What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Easter Eggs

first and foremost, I thought this movie was great for the fans of the game! Obviously it’s not going to win any academy awards but it’s everything you’d want in a MK movie (good fight scenes, cool special effects, fight scenes, gore and cheesy lines).

what Easter eggs did y’all notice? This is what I got so far

1. The picture of Nightwolf on Sonyas wall
  2. Kitanas fan on display in the temple
  3. The amulet Kano stole looks like Shinnoks
  4. Jax and Reiko fighting on what looks like The Pit (would have loved to see an uppercut fatality here)
  5. Obviously the fatalities/moves that come from the games (especially like mileenas teleport attacks)
  6. Jax mentioned winning the belt from an “Eddie Tobias”
what else y’all got?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Frustrating thing about the Night Wolf part is the text that accompanies the image repeats itself. This is a common trick utilised for newspapers, articles, book pages etc. in movie prop design but I thought it may have died out now everything's in HD and can be paused for scrutiny:

"It will be so small, no one will be able to read it.
Instead, I will write sentences of sufficiently different lengths so that it looks like regular English usage.
See how nice and short that last sense was? This will be a longer paragraph made up of several sentences, as if listing the many amazing accomplishments of the too-soon-departed Ensign Wallace, after all, Riker remembers him so fondly, he must have been a pretty terrific guy, i mean, sure there those rumors, but Starfleet investigative services cleared him of any wrong doing.
I wonder if this will be readable in Hi-Def?
And this sentence will take us off the end of the page in such a way that it ends in the middle of a very important thought. Unreadable biographical text goes here, it would be telling us vital information about the handsome fellow pictured to the right, but let's face it: Writing all that up for every single person would take more time than I care to spend, In the end,"

DeftMonk

Noob
I feel like there was some dialogue which borrowed parts from mk11 intros but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Art Lean

Noob

And this one may be a stretch, but my eyes are totally telling me this is a behind-the-scenes shot from MK Legacy's Scorpion Vs Sub Zero episodes, the setting; the costumes, everything visually matches:

This is a common trick utilised for newspapers, articles, book pages etc. in movie prop design but I thought it may have died out now everything's in HD and can be paused for scrutiny:
My question is why people are scrutinising things like this so much? In the context of the film it's "look we have this info we found", it's irrelevant what's on it because the viewer never gets the opportunity to delve into it. If the producers want to go the length of adding some easter eggs in there great, but i don't think it detracts from anything.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
At the end when shadows wrap around Bi-Han's body, Shang goes, "Death is just a portal" or something and I thought that was a reference to Bi-Han becoming Noob. But then all the dead people's bodies did the same thing, so maybe not.

Art Lean

Noob
Production photographs confirmed that the diner originally had references to Sindel and Cetrion back when they started filming, but you can see that in the final film they were actually removed (perhaps for being too on-the-nose or they want to use the characters in future movies and don't want daft references to them in the first one?) and the whole sign has been made far more weathered... EDITED TO ADD: although it turns out that the Cetrion billboard was kept, but moved to the far left side of the diner; the furthest banner down the alleyway instead of being on the front:

Last edited:

Art Lean

Noob
Kano says to Sonya in the desert "whadaya say... you wanna dance?"

Clear nod to Johnny Cage's "Let's dance" catchphrase in MK95. Part of me wanted her to say it even though it would be too on the nose. Speaking of which... is anyone else annoyed that Linden Ashby's intros for MK11 DON'T include the "this is where you fall down" rapport with Sheeva?