What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Review Thread

Maybe good to keep all reviews in one place and put spoilers in tags and give people a chance to read these before watching. I'll start.

So, I've seen a lot of people online either praising it to high heavens or completely thrashing it. I am in between and actually think both saying it's a masterpiece or utter thrash is objectively just incorrect as movies have certain aspects that be judged without prejudice and there's good and bad things to be said about it, regardless of how you feel about the story and portrayal of characters. Take costumes for example, you may not like the mask of the ninjas or the teeth of Mileena, but looking at it without the MK goggles on, Scorpion and Sub-Zero at least look decent enough from a cosmetic standpoint.

Anyway, I am kind of in between the movie being a massive disappointment and a masterpiece. I will try to keep it spoiler free and as short as possible, but I think there's a lot to dissect and given the passion of the writer and everyone involved it deserves a proper review. I also hope it helps for people to feel better about the movie since a lot of negativity is still Cole's part of the story, which I think is the best part. So this is where the movie, direction, writing seems to be caught in a split. On the one side you have the Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero story and the other you have the tournament. I think they might have been too ambitious about giving both enough weight, enough focus, enough backstory and in compromising ended up with both parts not getting their due.

Now, to me the strongest part is actually Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero and how Cole is tied into that. I'm not going to spoil who Cole is, but I don't get how anyone could be mad at how they managed to fit him into the story, even if there was no need for it. The movie starts off very well and really gave me Ghost of Tsushima vibes. It was the setup for a great story. Once the fighting started I was disappointed that it was so short and I would've enjoyed it more if it hadn't been hyped to death as this great new standard for cinematic opening fighting scenes. I really wish it hadn't been spoiled in the trailers so much, but still it's a very solid opening. Hanzo's fighting with the Lin Kuei was top 3 of best fighting scenes in the film. The Sub-Zero part I had looked forward to the most, so this also really disappointed me aside from his cheek cut. The fighting felt scripted, it was rather weak and over too quickly.

In the opening another issue - at least for me - was laid bare, which is connecting emotionally to the characters. Hiroyuki Sanada is a very solid actor so it's not him, but somehow I just couldn't really connect to him. I feel it was lacking some build up, it quickly turned to fighting and since he wasn't shown until the end again, it was almost like they didn't want us to really feel for Hanzo. It was more important to connect with him through Cole, so they just told the story we as MK fans know, let him die and put the focus on Cole. To me, it's such a missed opportunity to not show off his struggle once he died. To show him in the Netherrealm, maybe include Quan Chi or at least some demon that tortures him, talks to him, whispers to him that he's responsible for the death of his family and should plot revenge. Especially for non-MK people this was essential to know about Hanzo. Him just saying it once he came back was too easy for me. I understand there might have been budget restraints to properly create the Netherrealm, but even just him sitting on some skulls with some lava / blood passing by and some key Netherrealm rock formations or pillars of skulls and then see him struggle would've been enough to give Hanzo more importance and to connect to him.

Cole Young was a bit easier to relate to, but they truly missed an opportunity aside from his nightmares / dreams, which could've a bit more visual, menacing and gripping to really expand upon his identity. He could've been shown to struggle a bit more with his past, that he had questions and needed answers. Once the introductions get out of the way the reveal of the dragon mark makes it way into the film and while I actually like the idea as a plot device, the way it was handled with relation to Cole and later another character left a bit to be desired. Cole being born with it was just something he accepted, but they could've come up with a way to connect it to his dreams, identity struggle and that he always felt it meant something or maybe physically causes him pain or some reaction. To Cole the mark is just there, kind of odd, and for the other character it appears at some point, which to me was a bit silly. This ties to me to the lack of connection, emotional depth and overall feel of the movie: things just happen, on the surface and overall rather rushed delivery.

