What's new

Mortal Kombat (2021) Movie Discussion Thread

Zviko

Noob
Hugo Martin, the game director for the DOOM franchise, has been doing a live stream weekly playing through all of DOOM Eternal and explaining some of the design decisions and elements as he goes. It's been very interesting to watch.

The first 45 minutes or so of the stream though, he and the ID community manager nerd out and take about really cool stuff. Last week, they talked about Mortal Kombat.

Hugo loved the film, thought it was a fantastic B film with excellent CG. He loved the Scorpion and Sub-Zero fights. His critiques were the overall fight choreography could have been tighter, Cole was not so great, and he really wanted more "impact" sounds for hits.

You can watch the stream here. He starts talking about the movie at 25:25.
Thanks! I'm definitely gonna watch that but not for MK stuff. :D

Spoobs

Noob
I only watched it once but i swear to god did a character actually say

"HE'S GETTING HIS SOUL SUCKED!"

Or am i misremembering because that popped in my head today and I fucking busted out laughing
My friend and I have been quoting this since the moment we saw it. I'm so glad others enjoyed it as much. It's up there with the way Michael Douglas says "She went subatomic." In Ant-Man.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Something else I didn't like... When scorpion came back from the dead and fought sub zero I think they should've left Cole out of it. What perfect way for Scorpion to redeem himself in a FAIR fight?! But no Cole just had to be there lol...I think it woulda been more hype if scorpion defeated sub 1 on 1 and that's the perfect setup for noob saibot return in the future I think it went downhill after they jumped Sub-Zero.

C-Sword

Noob
I'm fine with Reiko and Nitara being jobbers, but Goro and Mileena? Poor casting choices, especially for Raiden and Shang Tsung. Cole Young was unnecessary. Making a Mortal Kombat movie without Johnny Cage is like making a Street fighter movie without Guile, he may not be the main character, but he's still iconic.

The fanservice moments are the only reasons why this movie isn't complete trash.

It. uh, sure was a movie. I can say that much. Wonder if we'll get stages based on the movie in future games like Sonya's trailer park or Goro's meth farm. Pretty bold to have the main character be the Kreate-A-Fighter from Armageddon. Curious to see if they have an actual tournament in the next one or push it back again for the third movie.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
All the performances were good except Ludi Lin (Kang) -who had the weirdest lines ever so I'm not ready to say it was the actor's fault. Josh Lawson stole the show. Max Huang was also great as Lao and their scene at the dinner table was the movies best non-fighting moment.
Am I the only one who LOVED Ludi Lin's Liu Kang? I loved how extra he was, his movements, flipping his sash around, how humble yet arrogant he was. I thought it was awesome and a great way to make Kang unique.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I'm not convinced movie Sonya is actually special forces. Based on the movie, I believe she's a maniac who attacks anyone who wanders onto her property.

She has Kano shackled, but what for? She seems totally fine with him leaving, and is even ok with him tagging along. So, either he didn't do anything too bad and she shackled him anyway, or he did some heinous act that warranted the shackling, and she was just like "fuck it". I imagine he got drunk and wandered onto her property and like all those other drifters, she assaulted him and locked him up in her torture barn.
To be fair, once you’re attacked by a mini godzilla, regular real life problems don’t seem as big. If that’s what I was up against, all my enemies would become my friends until we dealt with it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Oh yeah, and inb4 Ed Boon calls meter “arcana” in the next MK game. Obviously it applies to their “special moves”, but still, I’m calling it now.

Side note. I was 100% hoping Kano’s ability in the movie was gonna be his Kano ball. That would have been so fucking funny to see them try and make that not look ridiculous lmao

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Oh yeah, and inb4 Ed Boon calls meter “arcana” in the next MK game. Obviously it applies to their “special moves”, but still, I’m calling it now.

Side note. I was 100% hoping Kano’s ability in the movie was gonna be his Kano ball. That would have been so fucking funny to see them try and make that not look ridiculous lmao
I was trying to find a clip or gif, but in Invincible the rock dude, Titan, does a flying ball attack at least once and they manage to make it look pretty effective. But I imagine that would only work for Kano if they established that he was a heavy cyborg and not just an angry dude with an eye laser.

Art Lean

Noob
FYI, it’s AT LAST out to rent for streaming in the UK off Amazon.co.uk (at £15.99, wow, that’s more than an HD purchase!).

Though I expect 2 weeks of it being available on various unlawful streaming sites will have taken a lot of the early UK streaming views away from it. Should have been there on release date :coffee:

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I didn't even notice my first time watching that Cole's Arcana came from a friendship bracelet he had for less than 24 hours. Its unfathomable how badly they botched this character.

Also watched a podcast where they talked about how they also thought the daughter was his sister because Cole looks so young. So when "Mom" came over and he stood up and kissed her on the mouth they were shocked lmao

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I think this movie shows us that Mortal Kombat is back as an IP. This movie was so much fun. I wish they did mroe of the characters movies and do feel some of the CGI was bad. I do like the story and how it was told. The powers and how they learn them is amazing. My favorite part of this film has to be the costume designs. They did a good job mirroring a lot of characters. This goes for how a lot of characters acted too besides just Kano. I hope new guy gets better though. He was meh.

8 out of 10

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I didn't even notice my first time watching that Cole's Arcana came from a friendship bracelet he had for less than 24 hours. Its unfathomable how badly they botched this character.

Also watched a podcast where they talked about how they also thought the daughter was his sister because Cole looks so young. So when "Mom" came over and he stood up and kissed her on the mouth they were shocked lmao
That was my exact reaction. My brother thought the same as well. I thought it was his little sister, and literally had the same reaction when he kissed “mom”. Neither one of them looked old enough to have a daughter that age. But the Mom is 33 and Cole is 34, and daughter is 14, so it checks out. It’s just they both look like they are 10 years younger than they are.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I assume Cole was added because they wanted an audience surrogate character, someone to try and walk the audience into and through the MK universe. Especially if they're thinking this is going to be the start of a franchise as opposed to just a stand alone movie. That seems to be the current model right now for studios.
While I assume you’re right about the “surrogate “ reason, we’ve seen that franchises don’t need one.
Iron Man kicked off the Avengers phase of the most successful franchise in recent history, and Tony Stark was hardly an audience surrogate.