What's new

Mortal Kombat Battle for the Realms Discussion (Spoilers)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Has anyone watched it yet?

So I decided to watch Scorpion's Revenge and Battle for the Realms back to back, and I'm very happy as a fan. Watching them together really made it feel like one long movie, which was VERY fun! While I could nit pick both the movies to death, I absolutely liked how the characters were portrayed, I especially liked how they handled Liu...as FINALLY seeing him "go off" was very cathartic. And I really liked how they stuck to / added to the established lore throughout BotR.

While I to think the movie could have ended after Kahn's defeat and then set up for another movie, I (generally speaking) liked where they took it, and and how they ended the movie. I really didn't feel let down at all, which was surprising as they indeed were trying to cover A LOT. Though I think I would have liked to see a whole movie about Shinnok by himself, I'm fine with how they did it here.

I wonder if they will make a third movie? Where will they go? Will Kahn return? Onaga? Kronika? A new villain? I do hope they continue with these.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Best MK movie since MK1 in my opinion.
Inovative
Refreshing
Background stories from bios finally had their time to shine like the Cyber Initiative
John Tobias Credited
More than 2 arcs in movie
New timeline
Fire and Ice
Realm questions that wandered for years answered.
Epic fights and animations
X Rays well represented.

Very well written and i felt engaged for the entire movie definitely a 10/10
And NRS can even make a whole game based on the ending of this animation.

Onilordasmodeus

I have to say (again), my favorite part about the movie was Liu Kang...and I really can't express that enough. Finally seeing the MK3 depiction of Liu defeating Kahn was great (even though it was in the MK2 Tourney). And the way the writers actually brought real meaning to Raiden giving up his god-hood (another MK3 thing) was great too. Thinking back, I guess MK Annihilation tried to do this, but here it just worked. They did a really good job with that.

Also, it has always been hinted at / expressed through certain events that Liu is the most skilled fighter of them all (including Raiden) but this movie just nailed it in this respect. Seeing Mortal Raiden struggling in fights was pretty cool., and seeing Liu's concern for him just added so much depth. Add to that, seeing both Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung do their thing was awesome too! Shao basically 1-shotting all his opponents, and seeing Shang kill Stryker the way he did, these are the types of things that really show off the power scale of the characters well.

The story progression in the tournament arc was amazing too...

• All the Earth fighters getting schooled/destroyed by Kahn and Shang (including Kung Lao (another MK3 thing)).;
  • Liu beating Shang Tsung and telling him to his face that "it wasn't even close".;
  • Liu being cursed by Shang in their battle and that curse affecting him in his fight with Kahn.;
  • Raiden NOT being a god, and NOT being able to cure Liu's curse thus only further cementing that the humans / Liu couldn't rely on Raiden's power.;
  • and then Raiden dieing in the end in his fight with Kahn...
All this culminating with Liu essentially being backed into a corner, and realizing he was it, the only one who could stop Kahn, and that he basically had to go beyond his limits / fight up to his potential to win... Chef's kiss. I loved it. I've been singing this song for 25 years, waiting for someone to do it right, to give it justice, and I really feel like they did the MK3 story well here.

Onilordasmodeus

This movie is good I gave a fuck that Stryker died. Stryker.
So did I. As soon as Shang possessed him, I knew he was dead, but I didn't want him to die (lol!). And then it was just dread as I didn't know how they were going to kill him. MK2 style, MK 9 style, something new... I sorta wanted to see MK 2 style.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Just finished having a watch party of Scorpion's Revenge and Battle of the Realms.

It really bums me out that I found Battle of the Realms to be incredibly disappointing. It was one of the very few movies in recent memory that I actually allowed myself to get excited for. I suppose that's what makes the disappointment that much worse. I won't go into too much detail since it's late, and I haven't had time to mull things over, but these are my initial thoughts.

It really felt like 2 movies slapped together and the whole thing was worse off for it. I would have much preferred a strong focus on the tournament so we could get lots of great extended fights instead of constantly having to cut away to Scorp and Sub. As for the actual fights in the tournament, not only were they generally disappointingly short, but downright confusing at times. There was a bunch of confusion in the room after the Johnny fight "ended". Everyone was just like, "Wait...is that it? He didn't yield or get killed or anything? He's just...out now?" It was really awkward. And after that, many of the fights just felt like they were montage'd instead of given their proper due. A few of them also had somewhat awkward or ambiguous endings that left us a little confused or let down.