The opening scene was good and first 20-30 minutes were actually solid, had a nice setup to the confrontation or clash of Earth with Outworld, but then was undone rather quickly. Pretty much the Scorpion, SZ and Cole Young story was good and then the other part, tournament, comes along and to me just didn't hit home. What made it bearable and fun was Kano with some solid acting, silly and over the top jokes, even corny, but delivered well. Sonya and Jax were cool too and had their moments. However, as soon as Outworld was shown, which is not really a spoiler felt too much like just a location on Earth, it just turned into an odd rollercoast ride. Shang Tsung just didn't feel his sinister self, forget comparing to Tagawa's performance in the original, didn't feel like a ruler who at any moment could use his sorcery for evil. He was just a guy, leading a pack of goons. I knew that look in the twitter promo was just too good to be true and at no point does his face actually turn into that old way more sorcerer look. The black eyes were also weird.

Then the goons, spoiler free version: one of them has a solid fight, the others you have to see for yourself. Kabal has decent screen time, actually a personality and a decent fight. Mileena's was over too quick, Reiko's was laughable and his character doesn't talk and Nitara had a nice introduction only to be wasted within 5 seconds after her second appearance. As others have pointed out, everyone except Kabal might as well just have been random Tarkatans and maybe they should have gone that route. Since we don't know Kitana, the Tarkatans are a no show, how are people not knowing MK supposed to know what her deal is. Oddly, Shang Tsung doesn't introduce her and her look just was not good. Just heavy makeup around her mouth that suggests she's been eating too many grapes or likes to play dress up. If we're talking villains looks outside of Sub, Reptile was the best looking one to me. Characters looked good and while I dislike the choice of this particular Reptile - MKDA - they tried for most characters to stay true to some earlier version of the character.

As far as locations, settings and choice of direction I cannot fault the producers too much since NRS themselves have abandoned the purple magical Outworld look, instead going for a desert Middle-Eastern / Asian look with an orange-red-blue sky, just like in Tarkatan's War Kamp. With the more realistic look and direction of MK11 in particular and the influence of the Avengers, building a universe and quite frankly budget restraints, it makes sense. To me though the attempts to actually give it that MK touch felt cheap in a way. A random Shokan statue in the middle of a black desert, Shao Kahn in the middle of nowhere and there is really not a clear distinction between Earth and Outworld. Raiden's temple is a tomb, with a battle arena that is kind of cool given the Raiden and Fujin statue, but I couldn't help but think they missed the opportunity to give us actual locations / stages from the games. The 10 seconds on the actual bridge resembling the Pit felt like a throw-in with no context and actually like a giant tease given how short it was shown, how quickly it came and went. Even with how I feel about it, I cannot deny locations looked gorgeous at times and at least decent most of the time.

In relation to MK references, easter eggs, they had some cool ones. In fact, some nice surprises, but in particular the lines like 'Flawless Victory' fell flat. Overall I actually felt like they tried to really stay very close to actual games or even the original movie with regards to setting, characters looks and moves, relics / ornaments, memorable lines, yet inexplicably at the same time completely deviated from the source material. Reiko's appearance is the easiest example, but also Raiden's character and giving Liu Kang the part of Raiden to explain things. This isn't a problem necessarily, but with Liu speaking to each one of the gang (Sonya, Kano & Cole) individually, it really felt like an homage to Raiden doing this in the original movie to Liu, Sonya & Johnny regarding their personal issues they had to overcome. Aside from it falling flat - Liu just wasn't believable.

I rather the director and writer would've just tried to create their own, unique memorable lines and scenes rather than re-do classic ones. For the lack of creativity, the arkana while simple did the job for me to help explain human super powers. It could've been fleshed out more, especially in relation the dragon mark, but I liked it. Raiden just putting up a wall of lightning was something that just felt silly so creativity could use some work for a sequel.

Overall it felt like a movie that had two parts of which only one really was fleshed out enough to keep it from being a flop. It did leave kind of a bad taste, which wasn't helped by the way the movie was edited and cut. Scenes just came and went, no development, no proper transition, no context and no explanation. It was obvious in the fights too.Mileena vs. Sonya's was cut short, confirmed by Sisi, and it showed. Jax vs. Reiko might not have been planned longer, but it was hardly a fight. Some better acting, but also some different camera angles might have already helped to make it look better.

