What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 Trilogy Edition Mod Discussion (CURRENTLY ON VERSION 2.50)

Would you want classic/legacy music to play by default instead of the modern music?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I remember when I was, to put it very mildly, highly skeptical about possibility of community patch for MK9.
Tbh this is incredible.

Sonya's d4 MS stuff was BS with a +1 MSf1. She initiates offense off a normal that's hard as hell to beat out. On top of this, she had a safe overhead option that lead to a HKD that was almost the same speed as f1. And this isn't factoring in that she can dash cancel MS. It wasn't just f1 that made her good, though it was a chunk.

Considering how everyone is changing, a lot of her changes are necessary. That, and fixing some stuff was impossible due to coding.
As a Sonya main for most of MK9, I'm ok with the nerfs she got. While I'll really miss EX cartwheel and +1 on MSf1, I think she'll still be fine as long as her D4 doesn't also get nerfed or her dive kick nerfs don't go overboard.

I remember when I was, to put it very mildly, highly skeptical about possibility of community patch for MK9.
Tbh this is incredible.
Same here. I thought this project was abandoned a long time ago and I couldn't be more hype about this. Injustice and MKX just don't have that special something that MK9 does for me. We started playing offline again since this news hit and I haven't had this much fighting game fun since MK9 was still relevant.

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
Got me coming out of retirement for this.

Though it might be an impossible task for modders, it would be great to see a change of netcode. Though, I believe that was a massive undertaking even for NRS when they updated MKX.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !

Though it might be an impossible task for modders, it would be great to see a change of netcode. Though, I believe that was a massive undertaking even for NRS when they updated MKX.
not possible lol

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist

There is a little improvment for online play in the works already, but major stuff probably won't happen.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
not possible lol
It is possible to improve the netcode.
It isn't possible to make MK9's netcode be rollback based/GGPO, at least not without the source code or heavy reverse engineering.
So yeah, optimized P2P is as good as it's going to get sadly.

Kaymai

inside of this girl is a beast
It is possible to improve the netcode.
It isn't possible to make MK9's netcode be rollback based/GGPO, at least not without the source code or heavy reverse engineering.
So yeah, optimized P2P is as good as it's going to get sadly.
That's what I figured. I'd be totally down for an MK9 revival at events. This game needs to be the NRS community's Super Turbo.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Playing Jade in 1.85 just now.

I love that you can do 12~Overhead Staff. She truly needed this. But was it also intentional to make the recovery on 12 greater? Now you get next to nothing in the corner off of a Shadow Kick.

EDIT: Saw this...
To prevent the above change from granting Jade a safe jump on hit, recovery frames on hit for 12 have been increased.

If someone wants to hit with 12 then go for a JIP, they just lost damage and wasted an opportunity. She does such low damage as it is, she needs some corner combos back.

NSR

the thing is, Jade has no victimbreakframe var (that is, the recovery for a grounded opponent getting hit by a specific normal) for 12, but she does for 23 (hence why she didn't receive a reaction change there)
That's the problem with Jade 12, if I let her as it is, then it turns into a safe jump on hit and the change may be way too good. It's just how MK9 works, the coding in this game is rather questionable in terms of quality.
I didn't even mention the numerous amount of bugged vars and the workarounds that had to be done to get some balance changes done (like Kitana's damage scalers most infamously)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Messing around with Kitana again....

It is pointless to use fans in combos unless absolutely necessary. She gets more damage without them (2-3% is all). This is blasphemy to the character whose main trait and game plan is to throw fans.

If you want to lower her damage, slightly reduce the damage of her normal attacks she uses most in combos by 1% or 2% at the most (standing 4, f2, standing 2, b2). This will lower her damage overall and keep her fans useful for damage off of stray hits.

Her unbreakable combos are a complete joke now... on par or worse than MKKE Jade-Tier. My main bnb that did 30% before is now 16%.

Swapping her reactions between Cutter and Pretty Kick look completely out of place. Look, I understand wanting to remove the safe jump, but this just doesn't feel right.

You've changed an upper-mid tier character to a low-mid tier character. Her best tools are nerfed.
Her zoning is greatly nerfed with the damage changes where she can only get 13-17% off of stray hits (if I hit with a full screen air fan, I CAN ONLY GET 23% BY USING XRAY! If I use any other fans before xray, it is less than 20%!), and her pressure/meter build is over once she actually hits you because of the changes to the hit reactions of Cutter/Pretty Kick.

I like that she has a mid wakeup with Pretty Kick now, it seems the recovery is increased though.

It's way too much IMO. You want to nerf the bs of the top tiers and give everyone else the tools to compete. All Kitana needs is less frame advantage off of Cutter, more negative off f21, and slightly reduced damage (8-10% at the most). Change nothing else and she'll be fine.

NSR

The kitana dmg has actually been changed around for 2.00 (spoilers!) because working with the scalers is such a pain in the ass (you have to remember that barring 1, all of her regular fan dmg scalers are bugged so you need to reassign them to the 1 that works. EX fan dmg scalers don't suffer from this for some odd reason) and it was a bad idea in the end.