Everything with Kitana was weird and awkward, from her infatuation with Liu to her bizarre plan to kill Shao, become queen, and surrender. It was all so fast and sudden, and just done in such a clunky, almost laughable manner. Also, just a side note, but it really bothered me that Jax got his arms destroyed, then they showed up again perfectly fine for the rest of the film. Unless I missed something explaining how that happened.

I'd say worst of all was the post-tournament ending battle sequence. I just thought it was all stupid and felt like it fit right in Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Just straight-up goofiness. I could tell that everyone in the room, myself included, had just tuned out with eyes glazed over as the big Doomsday monster did its thing. I honestly cannot overstate how terrible this was. So much wasted time that could have been spent enhancing the actually interesting and important parts of the movie.

As for things I liked, much like the first movie, I think this version of Raiden is great. It's his best depiction since the original film, and better than Raiden in any of the games. I was sad to see him go. I really liked Liu Kang's final line to Shang as well. Something along the lines of, "...it wasn't even close." That was great, and made me smile. It was nice to see Smoke even though I didn't care for that plotline at all. I'm also glad the X-Rays returned. It was great to see Stryker. I really liked him, and it was a bummer that he had to die. I also really liked all of the fanservice and references. My favorite was probably the Temple of Elements and the wind gusts. That caught me off guard and got a chuckle out of me.

I had really high expectations, so I'm sad that the night ended in disappointment. It also kind of sucks because it feels like an end to the series as well with Shao Khan dead along with Raiden, Shinnok, and (I guess) the elder gods. Before watching this, I was hoping there'd be a string of great MK animated films, but it doesn't seem likely. I'm sure they could do something if they wanted to, but my expectations will be tempered going forward.

Last edited:

Onilordasmodeus

Realms are actually planets, nor a random dimmention, so netherrealm is a planet too?
The way they depicted in the movie are as planets, but the realm encompasses the space around the planet as well. And the "planets" are not the same size either.

Onilordasmodeus

Just finished having a watch party of Scorpion's Revenge and Battle of the Realms.

It really bums me out that I found Battle of the Realms to be incredibly disappointing. It was one of the very few movies in recent memory that I actually allowed myself to get excited for. I suppose that's what makes the disappointment that much worse. I won't go into too much detail since it's late, and I haven't had time to mull things over, but these are my initial thoughts.

It really felt like 2 movies slapped together and the whole thing was worse off for it. I would have much preferred a strong focus on the tournament so we could get lots of great extended fights instead of constantly having to cut away to Scorp and Sub. As for the actual fights in the tournament, not only were they generally disappointingly short, but downright confusing at times. There was a bunch of confusion in the room after the Johnny fight "ended". Everyone was just like, "Wait...is that it? He didn't yield or get killed or anything? He's just...out now?" It was really awkward. And after that, many of the fights just felt like they were montage'd instead of given their proper due. A few of them also had somewhat awkward or ambiguous endings that left us a little confused or let down.

Everything with Kitana was weird and awkward, from her infatuation with Liu to her bizarre plan to kill Shao, become queen, and surrender. It was all so fast and sudden, and just done in such a clunky, almost laughable manner. Also, just a side note, but it really bothered me that Jax got his arms destroyed, then they showed up again perfectly fine for the rest of the film. Unless I missed something explaining how that happened.

I'd say worst of all was the post-tournament ending battle sequence. I just thought it was all stupid and felt like it fit right in Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Just straight-up goofiness. I could tell that everyone in the room, myself included, had just tuned out with eyes glazed over as the big Doomsday monster did its thing. I honestly cannot overstate how terrible this was. So much wasted time that could have been spent enhancing the actually interesting and important parts of the movie.

As for things I liked, much like the first movie, I think this version of Raiden is great. It's his best depiction since the original film, and better than Raiden in any of the games. I was sad to see him go. I really liked Liu Kang's final line to Shang as well. Something along the lines of, "...it wasn't even close." That was great, and made me smile. It was nice to see Smoke even though I didn't care for that plotline at all. I'm also glad the X-Rays returned. It was great to see Stryker. I really liked him, and it was a bummer that he had to die. I also really liked all of the fanservice and references. My favorite was probably the Temple of Elements and the wind gusts. That caught me off guard and got a chuckle out of me.