With the lack of depth, of the tournament and Outworld characters, the rushed fights and quite frankly some fights and lines feeling way too scripted, it just dragged down the quality of what else could've been one helluva movie. One of the scenes I anticipated the most: the fire dragon by Liu was kind of underwhelming. There was no suspense, no build-up and over way too quick. Since the fight itself was solid, it deserved a proper Fatality and to me some DBZ / Street Fighter gathering of enough energy to summon the dragon. I mean, the acting, fighting and aesthetics for the most part are solid, there's a ton of references, Cole's journey tied in with the Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero arc was easily a story that could've carried the film if they had given it some more depth and attention, especially Scorpion in the Netherrealm and the dragon mark.

I feel the way the movie was setup, as a prequel, is ultimately why I won't judge it too harshly but as a standalone film it just not live up to my already low expectations. I did enjoy it, was even like a little kid when I saw certain references, but what truly separates the original 1995 film and this one are 3 things: balancing fighting and story telling, keeping the essence of mortal kombat in all of its facets (setting, mystery, phantasy / magical elements, music) and having an actual sense of gravity, severity that was carried by the main villains and protagonists with a certain charisma. Say what you want, but Lambert, Cary Tagawa, Robin Shou and even Goro all felt like characters that stayed true to their video game roles and felt like they truly knew the fate of the world was at stake and conveyed this poignantly. Even the supporting cast. To me this movie just felt like the fights didn't mean anything, only the last one came close to having a certain weight to it.

Final thoughts: Fatalities and gore were over the top, but it didn't detract of the story, but both the former and the latter just had hits and misses. Just like the casting, the fights, the character's looks, the references and delivery. I liked the opening sequence and final fight the best, loved how they had SZ and Scorpion speaking Chinese and Japanese - something NRS just would never even think of - and their part of the story. I absolutely hate how they treated all the evil characters, spoiled so much in the trailers and the whole tournament part of the story. Still, since it looked good, had some really good performances by mainly the protagonists, I was waiting for the final battle. To me that really saved the movie to be honest. The fights were over so quickly after the re-group that I just couldn't believe this is how it was going to end. Luckily you knew that final battle was yet to come. The way Shang and Raiden departed was kind of cool too and then the hint at a certain big character for the sequel was nice. I look forward to a sequel, granted with a bigger budget, more fleshed out story and either a longer running time or just less fights.

A meager 6/10 is what I'll give it as I cannot just be one of those people who says "It's a Mortal Kombat movie, what did you expect?" No. Even a movie based on a video game should be able to carry itself like a proper movie and this one just barely did. There's enough lore and there was enough to the Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero side to explore for it to be good movie. To give an example so people see what I mean, let's take Sonic the Hedhehog movie. It was solid because even without much references to the video game: casting and acting was top-notch, they had a charismatic protagonist and antagonist to carry the movie - Schwartz voice and Jim CARRY (if you will) - gave u a hint at more exploring of the video game world to come - in a sequel - at the end and they made a decision to really make it a movie that even people who don't care for Sonic could and would love. And they delivered on that.

This reboot I'm sure is enjoyable for everyone for the first 20-30 minutes, Kano's parts and the Cole, Scorpion and Sub-Zero arc. The tournament arc was more of an homage to fans that I'm sure felt cheap and odd to people who don't know MK, aside from a few moments. The promise of a sequel would've worked better had it focused on just one arc to me, even if that had meant less characters, less references and more of a standalone film. I get why they didn't, since fans would've bitched till no end, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice or the right one.

Last edited:

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
‘Mortal Kombat’ Director Simon McQuoid on Sequel Plans, Major Deaths and Johnny Cage
By Jordan Moreau

MORTAL KOMBAT

©Warner Bros/Courtesy Everett Collection

SPOILER WARNING: Do not read if you have not seen “Mortal Kombat,” available now in theaters and on HBO Max.
Director Simon McQuoid’s “Mortal Kombat” builds the groundwork for what could be a gory action franchise, and star Joe Taslim already told Variety that he’s signed up for four more movies if Warner Bros. decides to go ahead with additional installments.
The movie features several threads that could be explored in further films, “joiner pieces” that McQuoid intentionally added. The most obvious comes in the film’s final frame, which shows a movie poster for fictional Hollywood superstar and iconic “Mortal Kombat” video game character Johnny Cage. Protagonist Cole Young (Lewis Tan) remarks that he’s off to Los Angeles in search of more Mortal Kombat fighters, directly setting up a possible sequel.

