What's new

Mortal Kombat Armageddon at NECXI - Thoughts and Discussion

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
One of the more notable moments of my time at NECXI was the time I spent playing MKA with Dan, Check, Jago, Arez, Riu and REO. Not only was it the first time I've had the chance to play MKA casuals with good players, but I learned so much about how the game is offline. It made me want to get back into it somewhat. :) I want to share some stuff I learned, and hopefully the others who played it with me will decide to share some stuff.

General character talks:

-Sareena's still top tier. No safe FF1 doesn't mean shit...she just has so many tools to take advantage of.

-Sub is not as safe as online, but considering his options after blocked h2h stance 3, it somewhat doesn't matter. It's comparable to blocking Abel's step kick in SSFIV...you get put into a mixup for even blocking it. Jago showed me this during the matches I had vs his Sub.

-Ermac is secretly good. Being able to take hella advantage of tele-slam for punishment is scary now. He already could get a lot of unbreakable damage for landing one of them, so offline this character is definitely solid.

-Kung plays so different offline because stuffs not safe and punishment is actually possible. He loses any safety he had online outside of his good h2h lows, but he gains one of the best punishment tools in the game. He becomes a very zone-based character who can rape projectiles at midscreen by simply blocking them, and his divekick works so many wonders now.

-Noob can still turtle, but he can't rush you down at all. 24...psh, not safe. He's not a top tier by any means, I don't think. That became evident when I used him a few times.

-Sheeva dies to a character who can mixup after lows. Her boss block makes it hard to punish shit you normally could easily do, and she has only 1 mid, and it's in her worst stance. You can just duck her and she has a hard time.

-Cyrax benefits from offline because 4 now punishes way too much.

-I thought Drahmin was the best in the game, but I'm not so sure after this weekend. I thought about it, and as good as he is, I can't help but think there's a better character than him. Yeah, he has pretty much the best CS string in the game, and it's hella versatile, but when you look at some other characters, I can't help but be surprised at the thought of a better character than him...matchup-wise, he struggles against a defensive character like Smoke, and I'll get to that later on.

-Smoke...I never realized how good his defensive options are. Cloud and spaced stinky fingers are brutal defensive tools. Honestly, I can't help but think he cracks top 10.

Matchups:

-Tanya vs Dairou is still bad, but at least Dairou has an opportunity to consistently punish poorly spaced air fireballs...online it was random whether you did or not.

-Smoke vs Kira is surprisingly worse for Kira than I thought. Her kiss is not as effective as Sonya's, and her lack of an option to get around Smoke's cloud, she pretty much struggles quite a lot.

-Kung vs Sareena...hard matchup for Kung since his normal tactic of stay at midscreen and block projectiles doesn't work too well. Of course, dive kick becomes a huge tool when you catch Sareena being greedy with knives.

-Drahmin vs Smoke seems actually more so in Smoke's favor. Outside of wait for it to disappear, Drahmin cannot get around cloud. He absolutely cannot. That, and Smoke has a solid h2h d1 that gets under Drahmin's CS string.

-Drahmin vs Sub is also a match I think Drahmin loses, for the same reasons. Clone keeps Drahmin out. Actually, I think it's worse, because Sub's h2h d1 pushes back on hit and he can clone right after...and Drahmin's CS string has the flaw of being high-high-mid.

There's a bunch more stuff that I can't remember...but as soon as the vids come out, I'll definitely update on this stuff as I remember it. I had so much fun with everyone. From Jago's Sub, to Dan's Tanya, to Arez's Sheeva...all the casual matches we had were absolutely fantastic. :)

Please, anyone who went and played, feel free to comment.

- Ermac is secretly good. Being able to take hella advantage of tele-slam for punishment is scary now. He already could get a lot of unbreakable damage for landing one of them, so offline this character is definitely solid.
Again, i point out the hitboxes that Ermac, Sareena, Khameleon, Jade, and a few others share. These characters are virtually unhittable from up close. Go look at the match between myself and dan in the casuals video. THTB points this match out to me on my channel. And the more i watched it, the more i saw me abusing his hitbox issue. Watch how many times shit goes thru me in that match. This is why ermac is "secretly" good. He has all the space in the world to do whatever he wants. His stances arent half bad either and teleslam is the longest range punisher in the game.

THTB

Yeah, their hitboxes are definitely strange, and I've noticed this so often.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i disagree about drahmin, hes still killer. as the night went on on saturday i remembered to delay my air fairballs to counter side steps with tanya. on and off line tanya is right around 7-10 in the tiers.

next time when we set up a tournament setting for MKA we'll have a better feel for where everyone belongs in the top ten. i dont even think i picked deagon in any recored match. when ever i picked him tho he won.. just saying.