In regard to cutter and pretty kick, well her coding is atrocious. There's only a breakframe for pretty kick (yes, affects hit whiff and block. it's all shared. This is a major issue with MK9's coding) and same thing with cutter (there is a reaction var but it actually affects kitana, NOT the opponent and it affects hit whiff and block anyways)
This is why I changed the reactions because by default, it simply is impossible to change hit adv. without castrating her block and whiff recovery for cutter and in the case of pretty kick, overbuffing her recovery on whiff and block.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Messing around with Kitana again....

It is pointless to use fans in combos unless absolutely necessary. She gets more damage without them (2-3% is all). This is blasphemy to the character whose main trait and game plan is to throw fans.

If you want to lower her damage, slightly reduce the damage of her normal attacks she uses most in combos by 1% or 2% at the most (standing 4, f2, standing 2, b2). This will lower her damage overall and keep her fans useful for damage off of stray hits.

Her unbreakable combos are a complete joke now... on par or worse than MKKE Jade-Tier. My main bnb that did 30% before is now 16%.

Swapping her reactions between Cutter and Pretty Kick look completely out of place. Look, I understand wanting to remove the safe jump, but this just doesn't feel right.

You've changed an upper-mid tier character to a low-mid tier character. Her best tools are nerfed.
Her zoning is greatly nerfed with the damage changes where she can only get 13-17% off of stray hits (if I hit with a full screen air fan, I CAN ONLY GET 23% BY USING XRAY! If I use any other fans before xray, it is less than 20%!), and her pressure/meter build is over once she actually hits you because of the changes to the hit reactions of Cutter/Pretty Kick.

I like that she has a mid wakeup with Pretty Kick now, it seems the recovery is increased though.

It's way too much IMO. You want to nerf the bs of the top tiers and give everyone else the tools to compete. All Kitana needs is less frame advantage off of Cutter, more negative off f21, and slightly reduced damage (8-10% at the most). Change nothing else and she'll be fine.
Can we wait for version 2.00 before complaining? What's the point in doing so now?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Can we wait for version 2.00 before complaining? What's the point in doing so now?
I agree completely, but I haven't played this hack much and wanted my input to be heard.

EDIT: Also, I know all too well all of the countless hours he has put into learning how to modify this game and how difficult it is. @NSR, I don't want you to think I don't appreciate all of your hard work. I'm very excited for a revitalization of MK9 as it is one of my favorite games of all time. Something like this needs to be done right. I don't know if it is possible with this game (I'm sure it is), but with the older game hacks, it is possible to add completely new attributes to the moves utilizing unused space in the game ROMs. Perhaps this is the key to the problems you are currently having with fixing/changing some move properties.

Last edited:

NSR

MK9 isn't like an oldschool game, shit is hardcoded and there's so much we simply don't know how to do, unless we either have the source code or do some heavy reverse engineering. It's not a space issue. There are also other numerous issues with MK9 like bugged vars, disorganized vars, misnamed vars, limited vars (you can only add like say 5 frames of reco. to a certain move for example) etc.
And I'm not skilled at coding, like at all. I'm tweaking stuff and trying to balance as best as I can.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Watching what other characters are capable of now with Kitana's nerfs, it is disgusting. Things need to be reveted. (granted, older verison, still some things remain)

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Watching what other characters are capable of now with Kitana's nerfs, it is disgusting. Things need to be reveted. (granted, older verison, still some things remain)

That's version 1.00. Almost all of those changes got reverted.

Again, let's wait for version 2.00 before complaining.

NSR

Dude, that is an extremely outdated version. So outdated, that almost nothing of it remains in 2.00 and 1.85. Please look at the front page of this thread and read the changelist.

Another thing, I just said earlier Kitana's dmg is being addressed differently in 2.00, I already understood first time around. And finally: 2.00 WILL NOT be the last patch. So if the dmg is still bad for some reason, there's always a way to fix it. SO CALM DOWN. I understand your concerns.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Thank you for the update and I apologize if I came across as rude and unappreciative, that was not my intention. I'm passionate about MK9 and am excited for this release. I know you have spent literally years learning how to mod this game. Thank you.

Literally because of the upcoming release, I am having casuals at my house this upcoming weekend to play 1.85. Hopefully by that time 2.0 will be released <3

NSR

Thank you for the update and I apologize if I came across as rude and unappreciative, that was not my intention. I'm passionate about MK9 and am excited for this release. I know you have spent literally years learning how to mod this game. Thank you.

Literally because of the upcoming release, I am having casuals at my house this upcoming weekend to play 1.85. Hopefully by that time 2.0 will be released <3
No problem and I appreciate your concern, I just don't want anyone to panic and go "OMG YOU MURDERED MY MAIN FOREVER DIEDIEDIE" The idea is to make everyone fair and equal as much as possible (given MK9's rather questionable coding quality as I've stated on numerous ocassions) not to overbuff or overnerf chars. It's a complicated and time consuming process but I hope people bear with me and be patient.

Also, you are welcome!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You have to remember, a ton of characters are getting serious drops in power all around, too. And there are gonna be tons of changes from 1.85 to 2.00. There will be characters that lose a ton it seems, but will make sense when you see how everyone else looks, too.