Several major characters die in the movie, but “Mortal Kombat” fans know that death isn’t permanent in the video game franchise. Sub-Zero (Taslim) is burnt to a crisp by Scorpion (Hiroyuki Sanada) and Kung Lao (Max Huang) has his soul sucked out by master villain Shang Tsung (Chin Han). Not to be forgotten, Kano (Josh Lawson), Mileena (Sisi Stringer), Kabal (Daniel Nelson), Nitara (Mel Jarnson), Reiko (Nathan Jones) and Goro (Angus Sampson) all meet grisly ends.
McQuoid told Variety, “I don’t want death to be something that is inconsequential” and “certainly Sub-Zero has some opportunities.” In the end, we see Shang Tsung conspicuously retrieve Sub-Zero’s corpse in a puff of black smoke. In the games, the original Sub-Zero died and was resurrected as the undead ninja Noob Saibot, which could be what McQuoid hints at.
In a spoiler-filled conversation with Variety, McQuoid discusses sequel ideas, undead fighters and what other characters he’d like to see in a potential follow-up.
Are there any plans or ideas you have for a sequel?
Sequels are a bit tricky because you can’t totally ignore them, because that wouldn’t be a smart move, but none of us used the “s-word.” We’d never talk about it in any depth whatsoever because we feel like we have to put all our energy into this film. That being said, if the fans want another one, that’s not for us to decide; that’s for the fans to decide. Then, we need a couple of joiner pieces that we know can lead us somewhere because there’s a treasure trove of stuff that’s just sitting there.
The reason [Johnny Cage] is not in this original film is he’s such a giant personality that he almost has his own gravitational field. The feeling was that he would throw it out of balance slightly. I get asked about Kitana just as much as Johnny Cage. There’s a lot of interesting characters, story and material to work with. So we haven’t really dug into it; we just know we’re very privileged that’s sitting there. If we do get to that, and I’m not saying we will, I’m just saying if — big “if” — then we’ll go down that path.
What other characters would you want to include in a potential sequel?
I guess I’d like to shift it to be a little more female. There are some fantastic female characters in “Mortal Kombat.” And I think we can bring balance there, to a better extent. There were no other specific characters we really wanted to put in. Very early on, there was a scene with Rain, but he wasn’t being done justice and wasn’t driving the story forward. That’s a reason he got put back on the bench. There are a lot of characters to choose from. I’ve been so busy trying to calibrate this ensemble that I haven’t thought too much about any others beyond just understanding who people really love, who gets talked about a lot and who are really interesting characters.
Is it safe to say being dead might not mean someone is actually dead in this universe?
Well, yes, if you just look at the game, it’s exactly what the game has done in a really interesting way. I think we can perhaps learn from [the games] and try to do something interesting — again, there’s a big asterisk on all of this. I think the way they handle timelines and alternative iterations of the same character is really interesting. It doesn’t always mean that character comes back, “Oh, I’ve been reincarnated. I’m the same.” There’s some really interesting evolution and growth of these characters. The experience of death informs who they become. So I guess I don’t want death to be something that is inconsequential. That is something I certainly thought about as we discussed this story and what that means. So I think there are opportunities there, and certainly Sub-Zero has some opportunities.
Despite being titled “Mortal Kombat,” the characters don’t actually fight in a Mortal Kombat tournament, possibly saving it for the future. Was that always the plan?
The story came out of this idea that we didn’t just want to redo the first film. If you look at “Mortal Kombat’s” evolution over the decades, that has evolved and grown beyond the idea of the tournament. That’s obviously essential within the DNA of “Mortal Kombat,” and it’s one of the fundamentals, if you look at where the story has gone. The idea of a tournament within a script informs a certain structure and rhythm. We didn’t really want to serve that. To serve a tournament idea, you have to build it a certain way. So it was a couple of reasons that came to it playing out in the way it did.
Cole Young is the only original character in the movie. Was he always envisioned to be a descendant of Scorpion?
He was always connected to Scorpion. His character evolved because with the other characters, there was less sideways movement. We had to be very specific with bringing those characters to life the right way, and they came with their own set of properties that we had to respect and amplify. With Cole, we had some license. We gave ourselves a couple of rules. We wanted him to be built out of the material that is within “Mortal Kombat,” so it made sense to have him as an MMA fighter. It made sense to have a daughter and family aspect. We thought, “If you were playing him in the game, what would be a good power to have? Let’s treat him as a game character and film character.” It was a constant process of building him and to have him born out of blood. His power really comes out of the combination of the kunai blade in Netherrealm and the energy within.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
In the opening another issue - at least for me - was laid bare, which is connecting emotionally to the characters. Hiroyuki Sanada is a very solid actor so it's not him, but somehow I just couldn't really connect to him. I feel it was lacking some build up, it quickly turned to fighting...
I cant tell why you didnt connect but I can tell you why I didnt.
In screenwriting, there's the "show dont tell rule". Instead of him telling us hes grateful for his wife, show us their chemistry, their love. Her rigid acting that showed barely any emotions didnt help at all. The kid, who didnt act like a child (i.e. crying and panicking given the situation) also made the whole thing feel fake. It felt rushed.