**check ~ in some of those matches i was said to be playing when i wasnt. i recall like 3-4 of them. one that sticks out is a kung lao match, i didnt use him at all. but i dont expect you to remember who was who in all matches you did a great job with remembering who was who overall :)

im about to give up trying to figure out who is who. if ya'll are happy with what it is, then so be it. I can always re-download it from youtube and upload it with new titles. thats why ive pretty much given up on uploading all of it. i spend the majority of the time just trying to figure out it is.... only to get em wrong so far ;/

i did the best i could with them, if some are wrong, then post up which ones you were in/not in and that would help a lot. Im going with what i got though.

and @ Dan - Then somebody was using your profile, i dont know what to say.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
im about to give up trying to figure out who is who. if ya'll are happy with what it is, then so be it. I can always re-download it from youtube and upload it with new titles. thats why ive pretty much given up on uploading all of it. i spend the majority of the time just trying to figure out it is.... only to get em wrong so far ;/

i did the best i could with them, if some are wrong, then post up which ones you were in/not in and that would help a lot. Im going with what i got though.

and @ Dan - Then somebody was using your profile, i dont know what to say.
no dont misunderstand keep doing it how your doing it.. upload them all how you been doing it.. like i said you cant get them all right. your doing a great job thanks :)

RoGE

Noob

You can also use the youtube annotations to correct some mistakes.

THTB

Yeah, luckily YouTube has annotations to cover up some text errors. Either way, keep uploading. Hell, I would've been fine w/o any names. I just wanted to see footage uploaded. That's the most important thing.

Dan...Drahmin struggles vs defensive characters pretty decently. Especially Sub and Smoke...who he can't immediately punish after their clone/cloud moves. Plus crouching lows go under his CS string too easily...something Sub, Smoke, Tanya, Dairou, Ermac, Sareena, etc, all have good variations of. IMO, more of his matchups go closer to even than advantage.

THTB

No...we were playing using the old AC rules we came to agree with a long time ago.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Yeah, luckily YouTube has annotations to cover up some text errors. Either way, keep uploading. Hell, I would've been fine w/o any names. I just wanted to see footage uploaded. That's the most important thing.

Dan...Drahmin struggles vs defensive characters pretty decently. Especially Sub and Smoke...who he can't immediately punish after their clone/cloud moves. Plus crouching lows go under his CS string too easily...something Sub, Smoke, Tanya, Dairou, Ermac, Sareena, etc, all have good variations of. IMO, more of his matchups go closer to even than advantage.
thats crazy saying drahmin struggles vs defense characters. drahmin doesnt have to be upclose to fight. he has a good distance game. his fireball comes out at the average speed. and he has his slam. Drahm is easily better then Tanya, Ermac and smoke. and upclose your fucked with that low poke of his and mix in some mids when you duck.

this is definitely something we will have to money bet on. ill make sure my Drahm, Deagon, Tanya and Mavado are ready next time around. the only one im worried about is Tanya vs sareena.

and FYI am i crazy thinking MKA is way better then MK vs DC? i dont like that MK vs DC is getting respect by the tournament organizers and MKA is ignored. atleast in MKA you can use more then the 2 characters to have a chance to win the tourney.. just saying..

THTB

MKDC is balanced enough for pretty much the top 10 to win, and even then you have non-top 10 characters at least placing well.

Drahmin's slam isn't like Dairou's TSD. Not in the least bit. Anyone with average reactions is jumping, with Kung and Fujin just divekicking you for even bothering. His ball of flies is okay. He really doesn't get much done defensively. And his only actually scary mid is Iron Club b2, but the range is complete ass. Hung Gar b2 is blah...good for poking, but that's about it. Drahmin's only saving grace is he's really safe when blocked, but there's random holes in his moves otherwise.

Roge, I don't remember the exact rules, I just know 2 ACs before relaunch, then I think 2 more are allowed. I just used the 2 ACs then ended.

^^ not true, no character is beating Flash at the highest level. Flash destroys GL. Just look at the amount of holes in those videos from NEC that Flash could of won on. Its not even in the same ballpark.

MKA is a waiting game, not as bad as MKDC, but still bad. Without BDC, MKA is fail.

MKDA is all Bo vs Scorp

MKD is depending on what you consider legit characters anymore. Theres nothing beating Kobra at the highest level either besides jinko etc. Pretty lame, but thats how it goes. MKD ends up being the best i guess between having BDC and Jutsu. Game flows best in MKD.

Midscreen ACs - popup ac ac popup ac combo
Wall ACs - popup ac ac popup ac ac combo (makes more sense then popup, ac, ac, popup ac, ac, popup, ac, ac, combo)

You know after seeing you guys play MKA. I really wish I could have been there and played as well. For me to have zero comp and a lot of play time. I'd really am curious to see where my skill level is in this game.

