What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 (Home Console) Arcade Cabinet Build

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
So I have finally decided to start on what I should have started years ago....a "dedicated" MK9/Home Console MK arcade cabinet. I will be using an actual arcade monitor instead of an LCD with a "fat" PS3 on a shelf behind to the coin door to run the different games. It will be a pretty easy build, assuming I can find a cabinet locally. Otherwise I'll have to build one from scratch and that's something that I don't really want to be forced to do. I'll most likely just rob all the parts/guts from a couple of the MK fight sticks and install them in the cab's control panel instead of hacking the regular PS3 controllers. Stay tuned for updates. Until then, here is a video of the basic monitor setup...(I suggest selecting 1080p)

YourMKArcadeSource

I found a cabinet locally for this project and will be picking it up on Saturday. It's an MK4 that has been fully converted to UMK3 and has also been in my possession in the past. There is a backstory to it that I'll talk about when I get it so stay tuned.

After I get everything installed and wired up, all that will be left is designing some artwork, which I'm slowly getting done. Any of you guys handy with photoshop?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Possible artwork...Opinions?

Looks amazing! Only thing I would say is that the "High Punch" should be "Back Punch" and "Low Punch" should be "Front Punch". Same with the kicks. Also, the font doesn't look like an MK font. I would use something that MK has used in the past.

YourMKArcadeSource

Looks amazing! Only thing I would say is that the "High Punch" should be "Back Punch" and "Low Punch" should be "Front Punch". Same with the kicks. Also, the font doesn't look like an MK font. I would use something that MK has used in the past.
Yeah. I'll see about changing the CP botton texts but this is my other idea on the CP front...

YourMKArcadeSource

Spent some time working on the side art this morning. The full-res images were emailed to me last night. I didn't like how the top corner was missing the "Dragon Logo." All the other MK cabs have the logo so I layered the image in Photoshop to add the logo. Here are the final images. I'll spend some time tonight working on a control panel image...

YourMKArcadeSource

Project cabinet has arrived, ready for gutting and re-configuration. This cabinet was a dedicated MK4 that I converted to an MK3 so I could have all 5 MK cabs (MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK3 and MK4). I was running low on room at the house so I combined MK3 into UMK3 for a 2-in-1 setup and sold this cabinet locally.

A week or so ago, I saw the guy I sold it to was selling it and I decided to buy it back from him. So here it is...

And, based on feedback from Facebook, this is the marquee design I'll be going with. I will be printing both this one and the original just so I can see how they both look compared with the rest of the art on the machine when it's all installed. Still working on a control panel but credit for the marquee goes to Mr. Victor Cabrera...

Spent some time and slaved in everything for a test run. Here is Trilogy running on the cab...

I was able to get both MK sticks dismantled and all the wiring/components changed over the the cabinet. The controls are all wired up and work great. I need to solder some wires onto the pads for the PS button and the other L/R buttons, but that will be done later.

Stay tuned...

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Possible artwork...Opinions?

The official layout of MK9 is:

Code:
(FP) ----- (BP)
---- (Blk) ----
(FK) ----- (BK)

FP = Front Punch
FK = Front Kick
BP = Back Punch
BK = Back Kick
Blk = Block
It's a bit off from traditional 2D MK games. Someone like me who has played MK9 since 2011 would have a difficult time adjusting to having the punches on the left and kicks on the right like they are in MK1-4.

YourMKArcadeSource

Ok. A few more hours of Photoshop labor later and this is what I have. I am officially going with this for the CPO, so let the naysayers say "nay." The version with the button holes is just for reference. I'll only be printing the one without the holes and decide on a proper layout later. Thoughts? Opinions? All are welcome. Artwork will be taken to the printer tomorrow!

YourMKArcadeSource

@YourMKArcadeSource Its just me, I like simplistic designs! If you look at all MK layouts ever to be released, they are all simplistic and don't have too much to it.

Ya know?
Oh, I totally understand. I was just wanting something cool. I see now throwing all those renders in might have been too over the top, but nothing is set in stone yet. I can make changes but I was planning on getting everything off to the printer tomorrow so I can get this project done in a timely manner. I have to install all the artwork while the cab is in the garage for space concerns which means I can't get to installing and mounting everything inside it until I get the artwork applied and bring the cab in the house.

YourMKArcadeSource

Spent some time today working on the cab. Got the MK3 art stripped off, problem areas sanded and painted the cab with a gloss black to ensure maximum new side art adhesion. You'll notice that the top half of the left hand side art is bubbling and not sticking very well. That's because of two reasons. 1) It's from GOG. 2) Before I applied it, I tried removing the MK4 side art and it proved to be so much trouble, that I abandoned it and the MK3 side art didn't stick to the bare wood at all. That's why I'm painting the cabinet this time before applying the new MK9 side art. Anyway, here are the pics. Stay tuned. The art should be ready in a few days....