What's new

Most Optimal Frost Kustom?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So with kustoms coming, I was thinking what is the strongest Frost kustom we can come up with. I have a few ideas and hopefully we can find the version that gives the most bang for the buck. Im mainly familiar with the tourney variations so other moves like her Core trap or Burrowing auger are a bit alien to me since I never really explored them.

KUSTOM 1 (combined the best worlds of Ice machine and AA) : Dive kick, Microburst, Ice Auger
  • You get combo extensions with the combo of the microburst and augers (i found an easy ~380 dmg 2-bar midscreen combo for example)
  • You can counter zoning with the dive kick
  • Dive kick grants mobility and air control
  • Great range with the auger
  • Safe-ish pressure (Amp Ice Auger)
  • Microburst being a mid means you can cancel it after a poke in case the opponent tries to take their turn back
  • You have access to unbreakable set up with the microburst as well
KUSTOM 2 (combined the best worlds of FrostByte and AA) : Cryogenic Crown, Ice Auger
  • Safe-ish pressure (Amp Ice Auger)
  • Ground control with the ice bomb
  • Great range with the auger
  • You have access to many setups with the bomb
  • Very good damage that is now accessible without needing contrived situations
  • When the crown is down, opponent has to stop zoning, giving you an opportunity to close the distance (How effective is the crown as an anti-zoning measure @scarsunseen ?)
KUSTOM 3: Maybe something with Core Trap? Any ideas?

There are moves I'm not a fan of and maybe someone that knows more about them can enlighten me but I find those pretty useless
  • Core Overload: Rarely ever lands, very situational, not worth the meter
  • Auger Lunge as an ender: Mainly used as an ender, Grenades keep opponents at the perfect distance and spin is good for dmg.
  • Arctic Barrage: Mainly used as an ender, and while it might be better than auger lunge because it hits overhead, I find it hard to really waste a spot for it.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I recently uploaded a bunch of custom combos. I was gonna make a video thread :p gimme a little bit.
awwwww shiiiiiiii nice
I saw some of the combo videos you did, it inspired me to make this thread :D
Im experimenting with Core trap, seems pretty garbage

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
awwwww shiiiiiiii nice
I saw some of the combo videos you did, it inspired me to make this thread :D
Im experimenting with Core trap, seems pretty garbage
I feel like Core Trap will probably be banned tbh. Combined with the right setups and timing, she gets unblockable resets.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Eh i'll just put it here. No need to make another thread. I think Ice Auger/Bomb is going to be really good, especially in the corner. The bomb/dd3-amp combination is really fun and does a ton of damage, but requires a LOT of setup. Haven't messed with Auger Lunge too much tbh.

Ending a combo with amplified ice auger give Frost a lot of time to set up a bomb and oki.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I prefer microburst, auger lunge and ice auger.
I find the KB and damage ender to be more useful than the dive kick.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Eh i'll just put it here. No need to make another thread. I think Ice Auger/Bomb is going to be really good, especially in the corner. The bomb/dd3-amp combination is really fun and does a ton of damage, but requires a LOT of setup. Haven't messed with Auger Lunge too much tbh.

Ending a combo with amplified ice auger give Frost a lot of time to set up a bomb and oki.

Wow those setups with the KB auger though. Those combos with the core overload wow the damage. Im still not super convinced of the viability of using core overload in a match. I have difficulty landing it.

As for ending a combo with amp auger to set up a bomb on oki, thats fucking sick

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Oh interesting, how come you decided to go for the auger lunge?
Better converts off jik (just dial it in and you get 20% for a bar), more damaging combo ender, and the KB gives you nice damage (37-40%) for a bar midscreen.

