What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

You guys are pathetic, if you don’t think Sub Zero and that ice looks great as well as the accurate depiction of Liu and Lao then you’re just being a negative nelly.

Also the plot sounds intriguing, much better as a story than Raiden assembling just a team of 3 of which 1 was the chosen one from the get go. I’m excited.

Again, people expecting that DC Comics movie, finally here’s your confirmation that it’s going to be brutal, with fatalities and lots of blood. Greg Russo mentioned it before, but here’s the word officially. We’ll see some iconic fatalities!!!

Visually looks good. Depends on the directorial now. Still hate the Cole Turner idea, but hey, maybe he's well written.

A number of the Reddit responses to the test screenings described it as Legends: Scorpion's Revenge meets Legacy, which certainly seems to sound that way from the EW article, especially with Scorpion and Sub Zero's opening... which I'm more than happy to look forward to seeing on the big screen (well, I'll probably end up watching it at home, but you know what I mean) and the screen shots look great (really want to see the rest of Sub Zero now though!).

I'm also quite optimistic and open-minded to seeing the film through a new neutral-character's eyes (though from what I hear he's a descendent of one of the main characters). The tournament's regularly been shown to have had a wealth of Earthrealm fighters alongside the main heroes and I think that may give it a great opportunity to put the rest of the classic cast of characters into a more even-footing with one another as an ensemble group rather than it being just the worn out Liu Kang story (and I'm not just saying that because my screen name's Art Lean haha). Plus Lewis Tan reportedly loves the series, which was evident from how many selfies he released from the set of Legacy 3 where he was playing Kung Jin and seemed as excited as a kid to be doing so, so I have faith his enthusiasm for the franchise will be projected on screen.

Not a fan of kano without his metal eye. Other than that, nice screens.
By the look of him in the photo, my guess is that the flesh over that cyber eye will get torn, exposing it at some point.
not sure why the filmmakers overthink some of these things.

I like the look of the promo pics, except for Kung Lao, who looks a little Downsy.
That being said, they are just stills. I wonder why they are holding back on the trailer for so long. Having a sense of the tone and feel of the movie will go a long way to building hype.

I have low expectations for this film, but of course I'll give it a try for sure because I always try not to judge a film before watching it.

Greg Russo will also write the Resident Evil reboot so the MK film will give me the first impressions on how he handled the script. I have zero problem with the MK film being his first script (If I recall correctly he said it was his first big project), but this can be a good or a bad thing. But honestly for Resident Evil it can only be better than the Anderson version... I hope lol

To be honest the MK lore is a mess right now, especially after MK11 story and Aftermath. The best possible thing to do is to ignore the recent MK stories and keep things simple.
If WB had any sense they would pull John Tobias out of mobile game hell and put him back to work making MK's lore great again. Even if he left of his own accord waft some fat stacks in his face so he can't refuse the offer, for just one game or production at least. Being a fan of the story and seeing some of the flabbergasting retcons and changes this franchise has gone through is god damn painful.

Oh its Cole YOUNG....

Lol this is gonna blow chunks
I’m not going to spoil anything on here, but people have been to test screenings of this movie, and let’s just Cole Young is actually someone else, and there is a reason his name was changed which is explained by the end of the movie.

Well, the casting looks... decent ? I think Sub-Zero looks good, Sonya and Kano looks great (assuming Kano will get his laser eye at one point in the movie). I like Jax but come on that mustache, just why ? Lol.

This Cole Turner guy looks like a disaster. He seems to be a poor man's version of Johnny. By the way is there even Johnny in the film ? Or this clown is supposed to replace him ?

"Tan used his own experience to develop a fresh style for Cole. He pulled from UFC fighter Jorge Masvidal for that "salt-of-the-earth grit," while also tapping into muay Thai (a.k.a. Thai kickboxing), judo, jujitsu, and "MMA roots."

^ this actually sounds really good. No telling whether the plot is solid, but having someone take fighting styles from actual fighters rather than wire-acrobats sounds like a good start.

God I hope this turns out good. The stills look good, but they're just stills. Also, I hope this is just a pic before Kano gets the eye.

Also I hope this movie explains or at least doesn't fall into that weird plot hole of when did the scorpion/sub rivalry and killing happen?? Like was it feudal japan with swords and stuff? Are they immortal? Why did Scorpion wait until the modern age for revenge? And if it was all during modern age didn't people like......wonder why ninja clans were having medieval battles and such?

Well, the casting looks... decent ? I think Sub-Zero looks good, Sonya and Kano looks great (assuming Kano will get his laser eye at one point in the movie). I like Jax but come on that mustache, just why ? Lol.

This Cole Turner guy looks like a disaster. He seems to be a poor man's version of Johnny. By the way is there even Johnny in the film ? Or this clown is supposed to replace him ?
Johnny isn’t in the movie but alluded to. Cole isn’t replacing Johnny Cage either. The characters name is a red herring, watch The movie and you’ll find out who Cole really is.

I’m not going to spoil anything on here, but people have been to test screenings of this movie, and let’s just Cole Young is actually someone else, and there is a reason his name was changed which is explained by the end of the movie.
Let me guess, he has a stage name...