What's new

Mortal Kombat, part of MLG's 334% growth of 'Online Viewership'

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Major League Gaming reported some impressive growth numbers yesterday, numbers that have sheer potential. According to MLG and their charts, the amount of online viewership has grown immensely within the last couple of years. From 2010 where they had 1.8 million, to 2011 where the numbers went up to 3.5 million... the growth was definitely there, but what about this year so far? Mortal Kombat had a full-season of MLG this year from the Spring Championship to most recently the Fall Championship so this year's impressive growth of 11.7 million or 334% has been most beneficial to Mortal Kombat. Granted, Mortal Kombat is just one of multiple games being played along with other gaming monsters such as StarCraft or League of Legends as well as even other fighting games... it should be noted that Mortal Kombat and we as a community are part of this growth.

“MLG’s 334% growth in live online audience this year surpasses growth demonstrated by traditional sports. This is a testament to the mainstream demand for competitive gaming and power of live streaming,” said Sundance DiGiovanni, CEO, Major League Gaming. “The last two years have been the largest in MLG’s 10-year history with over 636% growth in live viewers. I only expect that growth to continue in 2013.”
Source: MLG
Credit: Pig Of The Hut

Attachments

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Like I said in the other thread, this is awesome news for MLG, for gamers and for gaming as a whole. These are some pretty drastic statistics that I have honestly never seen before. While MK9 didn't play much of a part in this, we can say it was apart of it in some way. Lets hope this insane growth continues and that fighters start getting the same love these other genres get.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm enlisting help and suggestions for improving our viewership for MK as a whole, and for Injustice once it launches. Anyone that wants to lend a hand, or has good ideas, send me a message and let me know.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Seriously, we DO need to up the amount of ladies in the MK community.

Wise men once said, "Too many dicks on the dance floor in the MK community."

LOL!!! Too funny. There's not many in this community I couldn't beat...when I actually played the game.

Dunno how it's so easy to forget that in that match vs. Jer I was extremely rusty. Oh well. He won, and again congrats to him.