Wigy

There it is...
Also air quake and bomb might have potential.

bomb- instant jk into dive bomb covers them jumping in the corner.

midscreen with the right spacing, bomb j2 divebomb covers them jumping forward and back.

not super safe but covers people jumping like maniacs.

not had time to lab properly, you guys can probably flesh it out better.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Also air quake and bomb might have potential.

bomb- instant jk into dive bomb covers them jumping in the corner.

midscreen with the right spacing, bomb j2 divebomb covers them jumping forward and back.

not super safe but covers people jumping like maniacs.

not had time to lab properly, you guys can probably flesh it out better.
I labbed dive/bomb a while back. She issue I have with Frost-byte V1 is that it's sometimes difficult against heavy zoners. Dive definitely helps getting in. Launch a far bomb, dive in, or bait a teleport.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Oooo ice auger KB into auger lunge is unbreakable! Potential DOUBLE KB

Loading up core overload after amp microburst into +5

See description

Last edited:

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Yea I'm not crazy about burrowing auger tbh. With a good oki, you can make the auger around +30 on block on wake-up. They'd have to tech roll or hold it. I find that burrowing auger pushes them away from me more than i like.

<- i love this variation

plus setup, works midscreen too

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I don't have a setup thinking bone in my body, so I'm probably just going to swap Artic Anarchy's Core Overload I never use for either Glacier Calving, or Auger Lunge and hope that is good enough.

Lunge gives added corner carry with meter, and a pop up KB that will probably be hard to hit the way I spend meter. But for 1 bar you can get at least 405dmg off of b3 and take them from mid screen into the corner with it.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Ok So I tested a few things out with a few variations and heres where Im at (saved my favorite one for last :D ):

Kombo 1 (Microburst, Ice Trap )
  • I like the setup with the grab (really catches ppl off guard online :D) but the problem is that the setup uses all your offensive meter and the setup requires you to poke them to reset for a grab or else they wont get frozen. Its at this point where the mind game starts ("Should I poke and grab? I did it last time, will he expect it? should I poke twice then grab? or they're expecting a poke so I should grab right away, etc") with a similar appraisal of the situation going on in the opponent's head. This toss up is her only avenue with the core trap since the move, overall sucks in terms of only freezing on the edges.
  • So you have to rely on your microburst without the benefit of the grenades, nor the core shield. You lose the mobility gained by a dive kick, you lose the space control given by the bomb.
  • OVERALL: Not worth it IMO.
Kombo 2 (Augers, Cryogenic crown)
  • The setups are good but throwing a crown after your B22 has been blocked is always a bad choice if your opponent has the reactions. The bomb was mainly used to control my opponents movement. I feel people who know the MU might be able to get out of many of her setups but Im not sure
  • @scarsunseen have you tried this variation online? Any comments as to how it plays?
Kombo 3 (Augers, Burrowing Augers)
  • So I read some of you arent fans of Burrowing but I noticed something while using this variation. If I was using AA variation, my combo enders would revolve around close grenade for hard & close knockdown followed by 22 to gain +5 on block or spin to get damage but reset the neutral. if the 1st option was chosen, the person could either wake up (U3, Roll F or B) after the grenade or backdash/flawless block after 22 to punish. Basically 2 areas where mindgames (like the one above) determine who comes out on top.
  • With Burrowing Auger, ending a combo with B1~Burrowing Auger, means the person can either do a wake up (U3, Roll F or B) or block (you're at +19) because anything else gets caught by the auger. You limit not only the number of mindgames to 1 but, as an added bonus, you can now full combo punish for another ride if he does anything but block.
  • If you catch the opponent with any starter and do this, B22~BF1(amp) > B1~B.Auger (209 dmg) and if they try to jump, they get caught by the burrowing auger (60 dmg), which you can combo with B12~BF1(amp) > B1~Spin (256). 525 damage in total based on ONE wrong decision from the opponent. You can also end the whole thing with Close grenade instead of spin for the 22's +5 on block
  • Now there is a draw back, you lose the Dive kick or any tool to deal with zoners. Now is this loss significant enough (@Wigy @scarsunseen @Pan1cMode )? Am I missing anything? Anybody tried this against other players?

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I think Ice Trap is going to be banned or changed a lot. As is, that move is broken. You can see examples on YouTube. That should not stay as-is. If it does, I am playing it lol. It's REALLY broken.

