What's new

Mortal Kombat X Comics have been De-Canonized

While discussing story and lore, we've all referenced the Mortal Kombat X comics as they were canon. I say "were" because as of last week, Dominic Cianciolo stated they are not canon.

Source.

I find this rather disappointing.

Slymind

Noob
Mixed feelings on this one, because there were inconsistencies with the game in some events.

Some cool moments from some characters, others not so much.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Wasn't it kinda obvious they weren't? I mean, I only read until about sheeva showed up, and don't remember them much, but don't really remember thinking they were canon. Still NRS is such a mess with their story that the whole canon is messed up.

Art Lean

Noob
To be fair to the franchise, no previous movie, live-action series, cartoon (even including Scorpion's Revenge), book or other comic series has ever been canon, there's just the occasional element that gets absorbed into the games now and again. Even the games themselves clearly play it loose from game to game, so who knows what really is "MK canon", hell Special Forces takes place before Mythologies apparently yet Jax had his metal arms already. Sure it's a shame that something good like that technically doesn't count unless parts appear in game form, but it's not like there's ever been any spinoff media before that's truly been accepted as the real story.

It's one of those franchises a bit like, I dunno, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or Hellraiser (but obviously way better than either as franchises, original movie entries notwithstanding), where you just have to kind of just roll with it from production to production.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
To be fair, it's not like canon means much in Mortal " alternate timelines means everything is canon" Kombat anyway. The way I see it, the sooner they trash the MK9-11 lore/story, the better.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Well, to be fair, the comic story was 10293423049 times better than MKX and MK11. So, I guess there is a solution for next MK game to actually be decent in terms of storytelling. Mr Canciolo should be responsible for designing shoes for Mileena and ONLY THAT, nothing more. Shawn Kittlesen is back and is the lead story writer (I can help him if he want). Can someone DM this idea to Osu, Tyler or Mr Eyebrows directly?

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
He did. But that was a while ago.

The lead story guy saying they aren't is big because that'll be taken into account as they go forward.
Ed also said Shaolin Monks was canon. He has no clue about the story of his games.