What's new

'MORTAL KOMBAT TAX' PROPOSED FOR U.S. SCHOOL SHOOTINGS

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I did a research paper in college in my psychology class on this very topic. There was an actual study (probably multiple) on if violent video games make you violent or more violent. My conclusion was simple, there’s zero evidence that violent video games make you more violent in any way. It CAN make you more aggressive or hostile, but so can a lot of things.

My teacher showed us a video where kids watched a violent movie then afterwards were imitating to an extent what they saw. But that’s because kids are impressionable, and like to mimic things. It wasn’t necessarily that they were more violent, they were just mimicking what they just had watched. This is why a rating system exists on video games and movies.

Basically, we can’t sloth off the responsibility of our actions onto our artifacts and say “they made the decision”. That’s not how it works. Correlation does not equal causation. Meaning, even if every single mass shooter played violent video games every day, that doesn’t mean it had anything to do with them doing what they did. Just as if they all ate cheeseburgers that doesn’t mean cheeseburgers make you go on a shooting spree. There’s just some individuals who are crazy, that’s it. It’s not about weapons, video games, movies, etc. If an individual makes the decision to do something insane, they will find a way to do it no matter what. That’s not to say it can’t be prevented, but people want to point the finger at everything BUT the individual that made the decision.
My point exactly.

You don't need psychology lessons to know that some people have lethal mental issues. I propose that if those guys have mental issues like this, they're better off visiting the psychiatric clinics than playing videogames.

And avoid the politicians no matter what. Those guys are douchebags. They will try to falsely point something just to earn more election points. They will do anything in their own power to find some shapegoats just to make their points. Politicians are nothing more than uneducated, have the lack to investigate anything, and brainless people.

The videogames are to not blame when someone isn't well in his/her mind. And the politicians need to stop blaming the videogames every time. The caramel of the shapegoat is rotten, and we already know their game, and we do not believe them at all. And finally, the politics are unwelcomed in the gaming world.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
What's your opinion on the idea that violent video games could trigger already unstable individuals and encourage them to pick up a M4A1 and play Counter-Strike in real life? I think that's where the actual arguments lies.

I personally don't think for a second that a normal person will get violent outbursts and run amok, due to them playing shooters or other violent games. But that's the case for normal people. There is a concept called "the call of the void", where you stand on a cliff and think about jumping, but you don't. You can have similar destructive thoughts about other things: "Man, I would like to kill person XYZ". Yet you never do.
I don't think the same can be said about people with psychopathic tendencies. So I wouldn't want to see such a person play violent video games. And if that means preventing them from having access to those in the first place, then maybe that's for the better. Same with violent movies or songs or whatever. But regulating that is absolutely impossible, especially without ruining it for regular consumers. Especially considering how much money the video game industry makes - with shooters, where you kill people, leading the sales.
I also think I remember reading about how surgeons, who played FPS games performed better than surgeons, who didn't. Playing FPS games does train your hand-to-eye-coordination and micro-adjustments with your hands and fingers.
I agree 100% there's no way to check if someone is mentally stable when buying violent video games and from what I've learned most people in the sociopath range are very good at acting normal so there is no way to tell.

I think the only real solution is for the Government to focus on trying to nip mental illness in the bud before it gets to that point. Like mandatory check-ups with a physician with experience in mental illness in young adults until they are legal adults would benefit our society greatly, instead of pouring millions of dollars into fancy buildings and what not.

Mandatory psych classes before college and university, explaining mental illness in a way that is educational and will help these kids realize that talking about their issues is what they should do because that's the biggest problem these days, not asking for help.

Things like that.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I agree 100% there's no way to check if someone is mentally stable when buying violent video games and from what I've learned most people in the sociopath range are very good at acting normal so there is no way to tell.

I think the only real solution is for the Government to focus on trying to nip mental illness in the bud before it gets to that point. Like mandatory check-ups with a physician with experience in mental illness in young adults until they are legal adults would benefit our society greatly, instead of pouring millions of dollars into fancy buildings and what not.

Mandatory psych classes before college and university, explaining mental illness in a way that is educational and will help these kids realize that talking about their issues is what they should do because that's the biggest problem these days, not asking for help.

Things like that.
I agree, everyone should have a basic knowledge of psychology. Sooooo many people “diagnose” themselves with a mental illness while being ignorant of what it actually means. Sorry lady, you don’t have OCD, you are just a control freak. Sorry man, you don’t have ADHD, you’re just lazy and don’t wanna pay attention in class.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
God it's always the same fucking tripe. "THING causes all the bad stuff in the whole world, we must control the populace and take away THING!"

Video games, guns, alcohol, music, free speech, insert whatever you want. It's all just virtue signaling, moral grandstanding nonsense meant to restrict us. Fuck the politicians and never trust ANYONE (you don't know loves you intimately, I'm sure your parents do have your best interests in mind) who wants to tell you how you should live and impose their ideals on you.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I agree, everyone should have a basic knowledge of psychology. Sooooo many people “diagnose” themselves with a mental illness while being ignorant of what it actually means. Sorry lady, you don’t have OCD, you are just a control freak. Sorry man, you don’t have ADHD, you’re just lazy and don’t wanna pay attention in class.
I want to favorite your comment so bad. Well said.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Exactly, the fact that these things are commonplace is because people are going to their doctors and saying 'I totally have this thing!' and most of the time the doctors just give them the pills because they don't have the time to research all this stuff especially if they're not specialized in that field. And all this info on the internet is also creating this hypochondriac crisis.

I told my Doc I was sometimes having trouble sleeping and had anxiety at night and she prescribed an anti-depressant without tests or anything...I didn't take them I mean I don't feel like I needed that at all, I was looking for maybe like checking to see if it's things I eat or allergens or whatnot, but no, I got thrown some crazy ass pill.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Exactly, the fact that these things are commonplace is because people are going to their doctors and saying 'I totally have this thing!' and most of the time the doctors just give them the pills because they don't have the time to research all this stuff especially if they're not specialized in that field. And all this info on the internet is also creating this hypochondriac crisis.

I told my Doc I was sometimes having trouble sleeping and had anxiety at night and she prescribed an anti-depressant without tests or anything...I didn't take them I mean I don't feel like I needed that at all, I was looking for maybe like checking to see if it's things I eat or allergens or whatnot, but no, I got thrown some crazy ass pill.
You made the right decision.