To show him in the Netherrealm, maybe include Quan Chi or at least some demon that tortures him
I disagree here because in a movie that is already bloated with the number of characters and the short runtime, the last thing you need is to add more confusion to an already complicated world (from the perspective of the average movie goer). That exploration of his time in the netherrealm can be left in a sequel when Quan Chi resurrects fallen warriors to fight with him

Cole Young was a bit easier to relate to, but they truly missed an opportunity ....to really expand upon his identity.
I think it's precisely for this reason this character fell flat for many people. Beyond his love for his family, he has no defining quality thereby making few people relate to him or his so called struggle. His whole character is limited to (1) he loves his family & (2) he sucks at mma. The person I was watching the movie with even forgot his name by the end of the movie....

Shang Tsung just didn't feel his sinister self, forget comparing to Tagawa's performance in the original, didn't feel like a ruler who at any moment could use his sorcery for evil. He was just a guy, leading a pack of goons. I knew that look in the twitter promo was just too good to be true and at no point does his face actually turn into that old way more sorcerer look.
Maybe Im in the minority but I actually really liked the fact that they showed some restraint by not making him fight. Him saying to Kung Lao that he was beneath him and sucking his soul was enough for me to be like, ok you dont want to mess with this guy. I appreciate that they want to build him up.

Then the goons, ....
I agree, Reiko was beyond lame, Mileena didnt have much to do (then again I didnt expect her to given that Kitana isnt even in the movie) and Kabal felt like a dollar store Kano to me in terms of personality. Trying to be funny but failing miserably because Kano just pulled off the smartass schtick better

I rather the director and writer would've just tried to create their own, unique memorable lines and scenes rather than re-do classic ones. For the lack of creativity, the arkana while simple did the job for me to help explain human super powers. It could've been fleshed out more, especially in relation the dragon mark, but I liked it.
Yea the Arkana was effective but I didnt get the logic behind the mark.....If you were "chosen" then why could it just jump to the random person that kills you... If you get run over by accident by an old man, does he now become a defender of earth realm.

The fights were over so quickly after the re-group that I just couldn't believe this is how it was going to end.
The fights were disappointing to me. A lot of cuts (which if fine if the cuts are done when a character is being pushed, not striked), short and having the camera constantly switch from one fight to another while 4 of them are occurring simultaneously is just ridiculous. Like you have actual martial artists in this movie, show a long fight without cutting every two hits... With movies like The Raid (who Joe Talsim is in) and John Wick, I was expecting fights of this caliber, interspersed with some visual effects for the powers