What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 is now backwards compatible on Xbox!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
For anyone who may be interested, Mortal Kombat 9 is now backwards compatible on Xbox! It requires a 7GB update to work, but I've been playing this shit all night on my Series X. Oddly enough, you can still connect to people in ranked, but the game doesn't let you start the match. I knew the servers were no longer up, but I gave it a shot anyway.

You have to already own the game to play it, though. There's currently no way to purchase the game digitally.

Also....MK vs DC is also backwards compatible now.....:rolleyes:

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
shut the front door! and of course we can't exactly go buy these in stores. and I was going to get a PS5. Hopefully they make it backwards compatible for it too. But I don't think they let you play PS3 games on it. I mean I think it is on PS NOw but ugh....

John Grizzly

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
shut the front door! and of course we can't exactly go buy these in stores. and I was going to get a PS5. Hopefully they make it backwards compatible for it too. But I don't think they let you play PS3 games on it. I mean I think it is on PS NOw but ugh....
PS Now is absolute cheeks.

As far as buying a copy, they're still fairly cheap online:

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition- Xbox 360 (Refurbished) - Walmart.com
No buy it digitally. My Komplete Edition asked for a Kombat Pass to play online for some reason when my digital one did not.

For anyone who may be interested, Mortal Kombat 9 is now backwards compatible on Xbox! It requires a 7GB update to work, but I've been playing this shit all night on my Series X. Oddly enough, you can still connect to people in ranked, but the game doesn't let you start the match. I knew the servers were no longer up, but I gave it a shot anyway.

You have to already own the game to play it, though. There's currently no way to purchase the game digitally.

Also....MK vs DC is also backwards compatible now.....:rolleyes:
I heard about this earlier, fantastic news! I have the original disc, and I bought the Kombat Pack and Klassic Kostume Pack. Will the DLC install automatically as well, do you know? Overall, what's the install size of the game?

Sadly, Sony's never been very good with backwards compatibility.

John Grizzly

I heard about this earlier, fantastic news! I have the original disc, and I bought the Kombat Pack and Klassic Kostume Pack. Will the DLC install automatically as well, do you know? Overall, what's the install size of the game?
So....this was a strange experience as far as installing the game. I installed it but for some reason it didn't transfer my save or install any of the DLC I had previously purchased. I had to select "view in Microsoft store" and then all my content I had purchased was there. Once I installed that, I was good to go. By the way, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see your content.

So...because of the save not transferring, I didn't have Quan Chi, for example. However, when I look at my online stats in-game, it still shows my old win/loss record from years ago. Very odd.

I have no issue just unlocking everything all over again that's in-game, though.

So....this was a strange experience as far as installing the game. I installed it but for some reason it didn't transfer my save or install any of the DLC I had previously purchased. I had to select "view in Microsoft store" and then all my content I had purchased was there. Once I installed that, I was good to go. By the way, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see your content.

So...because of the save not transferring, I didn't have Quan Chi, for example. However, when I look at my online stats in-game, it still shows my old win/loss record from years ago. Very odd.

I have no issue just unlocking everything all over again that's in-game, though.
That is odd. I have a save file in the cloud from my Xbox 360 days, so I'd assume it'd snag that. Did you also have a file specifically in the cloud? You had to manually select or back it up there at the time.

If not, and you were relying on the traditional Xbox 360 HDD, then I can understand why your content and unlocks would not have carried over.

John Grizzly

That is odd. I have a save file in the cloud from my Xbox 360 days, so I'd assume it'd snag that. Did you also have a file specifically in the cloud? You had to manually select or back it up there at the time.

If not, and you were relying on the traditional Xbox 360 HDD, then I can understand why your content and unlocks would not have carried over.
I had a cloud save but it didn't prompt me to load it like it used to on my Xbox One for BC games. I wasn't able to get it loaded. Not a big deal. I don't mind playing the game through again. I was more concerned about getting all my DLC moved over, which I did.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I had a cloud save but it didn't prompt me to load it like it used to on my Xbox One for BC games. I wasn't able to get it loaded. Not a big deal. I don't mind playing the game through again. I was more concerned about getting all my DLC moved over, which I did.
Personally, I’m kinda pissed about not having my save because no Flesh Pits Mileena because of Tower Challenges & all my character mastery stats didn’t come over but I already got this baby :d so I probably shouldn’t care anymore.

So outside of Quan Chi and Cyber Sub-Zero being locked, what else would be missing? I'm guessing that's the biggest issue, mostly.

Personally, I’m kinda pissed about not having my save because no Flesh Pits Mileena because of Tower Challenges & all my character mastery stats didn’t come over but I already got this baby :d so I probably shouldn’t care anymore.

View attachment 18455
Same, I got it too back in the day. I also loved the Challenge Tower, but was never a fan of the Flesh Pits skin, and I'm a Mileena main.

It’s her best skin, it makes her hurtbox tiny. I think some tournaments even banned it. That & the MK3 Cyrax skin are considered cheap.
I actually didn't know that about that skin. Still don't care for the look of it though.