What's new

Mortal Kombat 11? Or more like Injustice 3? Podcast Discussion!

Based on what you have watched, what do you think about the game's pace?

• It's too fast.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • It's about right.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • It's too slow.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I need to play the game before I decide.

Votes: 42 61.8%

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Hello, everyone. On this episode of the podcast, REO, Zyphox and I invite Forever King and Tom Brady to discuss Mortal Kombat 11's gameplay mechanics and characters as well as theories as to how the game may play at high level. We also address comparisons to Injustice and concerns about the game's perceived slow gameplay.

Time stamps are listed in the video description.

Any feedback, comments, and/or questions are welcome.

Also please vote in the poll. Thank you.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
It's about right, however, there's one thing I'd like to see be tweaked a bit.
I wish the walk speed and dashing would be just a tad faster, maybe have the dashes go a bit further, and the jumps less floaty. I'm aware the devs wants the game to be a bit slower and more strategic, and I'm completely alright with that, but as it is now it looks a bit too slow when it comes to movement.

The speed of the battle, as soon the characters attack and do combos, looks good though!

Ger187

Noob
It's about right, however, there's one thing I'd like to see be tweaked a bit.
I wish the walk speed and dashing would be just a tad faster, maybe have the dashes go a bit further, and the jumps less floaty. I'm aware the devs wants the game to be a bit slower and more strategic, and I'm completely alright with that, but as it is now it looks a bit too slow when it comes to movement.

The speed of the battle, as soon the characters attack and do combos, looks good though!
Same here

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
If people don't want to go to YouTube just to get the time stamp then here they are:
00:49 - Initial Impressions on MK11
14:41 - Why does the NRS community hate footsies?
20:08 - MK11 New Gameplay Mechanics Thoughts
30:44 - Meter System Discussion
43:20 - New Characters Thoughts
52:14 - Is Mortal Kombat 11 going down the right path? Or is it really Injustice 3?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
great stuff ! very good video analysis and opinions coming of these great MK pro players !! MK 11 will be the best MK game ever, both regarding competitive and fun/entertainment aspects .... it's only a matter of people be open mind regarding the new gameplay and mechanics proposals .... the game looks fantastic already , cannot wait for the official release in April 23th !! :cool:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I listened the podcast twice and i agree with the majority except that King's saying amplify should still be with block button.

Just want to add on the meter system according to recent Derek and Paulo's interviews the stronger an amplified move is, the slower it takes for the bar to return.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't see why people think the game is basically Injustice 3. There are no groundbounces, wallbounces, screen-space isn't as big, dashes aren't as good, no transitions, meter works completely differently, super moves are a rage mechanics now, and Krushing Blows, short hopping, and Flawless Block are things now.

Plus I think the way MK11 characters are going to be designed will be different in comparison to Injustice 2. I think we are going to get more characters with slides, dash specials, and/or teleports because, well, a lot of MK characters have those things.

Sure there are some things that are like Injustice 2, some the sounds, the fact that NJPs don't launch, etc. But to be fair, Mortal Kombat X had some similarities to Injustice 1. They brought in the interactable system, instead of clash dialogue they retooled it to intro dialogue, and so on.

This game is like MK2, MK9, INJ2, Tekken 7, and SoulCalibur 6 mixed together with a couple unique things sprinkled on top. It looks like it's own game. It looks like Mortal Kombat 11.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think it's about right.

If they do improve the movement I hope they try not to go overboard. It's doesn't need to be mk9 fast or mkxl but in-between what it is now and mk9 I guess would be universally ok.

I'm more interested to know if they plan on doing a detailed tutorials like in I2 but also catering to the more experienced player as well.

Loved the podcast tho. I wish those that went had more time with the game under more comfortable surroundings.

I'm dying for pics of the character lists and menus.

Thanks for the podcasts.

E

Eldriken

I listened the podcast twice and i agree with the majority except that King's saying amplify should still be with block button.

Just want to add on the meter system according to recent Derek and Paulo's interviews the stronger an amplified move is, the slower it takes for the bar to return.
A perfect example of move usage determining refill rates is to watch UltraDavid's 20 minute Geras video. He uses his time reversal move and the defensive bars fill up super slow. Rightfully so, however.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Everyone mentions MK9, but almost no one brings up that the pace of this game and the style of netural actually seems far closer to MK2 than MK9.
Yes I noticed this myself, even 16-bit said that the game is gonna heavily be around walking and even the dashes are not that fast. It's definitely resembles MK1 and MK2 more. And yes it is more similar to MK9 then MKX for sure, but MK1 & 2 are the ones the game truly resembles.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Everyone mentions MK9, but almost no one brings up that the pace of this game and the style of netural actually seems far closer to MK2 than MK9.
Holy shit, you're right.
I'd personally like to see run come back or faster dashes, but if the devs want another route for the game, I've got no problems. I like what I see for now. And it looks nothing like Injustice. Just stop.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I like how people never played the game, but already made up their minds :DOGE
I remember playing IGAU for the first time. It was sooo slooow. But then I started playing Doomsday.

Aramonde

Noob
I don't see why people think the game is basically Injustice 3. There are no groundbounces, wallbounces, screen-space isn't as big, dashes aren't as good, no transitions, meter works completely differently, super moves are a rage mechanics now, and Krushing Blows, short hopping, and Flawless Block are things now.
People are saying its Inj3 because they think it's going to be a super zoning heavy game.

Great podcast guys. You guys changed my mind on some things, specifically the auto refilling bars.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
If it's as bad as it's been painted to be (things rarely are), then I'd like a tiny walk speed buff. But I'd rather just wait til I get my hands on it. Hard to judge it from videos as walk speed is something that only comes across as a "feeling" in my experience.

trufenix

bye felicia
If only i2's second year could've known a fraction of the community concern and scrutiny being thrown at one pseudo-days worth of mk11 footage and intrigue.