What's new

Mortal Kombat II on Playstation Japan/PSP

I just got my hands on a copy of Mortal Kombat II for the Playstation that was only made available in Japan, it's been converted to an eboot file for the PSP. Seeing if anyone here has had a chance to play this as well for the PSX or for the PSP? It's pretty sweet, loading it on the PSP rather than the PSX helps with the load times since it is reading the file off of the memory card instead of the disc. Only lag I get really in the game is when Shang morphs, it's very minor but there.

If no one's seen this, I can post a video tomorrow of me playing it on the PSP.

Can't believe they didn't release this in the states.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Have that game somewhere too...Loading time is soooo horrible and the sound? LOL

Raiden's Shock Grab is unblockable and an infinite in that version and the Saturn version.

ZAQ

Noob
I used to have a video of that years ago but my youtube account got shat upon.

Very strange that they remade a game with all kinds of weird changes in it. Was there no approval process ?

Konqrr - If you have a PSP (hacked one) I suggest putting it on there as an eboot file, the load times are so quick - only have noticed lag when Shang morphs and on a few fatalities that's about it when I play it on the PSP.

Scheiss - That's too bad you don't have the video on youtube anymore. I just completed that tonight and MKT for a world record attempt for twin galaxies - gonna send in the videos tomorrow :)

I'm glad I found this, I'm heading to LA for 3 weeks to shoot Hatchet 2, so on my PSP I have MKII, MK3, MKT and MK4 (all PSX eboots) and MK Unchained - will hold me over nicely since I can't bring my PS3 with me and such to LA.

I'll try to post a video tonight of my PSP gameplay with this loaded as an eboot, way faster loading and gameplay, I convert most of my PSX games to play on my PSP just to get rid of most of the load times.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Tim Static said:
someone explain how a USA player DL's a game for PSN in Japan.
I don't think you can anymore. Ask Goofart aka Yamagishi, he has a Japanese PS3.

The one I'm talking about here is the physical PSX game for Mortal Kombat II from Japan that was converted to an eboot file to play on the PSP, or you can play the disc on a PSX, PS2 or PS3 (haven't tried it with my PS3 yet to see if it is compatible).

I didn't get it from the PSN store in Japan, it was a released PSX disc only in Japan.

Didn't know if you were talking to me on that last post Tim :p

Isn't the MKII on Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play the PS1 version? It had loading screens and everything, and the sound effects were the same.

Davey_8000 said:
Isn't the MKII on Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play the PS1 version? It had loading screens and everything, and the sound effects were the same.
No, that was an emulation of the arcade revision 3.1 rom. It's essentially (with some minor differences in audio and graphics) the same as playing on MAME or an arcade cab.

The actual game as designed for PSX was total shit. If you watch the video, you can see how poorly they configured the SFX and background music, the overall gameplay is slow and cumbersome, and the loading times were brutal. It's almost identical to the Sega Saturn MKII port. Inexplicably, instead of installing the audio as actual CD tracks on the disc (which would have meant arcade quality music and sfx), they re-did everything in midi, and they did so in even worse quality than the Genesis port.

Tim Static

Adminerator
xDisciplex said:
The one I'm talking about here is the physical PSX game for Mortal Kombat II from Japan that was converted to an eboot file to play on the PSP, or you can play the disc on a PSX, PS2 or PS3 (haven't tried it with my PS3 yet to see if it is compatible).

I didn't get it from the PSN store in Japan, it was a released PSX disc only in Japan.

Didn't know if you were talking to me on that last post Tim :p
I thought you were talking about the game coming out in Japan on PSN. My bad.

Anywho, the Japanese PS1 port is terrible.

Much better ways to play MKII on the PSP

I don't get any lag during the gameplay on my PSP with the PSX eboot file, only during some fatalities and slightly when Shang morphs. When played on a playstation system other than the PSP, you'll see a slower laggy game, but on a modded PSP you don't really get that.

Another cool note is the PSX Japan version has Shang laughing when he wins a round, where as the other MKII versions he stands still. Gonna play it more tonight and tomorrow to see if I can find some other stuff from this version.

ZAQ

Noob
Yeah, I watched that review by TotalMK about it, but I thought he laughed in the arcade version too. I don't know where else I would have seen it.

ZAQ

Noob
He barely tested any of the differences, just the music, sounds, and other crap that barely matters.

Just try to moves out yourself and you will have a better understanding.