"Augers, Cryogenic crown" - haven't tried this online yet but I honestly really like this custom. I hate Frost-byte's useless BF4 axe, so having BF1 augers helps cover a lot of neutral spacing. I like this variation and see myself using it.

"Augers, Burrowing Augers" - Not really for me, but with a good setup, you can be around +30 on oki with setup.

You've probably labbed this custom more than me tbh. I've spent most of my time with headbomb/core overload, headbomb/auger, and microburst/auger lunge/core overload (really good damage potential).

I found a re-freeze blockable reset using core overload, a bomb, and U3 at the same time.

This is a blockable reset sort of like how in MKX with Cyrax, if you were to hit a low bomb and jump kick at the same frame, the opponent auto-stands by design. Except here, there's also a freeze jumbled in with everything.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I think Ice Trap is going to be banned or changed a lot. As is, that move is broken. You can see examples on YouTube. That should not stay as-is. If it does, I am playing it lol. It's REALLY broken.
So I watched this compilation (
) and I can definitely see that its a bitch in the corner. I also noticed that for his setups to work midscreen, the opponent has to be trying to press buttons after getting hit so that his body moves to the next ice beam (ex: at 2:08 when Scorpion tries to do something after getting hit with 22). When she's in the corner, then yes it gets very crazy very quickly. It might indeed get some form of nerf or right out ban.

"Augers, Cryogenic crown" - haven't tried this online yet but I honestly really like this custom. I hate Frost-byte's useless BF4 axe, so having BF1 augers helps cover a lot of neutral spacing. I like this variation and see myself using it.
I found a re-freeze blockable reset using core overload, a bomb, and U3 at the same time.

This is a blockable reset sort of like how in MKX with Cyrax, if you were to hit a low bomb and jump kick at the same frame, the opponent auto-stands by design. Except here, there's also a freeze jumbled in with everything.
That's a sick setup damn! The issue Im having with the bomb/core overload, and it might be just my inexperience with the head bomb, is that I dont know anybody who just holds block without reacting to a bomb thrown in their face. And when I do a setup where they are knockdown and I throw a bomb, there is a whole mindgame that starts every time (Will they U3? Should I poke then grab? Should I grab right away? will they roll? will they jump? Will they neutral my grab after the bomb explodes?) and they are probably going through all those scenarios in their head. And again, maybe its my inexperience talking but these mindgame situations occur far too often because the damage isnt very high (unless a very situational setup works exactly like I want to and I end up doing one of your huge setups you post to youtube and here. But they are few and far between for me.

"Augers, Cryogenic crown" - haven't tried this online yet but I honestly really like this custom. I hate "Augers, Burrowing Augers" - Not really for me, but with a good setup, you can be around +30 on oki with setup.
The first video, you're at like +30 but the opponent is so far that the neutral has been reset anyway. If I can open them up with a B3, I would opt for B32D1 > B1~B.Auger as it keeps them close enough and Im at +19 (This option is also added to the 3 other options you get with AA's auger, which is great). And in your second video, I add the B1 before the B.Auger for extra dmg. Im gonna test it out online today and update this thread. I want to test:
  1. Does the setup works as intended against an actual opponent (maybe there is a way out of it that I didnt think of)
  2. The forward roll is the ultimate counter, I want to see if there is something to be done against a rolling opponent
  3. What can I do against a zoning opponent
  4. Can the burrowing auger be used as a footsie tool in addition to the regular auger
  5. Im hypothesizing that an opponent with no defensive meter is forced to block no matter what. That would be huge because the mindgame is essentially gone and the grab is pretty much guaranteed.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Look up a video on youtube by ILGENOWSKI. He goes over how Core Trap is broken midscreen too. The whole thing need to be changed or Frost is instantly in her own tier. Personally, I love the head-bomb because most of my fighting game history has been with setup characters :) I love pressure, mind games, and manipulating how my opponent will move.

In that +31 video, you can still jail with B2 after the burrowing auger. It's tight but totally doable. The neutral appears reset but they are stuck in block-stun for so long, you can definitely get at least a B2 from that far away. You'll probably do better with the burrowing auger than me.