What's new

Mortal Kombat VS Killer Instinct: Why it should happen

Conversely apart from the already obvious reasons it feels like Street Fighter's PS4 exclusivity poured cement on the grave of a potential SFvsMK crossover.

It's a weird world we live in where it feels like a MKvsTekken crossover is the more likely one.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Unless the I.P. is bought by WB, it's not going to happen. WB will not invest money in a game that won't be available on a PlayStation console
I'm aware of that, as i said above i don't think Microsoft would spitefully deny the game being cross platform if the profit margins were there.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I honestly don't know how he slipped my mind. Very silly of me.

But after him, i can't picture any reasonably R-rated capcom characters. Maybe Dark Phoenix, but she OP
Considering how many literal gods have been in MK over the years, I think Dark Phoenix would fit in just fine.

I honestly don't see this game ever happening, though. I think the next time we will see Marvel characters in a fighter, it will be whatever the next Marvel vs Capcom game ends up being. Have to wait and see, I guess.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
As dumb as it sounds I think a MK vs Warner Bros game is pretty feasible.. All of the guests we've already seen plus the metric f-ton on character IP's the studio has control over to work with..

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I can see you spend your free time practing flawless blocks and gittin gud
I can flawless block projectiles reasonably consistently but yeah, could do with getting those string gaps a bit better :p But when i'm in work this is the best i can hope for lmao

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Back on-topic of the off-topic thread, i was putting some thought into how the 2 vastly different fighting styles and unique mechanics of the separate IPs would work. Firstly and most importantly, it will either have to be a 6 button game, Back to block, or a 4 button game with a block button. Third option is to have a Groove or Style system where you choose which of these options you want your character to use, with effects on other aspects of gameplay.

With 6 buttons and back to block, you have access to more combos, especially linked normals, and can auto-double an opponent in hitstun if they're on the ground. This makes your character play more like KI. Downsides include making you vulnerable to crossup attacks, and your shadow meter can only be used for relevant shadow moves.

With 4 Buttons and a Block button, you have less total normal attacks, but any relevant command normals will remain with slightly changed inputs if necessary. You also gain the famous universal D2. With less combo potential, certain moves properties will change to allow for longer or more damaging combos. You also cannot be crossed up as easily, but cannot move and defend simultaneously. Your shadow meter is further divided, and you can spend half a shadow stock to amplify special moves.

In KI Style, you have an Instinct meter that fills and works just like in KI. In MK style, this meter instead gives you access to a one-time use, powerful, damaging super move. Goes away on hit, block or whiff, but can do potentially 50% of a lifebar.

All characters have a "Shadow Escape", essentially a breakaway that can only be used while being juggled and costs one shadow bar. Locks out that shadow bar for 10 seconds.

Combo breakers still work very similarly to how they did, but if the defender is using MK style and needs to break a heavy attack, they must press 2,4 and block simultaneously. 2 and 4 alone will break medium attacks. If the attacker is using MK style, the defender doesn't need to worry about breaking Heavy's, but because auto doubles don't exist and normals behave differently, the break window is much tighter. You cannot combo break while being juggled, but each hit adds gravity so juggle combos are inherently limited.

I honestly think it would make more sense (entirely hypothetically of course) if the system wasn't a style select and just had a solid combination of the games mechanics, but i can't see the best way to combine them both seamlessly. Fans of either franchise would definitely have to deal with sacrifices, and in this regard i think i would sacrifice the Block button and special moves having just 1 version. True crossups are a great part of fighting games, and giving L,M and H versions of MK characters moves would add flavour and variety.

Best examples i can think of are:
Sub Zero:
Ice Slide, BF Kick.
L: Low, short range, ducks highs and some projectiles.
M: Cold Shoulder, faster, more damage and range, hits mid
H: Axe Slam. Slow, decent range Overhead, Knocks down

Ice Ball, QCF Punch
L: Snowball, fast projectile, hits high, low damage
M: Shuriken, multiple fast projectiles, hit mid, decent damage, high recovery
H: Traditional ice ball, decent startup and recovery, freezes for combo on hit.

Sektor:
Missile, QCF Punch
L: Straight missile, horizontal projectile, fairly traditional
M: Diagonal Missile, long range anti-air
H: Homing missile, longer startup and recovery

Teleport Punch, QCB Kick (or punch, input is irrelevant). Distance determines position on screen the punch appears, Left, center or Right for L,M,H. Alternatively, it can track but combo potential and risk both rise with strength of button press

Shang Tsung:
Straight Skulls, BF Punch, Strength determines number of skulls, 1 2 or 3. Duckable by most characters.

Up Skulls, DU Punch. Strength determines where on screen it rises, close medium or far. Shadow or amplify versions can combo more easily or juggle. Lots of creative room with this one.

Soon i'll post my ideal roster for this theoretical game that will most likely never happen lmao.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
I love Killer Instinct, but the brand is...not massively successful.
To be fair, in the grand scheme of things, fighting games are not "Massively Succesful" if you compare them to the year-on-year fiscal repeats of the likes of Fifa, C.O.D or the flavour of the month like Fortnite. Worth noting also that KI has only had like, 3, 4 games max? Considering the success of the reboot i would say the IP is ripe at the moment.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
Whenever i picture a crossover fighting game, i usually like to split the roster 15/15. So here goes, in no particular order.

Glacius / Sub Zero
Cinder / Scorpion
Fulgore / Sektor + Cyrax (can't exclude one, give em some unique mechanic to make it work)
Orchid / Sonya
Jago / Liu Kang
Sadira / Skarlet
Eyedol / Shao Kahn
Riptor / Reptile
Aganos / Tremor
Kan-Ra / Geras
Thunder / Nightwolf
Tj Combo / Jax
Tusk / Kenshi
Omen / Quan Chi
Gargos / Shang Tsung

The similarities are a little vague near the end but waddya think?

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
On second thought, replace Omen / Quan Chi with Maya / Kitana and replace Tusk / Kenshi with Mira / Mileena.

I also thought that to synchronise the games play styles in a manner more familiar to MK, varying strength special moves used to extend combos that would, normally, be Linkers under the KI system would only hit once regardless of the strength. Instead, the hit advantage for comboing as well as pushback and other properties such as side switching would vary. Combo breaking a Light reptile slide, for example, would still be more difficult than a Heavy slide, but only because it starts faster and thus hits sooner. It could give a 2-3 frame window to continue a combo or a 5-10 frame window to start one. Heavy meanwhile would still hit once, but with more telegraphing, and side switch + launch on hit, with a tight window to juggle combo.