantic online competitive leagues for MKX and Injustice 2. And as of last night, it seems like we can add Mortal Kombat 11 to the list.

Dropping that image on Twitter last night, it looks like we can expect some dates and details coming up in the next few weeks (possibly at Combo Breaker?) for Kombat Cup 2019. If you missed out on the past few leagues, the Kombat Cup (and it's Injustice 2 variant, War of the Gods) is a 10-week long event where you can just play for money from the comfort of your home. There were smaller, weekly payouts, with everyone earning points to play in the big finale once everything was said and done. Free to enter and you don't necessarily need to win every week to make the finale. In past years, Semiij, Rewind, and Tweedy have dominated the event, but this could be the year somebody new takes the throne.

Of course, we don't quite know if the new Kombat Cup will follow the same format or if they'll be trying something different this time around. We'll keep y'all updated when we know more.

Comments

One of the events that I find genuinely informative and entertaining. Personally, I think the vast majority of FG commentators should take notes during these. I am very much looking forward to the new Kup.

I wear I waited every week for this... literally have some amazing memories watching this. Reminded me of the ESL weeklies. What's cool is now I'll compete in some of these lmao. Get bodied, but who cares!

I do want to give a shoutout to @HellblazerHawkman and @Jolt for their work on the MKX thing last weekend despite the logistical issues. I ambushed my buddy by signing him up and we thoroughly enjoyed his asswhooping and the commentators approving of his "spunk". We will definitely be following along if those guys do more.

One of the events that I find genuinely informative and entertaining. Personally, I think the vast majority of FG commentators should take notes during these. I am very much looking forward to the new Kup.
Right? I find a lot of FGC commentators annoying these days. If they're not screaming in (intentionally) broken english, they're acting like douchebags (lambasting the players, etc.) There's definitely a few exceptions though.