What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

Early showing always have some sort of review embargo. When does that lift? Does it lift at all?
Or can we just expect single emoji “reviews” for the next 4 months?

Apparently screenings got cancelled.
Dang.

From some more reading around it sounds like Lewis Tan will be the Cole Turner dude, as Tan is playing the lead character in the film.

And while Russo says fatalities will be faithful to the games...I think the kicker is which game heh.

They coulda released some promo photos or something at least. :D

Dang.

From some more reading around it sounds like Lewis Tan will be the Cole Turner dude, as Tan is playing the lead character in the film.

And while Russo says fatalities will be faithful to the games...I think the kicker is which game heh.

They coulda released some promo photos or something at least. :D
It doesn’t bode well for us that nobody outside of Greg Russo has been promoting it. It’s really odd. An Asian playing a guy with the whitest name ever, also just not a good sign.

Dang.

I want to have hope for this, Lewis Tan was the one guy who was truly promoting himself with passion as part of Legacy Season 3 (as Kung Jin), he seemed genuinely excited for being part of the franchise and is the one guy who has the most photographic evidence of that sadly shelved (but fully completed) season. Here's hoping his love for the franchise and his transfer of character into a different cinematic role (that was presumably because of his part in Legacy 3) will reward us with something enjoyable.

Last edited:
Just read on MK leaks that it's very different from the OG movie, better fights and story potential. Also Lewis Tan = Cole Turner is confirmed.

Just read on MK leaks that it's very different from the OG movie, better fights and story potential. Also Lewis Tan = Cole Turner is confirmed.
And the feedback's that it was "good" :laughing:

One person said it's like Legends: Scorpion ramped up to 1000. Very excited to see it now!

Last edited:
Well, there is some info, but your guess is as good as mine how much of it is reliable. I'm compiling this from several different sources so it's also possible that some sources might be telling the truth but others are lying.

Great fights, great costumes, very gory. Does not follow the games' story closely. No Johnny. Cole Turner main character. Some say he's cool, others say he's forgettable. Nitara's just there to die. Mileena has her MK11 mouth. Kano is "the best character in the movie" according to one dude. Jax does get metal arms. Raiden's role is apparently not very big. The movie appears to be setting up lots of sequels.

Last edited:
Well, there is some info, but your guess is as good as mine how much of it is reliable. I'm compiling this from several different sources so it's also possible that some sources might be telling the truth but others are lying.
Just for now, toss this stuff inside a spoiler tag in case there are people who want to go in fresh.

All of that supposed info is so vague, that I’m not sure I believe these people actually saw the film.
“it’s gory” but no details.
“Great costumes” but not one detail.
“Great fights” but no details.
Yeah......no.

All of that supposed info is so vague, that I’m not sure I believe these people actually saw the film.
“it’s gory” but no details.
“Great costumes” but not one detail.
“Great fights” but no details.
Yeah......no.
Since I wrote that, there's been a lot of other sources corroborating everything I wrote above and going into much more detail. Sounds like it was all true. Massive spoilers in spoiler tag.

Bi Han is the main threat of the movie (although Shang is technically the main villain). Hanzo fights him at the start of the movie, and Scorpion fights him at the end. Bi Han has MKX Sub costume.

It's not a tournament, just fights.

Cole Turner is Hanzo's descendent. Cole fights Goro at some point.

Kano is working with Sonya in some capacity, he has one of the bigger roles in the film and is very entertaining. They're investigating/tracking marks, which sounds kind of reminiscent of the Annihilation dragon tattoos.

Jax loses his arms and it's super gory, gets metal arms. Jax saves Cole from Sub-Zero at some point. Not clear if the two scenes are related.

Liu Kang wears a white tank top and black joggers. He's very monkish (I'm guessing like MK11). Smaller role, he only shows up about half way through. Has a great fight scene. It might be with Mileena (this is my own guess based on the next info). Kitana's existence is hinted at when Liu Kang and Mileena meet each other.

Mileena has MK11 lips and long tongue.

Raiden and Shang have small-ish roles. Kung Lao seems to have a small or tiny role.

Reptile has a cameo in reptilian form.

Kabal is awesome and has MK11 suit. I'm guessing they mean his revenant gear.