What's new

Mortal Kombat movie gets new Director, Simon McQuoid

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
For what it's worth, this bit of news indicates that the new Mortal Kombat movie is still in development. We knew James Wan (Furious 7, The Conjuring, etc) was going to be producing it, but the director was yet to be established. According to sources; one of them being IGN, Simon McQuoid will be taking that role.

Simon is mainly known from the commercials he has directed. On this website: http://www.simonmcquoid.com/ they all appear to be showcased, so feel free to check them out.

mkm.jpg

This isn't exactly a hype-popper considering how long we have been hearing about another film being in the works, so hopefully Simon can cover some good ground and start getting us excited again.

Source: IGN va TheKombatTether

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
I'm not going to watch the commercials. If he had some trailers, I ought think twice to see if he would be good for this movie. We, also, need to know the fighters represented in there.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
may I ask what happened to this?
Well, to put this politely ...really politely, it seems that a big group of people disliked the direction that Kevin Tancharoen (the director) took MK with his Rebirth short(2010), Legacy season 1 (2011) and Legacy season 2 (2013).
Even though another large group loved JUST THE FACT that MK came back to our screens with these 3 projects, the general on line feedback lead Tancharoen to quit the MK related project.
At one point, he was to direct the MK movie reboot (Warner Bros producing it) with a script ready and all, but he chose to let it go somewhere in early 2014.

Well, to put this politely ...really politely, it seems that a big group of people disliked the direction that Kevin Tancharoen (the director) took MK with his Rebirth short(2010), Legacy season 1 (2011) and Legacy season 2 (2013).
Even though another large group loved JUST THE FACT that MK came back to our screens with these 3 projects, the general on line feedback lead Tancharoen to quit the MK related project.
At one point, he was to direct the MK movie reboot (Warner Bros producing it) with a script ready and all, but he chose to let it go somewhere in early 2014.
ohh thanks to the info man

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
please dont let it be like mortal kombat 2 movie when liu kang was confused the whole time raiden with the short hair sub zero big ass mask jax with the phoney arms and the list goes on. the only thing i liked about the second movie is that sonya was bad ass and they picked a good shao kahn.

This movie could be huge, I have high hopes for it. The reason I am saying this because they have the right blend of talents involved in the production, script and direction of this movie. James Wan knows exactly what people want to see in terms of action, style etc. and McQuoid understand the nature of the people, and his niche audience as he is from advertisement business. If these two guys get on the right foot, and work together properly honouring the source material, I am pretty sure the end product is going to be an absolute diamond!

I'm glad this dudes getting a shot but could we have maybe picked a guy who's most notable work is not an h and r block commercial
I see your concern, but if you have a right driver (James Wan in this case) then they know how to tackle the young guns. If you read about McQuoid, you will see his demand in his field, but yes, it is on the studio, and the producers to stop him from doing rookie mistakes, and get the best out of him! I just want to see this movie getting up from the ground.