As I mentioned earlier, I think ACs should be banned period. That's just me. Sounds like they kinda are, so that's cool. And whatever rule u allowed at NEC was playing just for fun anyways.

I natrually think MKA is better between the three 3D MK games u all mentioned earlier (because in my mind I'm treating MKA as a 3d fighting game and NOT traditional MK...which u guys probably do as well. i dunno). I mean that's probably the fanboy in me talking. I'm not a strategist (to focus on one fighting game/series knowing the ins and outs) or anything. I play wayyyyyyyyy too many fighting games to be one. From Tekken 6 to ST, from Mace: The Dark Age to Brawl - , I play em all.

Anyways I love that u guys are going in strong with MK. Mucho respect from me. But in MKIX I plan on making a lot of you very veryyyyy freeeeeee. :D

Especially u Azuro (SRK da bessss :p) cuz u talk a lot of shit. <3

i cannot speak on mka and i did not play mkd but for 2 months so i will not speak on it...

mkda is FAR from bo vs scorp. only time its bo vs scorp is when someone who hasnt played for 10 years playes someone who didnt play the game when it was being played at its competitive level. mkda has a lot of balence and counter matchups. several characters counter brc and scorp, every character has several bad matchups in mkda throught the entire tier list almost.

mkdc u have to pick 2 characters to win a tourney? funny you say that dan because if I was on the "you have to pick flash to win" wagon like the rest of you mk vs dc haters then you wouldnt be saying "you have to pick 1 of 2 characters" because I never would have come up with the 2nd character that you speak of (GL) in the first place!! i would be sitting here complaining like you are dan. if I did like you are doing then you would be saying "you have to pick one character to win a tournament" instead of "2 characters".

mkdc flash near unbeatable? check, no.. just no. come on check, you're smarter then this. flash is beatable by several characters in the top 11. seriously.. do I have to play every character as much as i played GL to show that several characters can fight flash?

what is this guys? the "tom brady, please play the characters i use vs flash and find a way to beat him so then i can see how to fight flash" movement?

dan, do i have to play kitana vs flash 999999999999999999999 times like i did GL to show how she fights him? why cant you do it without saying "flash is too good, only 2 characters win"?

check, i dont even know who your main is but why cant you fight flash 9999999999999999999999999999999 times and find a way to fight him?

i figured out how to fight the character, reo knows how to fight him be it flash mirror or another character that he picks vs flash so how come you guys cant. so... i had to fight flash and lose and lose and lose till i learned how to fight him but no one here can?

flash is not unfair, i cant believe you guys still say this stuff.

moral of the story:

LEARN YO MATCH UPS or...

...die.

I didn't play much MKvDC, but I am curious are there ANY high level Kahn vids. He's my elnigero and I'm curious to he what he's capable of in that game.

I main him in MKA. I have hella fun with him.

1) lol nothing is gonna change my opinion on flash after studying tape... all i do is study tape. its like a second job.

capitilizing on flash mistakes = beating flash. flash makes no misakes = flash wins. simple as that.

2) trust me, im not worried about mkda. my bad, it was wrong of me to say its all bo vs scorp. that wasnt accurate at all. i'd just use scorp vs bo, thats all. i know how to get around stuff. its not hard.

MKD's BDC system is not as good as MKDAs, hence why MKDA is a better game overall. The first frame in which you can BDC in MKD was toned down from MKDA. It was fine the way it is in MKDA. That alone is why MKDA is a better game.

MKA is most similar to MKDC because of lack of spacing with BDC. Its just too lame for me to even care. MKDA FTW.

THTB

Check, that is only factoring in no mistakes. Humans aren't machines that don't make errors. That would be like saying Akuma should be banned from SSFIV because his toolset is absolutely ridiculous, despite his health.

The same thing could be said about any character, also, tbh.

flash has several flaws and there is no way for him to play mistake free and win. vs a character like superman... thats a risk/reward matchup. they both are gonna take risk and who ever makes the best decisions wins.

REO

Undead
1) lol nothing is gonna change my opinion on flash after studying tape... all i do is study tape. its like a second job.

capitilizing on flash mistakes = beating flash. flash makes no misakes = flash wins. simple as that.

2) trust me, im not worried about mkda. my bad, it was wrong of me to say its all bo vs scorp. that wasnt accurate at all. i'd just use scorp vs bo, thats all. i know how to get around stuff. its not hard.

MKD's BDC system is not as good as MKDAs, hence why MKDA is a better game overall. The first frame in which you can BDC in MKD was toned down from MKDA. It was fine the way it is in MKDA. That alone is why MKDA is a better game.

MKA is most similar to MKDC because of lack of spacing with BDC. Its just too lame for me to even care. MKDA FTW.
check make sure you see this thread http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?2260-How-to-fight-against-The-Flash

and anyone else who has questions about the flash, post in there.