I had really high expectations, so I'm sad that the night ended in disappointment. It also kind of sucks because it feels like an end to the series as well with Shao Khan dead along with Raiden, Shinnok, and (I guess) the elder gods. Before watching this, I was hoping there'd be a string of great MK animated films, but it doesn't seem likely. I'm sure they could do something if they wanted to, but my expectations will be tempered going forward.
Though I did like the movie, more than I thought I would, I can see all of your points, especially the Kitana turn to good thing. It did feel rushed and unearned as though they did have a few lines of dialogue between the 2 movies where characters did talk at her about her loyalty to Kahn, they never really put a spotlight on it, so it did feel kind of out of left field.

The post tourney stuff to I could have done without here as well. I think it would have been a decent story to follow all it's own, but also, I don't feel like what they did here was "bad", rather just could have been done a bit better.

But yeah, in the time since I've watched the movie, and can definitely see why some people wouldn't like it, as it doesn't focus enough on general character and plot development. Liu and Raiden were definitely the focus, with Cage and Sonya's relationship (at least the foundation of their relationship) coming in second. If you are a fan of Kung Lao, Stryker, Li Mei, Reiko, Kintaro, or any of the other characters that were just put in here to have a body in there, you may be disappointed.

And the way the writers actually brought real meaning to Raiden giving up his god-hood (another MK3 thing) was great too.
That wasn't in Mortal Kombat 3 though. He was unable to fight because Earth was now ruled by the "Outworld Gods."

Realms are actually planets, nor a random dimmention, so netherrealm is a planet too?
While it's possible, until we see it in-game (specifically Story Mode), I would not take it as canon.

@Law Hero You summed up my thoughts quite well. I surprisingly enjoyed Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge (I am not an anime fan in the slightest), it's story was well done and relatively faithful to the lore. The sequel looked great and I was excited for it, so I actually bought a digital copy, and I regret doing so.

The first two Acts were good, but the third Act was just bad. The film really should have ended with Shao's defeat and the conclusion of the Outworld Tournament.

I enjoyed Mortal Kombat (2021) more, simply because with that film I got what I was expecting, a b-flick that was ultra cheesy but fun. For Mortal Kombat: Battle for the Realms, I was expecting something at least on par with "Scorpion's Revenge," but it was not to be.

Did anyone else notice how Mileena and Skarlet are listed in the credits, but are no-shows in the film. Lei Mei is not mentioned in the credits, so I'm wondering if they screwed up the names and called her Skarlet instead.

Onilordasmodeus

That wasn't in Mortal Kombat 3 though. He was unable to fight because Earth was now ruled by the "Outworld Gods."
MK3...MKT...same difference.
Though the movie changed how he became mortal, the fact that his mortality was used effectively is what I'm referring to. In the OG timeline Raiden becoming mortal happened, yes, but there was no real plot point tied to it at all.

If a new movie were to happen, I suspect they would use this as an opportunity to put Raiden on the EG pantheon (MK4). I'd love to see Fujin act as Earth's protector for a time.

MK3...MKT...same difference.
View attachment 18409
Though the movie changed how he became mortal, the fact that his mortality was used effectively is what I'm referring to. In the OG timeline Raiden becoming mortal happened, yes, but there was no real plot point tied to it at all.

If a new movie were to happen, I suspect they would use this as an opportunity to put Raiden on the EG pantheon (MK4). I'd love to see Fujin act as Earth's protector for a time.
Ah, I never played Mortal Kombat Trilogy; it was not a version of the game I was keen on. The story changed a bit from Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 to Mortal Kombat Trilogy as well.

Raiden's bit here is one of those changes.

Onilordasmodeus

Ah, I never played Mortal Kombat Trilogy; it was not a version of the game I was keen on. The story changed a bit from Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 to Mortal Kombat Trilogy as well.

Raiden's bit here is one of those changes.
Yeah. By the time MKT came along, with all the characters that they added, they added a bunch more story threads that wove themselves into Shao Kahn's downfall, and the rise of Shinnok. That was one of the cooler things they did in the OG timeline, as they laid some ground work for the rise of the Netherrealm in that game, that tied into MK Mythologies, that in turn tied into the MK4 story. I really appreciated those small details.

Yeah. By the time MKT came along, with all the characters that they added, they added a bunch more story threads that wove themselves into Shao Kahn's downfall, and the rise of Shinnok. That was one of the cooler things they did in the OG timeline, as they laid some ground work for the rise of the Netherrealm in that game, that tied into MK Mythologies, that in turn tied into the MK4 story. I really appreciated those small details.
Yeah, I also know they changed Mileena's back story here as well, to that instead of spying for Shao, she was feigning loyalty to him and really working for Shinnok.