What's new

MORTAL KOMBAT MEDIA MONDAYS - MK vs The WWF?

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Hey everyone its Jay aka BanTheTesters here to once again drop some nerd knowledge on you for one BIG article. If anyone has ever followed the FGC closely you know that wrestling and fighting games almost go hand and hand, but some of you might not know how close together the groups get, and today I’m here to explain more…

Back when no one knew this stood for “World Wildlife Fund”…

Ah it was like yesterday, good old 1995 the year of the dragon….the Mortal Kombat 3 dragon that would change gaming forever. Sweet new graphics and a Dial a Combo system would set the world on fire NBA Jam style…but there was another game that might have been overlooked in 1995 that dropped to arcades…a game by the name of “WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game”..let’s take a look and see a gem we might have missed

Now who here REALLY wanted to see if Bret Hart Could Pick up that Arcade Cab..?

WWF the arcade game was released in 1995 developed exclusively by Midway (the developer's of the Mortal Kombat franchise…wink wink) with home console ports done by a few different studios (more on that later). The game wasn’t developed by the "original" Mortal Kombat team but by a group who had VERY close ties to the development team for MK namely Mark Turmell ,Sal Divita, and Josh Tsui! Lets take a look at some of the team shell we?

Album Cover of the YEAR!!!

First up we have Mark Turmell, Born in Bay City a “weird” teen he made a game for the Apple 2 and was collecting checks for up to $10,000..again as just a teen! He would later help developed and ship games such as “NFL Blitz, NBA Jam, and Smash TV! He also took pride in blowing off the one and only Bill Gates to work with Atari instead. He even admitted that the NBA Jam was “rigged” against the Chicago Bulls (Turmell was a Pistons fan by the way) which would start producing “bricked” aka missed shots if taken during the last seconds of a game. Mr. Turmell would later go on to work for EA Games as a senior director then left there to join Zynga.

For those wondering, no…he no longer has the long hair…

Next up is Chicago born video game designer Sal Divita. Some of you may know Mr. Divita as the characters Nightwolf, Cyrax, Sektor, and Smoke in Mortal Kombat 3,UMK3 and MK Trology. He is also a voice over actor and Motion Capture artist, who also worked on the NFL Blitz series doing football player animation Motion Capture work and fighting the good fight with Mark Turmell to keep some of the cartoonish violence in the NFL Blitz arcade game after the NFL decided to “wash their hands of it” and even tried to give Midway the license fee money BACK. His last game credit was in 2011.

The face you constantly make when your a Bad Ass

And last but not least we have Josh Tsui who was born in Korea (and his parents are in fact Chinese). He later moved to Chicago to study film which then sparked his interest in animation. While trying to follow a friend into a job working on video games at Midway didn’t pan out at first he would later join after 8 interviews over a year after his boss convinced Midway they needed his “video guy skills”. Soon After his honeymoon he got a call to work on WWF the Arcade Game. He would go on to work with John Tobias on such titles as Mortal Kombat 2,Mortal Kombat 4 and Mortal Kombat Mythologies! He kept on trucking by working for Mr. Tobias at his new studio “Studio Gigante” to help develop Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus for Microsoft. The game sold well but no squeal was made due to the team taking up THQ’s WWE Wrestlemania 21.

Surprisingly when Searching for photos of Josh, a Pics of Nick Jonas popped up..why?

Mr. Tsui later got wind that a certain “dream project” of his was in need of being made. A new Tony Hawk Game was on the horizon and Tsui wanted in. He would go on to form his own studio “Robomondo” which lead to a deal with Activition and developed such games as “Tony Hawk: Ride”, Tony Hawk: Shred” , 2012’s “Tony Hawk HD” and 2015’s infamous “Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5”.

Regardless of your feelings on the new THPS5 at least we got a new game..

WWF the Arcade game plays just like the Mortal Kombat series before it in a very similar fashion. It’s a 5 botton arcade fighter with a run button combination (pressing 2 botton's at once). The game is also EXSTEMELY fast paced with a cartoonish and humor citric style. Players have a total of 8 characters to choose from featuring Shawn Michael's, Razor Ramon, The Undertaker, Bam Bam Bigelow, Doink the Clown, and others. Instead of blood the characters “bleed” certain objects such as Hearts coming out of Bret Hart.

Side by side who’s scarier Doink the clown…or IT…?)

Players have a choice to choose to go for the Intercontinental Title or the Federation one. Only four characters appear on the screen at the same time and only ONE known character had a “finishing” move similar to a fatality. The Undertaker was said character and while other finishing moves were planned for the later versions of the game, none were made. Ringside Commentary voice work was done by Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler.

Man that is SUPER creepy without the official game sound music,no?

In retrospective all of Mark Turmell’s “16 hour work days” paid off as the game has the look and feel of the Mortal Kombat titles, as well as the button style (with the exception of the way running was done). Over the course of a few years there were several ports of the game some of which were published by Acclaim (yes THAT Acclaim that Mr. @jamessmk worked for!) for the SNES, 32X, Sega Saturn,DOS, and Playstation. The “CD Rom” versions of the game are considered the “closest” ports to the original arcade version with the minor exception that the game Freezes when loading certain elements of the game. During it’s run, GamePro called it “one of the most addictive arcade games to date”!

You have to admit this is probably the BEST behind the scenes vid ever right?

Alas all is not lost….while “arcade” centric style sports games are just about a thing of the past there are still ways to quench your wrestling thirst! Just before the Midway Studio closure they pumped out 2008’s “TNA Impact” (from the original studio that brought us MK Shaolin Monks!) for the PS3,Xbox 360 and Wii consoles. A motion capture masterpiece true to the TV show it’s based off of featuring tag, single, and Ultimate X matches. And in 2011 the Sal Divita produced arcade style romp fest “WWE All-stars” hit the mate of the Xbox 360 and Ps3 with its very own freaking FIGHTSTICK! While a huge exaggeration to the “arcade feel” of wrestling the online servers for the game have since been shut down as of 2013.

How many Midway Game Easter eggs can you spot in this video?

Well I think that just about raps it up for this very long article! I hope everyone had fun reading it, and I will hopefully be back with more stuff later on down the line or add to this series if need be. Big shout out again to @Tim Static and TYM for giving me a chance to bridge the gap between MK and Wrestling fans to more for the masses. Hope to see you guys in a bigger capacity here soon,Thanks for reading!

Catch me on the Inter-webs:
Sources:

Attachments

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Interesting read! I remember seeing that Wrestlemania game ad in one of my Spiderman comics haha I was always like "wtf is Bret Hart trying to even do?"

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I bought this game on my Windows 95 Packard computer when I was in middle school. Fun Times!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is one of my favorite games, ever.

Btw @MashSuper, do you ever speak with the guy who's doing the Midway documentary?

Last edited:
I love this game so much. It's also one of the only competitive games I've had the true confidence to admit my actual skill. Seriously, I would money match anyone at this damn game!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
For anyone who cares, there was definitely more "Fatalities" than just Undertaker. It's been years and years since I've played this game, but off the top of my head:

Shawn Michaels - Dropped The Heartbreak Hotel on you. Literally dropped a tiny hotel on the opponent and crushed him.

I know there was more but I can't really recall them. Hopefully I'm not thinking of the console sequel (In Your House). Actually, I might be thinking of the Super Pins. Shit...I can't remember.

Also, there was a rumor that if you were able to beat the WWF title mode with every character in one sitting, you were able to play as Adam Bomb. I doubt this is true, but I really do miss the days where some guy would start a rumor in an arcade across the country and it would eventually just get around to everyone.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
For anyone who cares, there was definitely more "Fatalities" than just Undertaker. It's been years and years since I've played this game, but off the top of my head:

Shawn Michaels - Dropped The Heartbreak Hotel on you. Literally dropped a tiny hotel on the opponent and crushed him.

I know there was more but I can't really recall them. Hopefully I'm not thinking of the console sequel (In Your House). Actually, I might be thinking of the Super Pins. Shit...I can't remember.

Also, there was a rumor that if you were able to beat the WWF title mode with every character in one sitting, you were able to play as Adam Bomb. I doubt this is true, but I really do miss the days where some guy would start a rumor in an arcade across the country and it would eventually just get around to everyone.
Miss those days too.
As far as i know the hbk finisher was in In your House

BanTheTesters

This is one of my favorite games, ever.

Btw, do you ever speak with the guy who's doing the Midway documentary?
Who, the "Insert Coin" Doc guys? Ha I've actually spoken to them a few times via twitter about possibly doing voice over work for future projects etc.

But as far as this article was concerned I have not spoken to them. This was just my own research/findings etc. Plus i also have no idea how In depth they go for this game.

I'm excited about their project because Josh Tsui and CO are heavily involved and Midway = Hype back in the day!

Lots of love coming from the folks doing that Doc!

BanTheTesters

Interesting read! I remember seeing that Wrestlemania game ad in one of my Spiderman comics haha I was always like "wtf is Bret Hart trying to even do?"
Nice, glad you enjoyed it! Ha man i think I only remember seeing the actual add once! WWE vs Spiderman...hmmmm lol

John Grizzly

Anyone who enjoyed this game, I demand you check out WWE All Stars from a few years back on either 360 or PS3. Shit was amazing and also created by a lot of the same guys from the Midway days. Crazy combos and finishers. Absolutely fun as hell. God damn my Big Show was cheap.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Anyone who enjoyed this game, I demand you check out WWE All Stars from a few years back on either 360 or PS3. Shit was amazing and also created by a lot of the same guys from the Midway days. Crazy combos and finishers. Absolutely fun as hell. God damn my Big Show was cheap.
Yup, Sal Divita was the producer. It wasn't even a wrestling game, it was a fighting game in a ring. Worlds better than any WWF/WWE game mentioned in this thread :D

John Grizzly

Yup, Sal Divita was the producer. It wasn't even a wrestling game, it was a fighting game in a ring. Worlds better than any WWF/WWE game mentioned in this thread :D
All Stars is the most fun I've had in a game with the WWE name on it since No Mercy for the N64. It's just so awesome and I'm bummed a sequel wasn't made.