What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Kombat League (Rant)

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Hey Guys,

Not trying to spread any negativity but I really need to get this out there because I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. My Rant is aimed towards 3 different aspects of Kombat League that I ABSOLUTELY hate. Now before I get into it, I want to give you a little background on my life so you can see why I hate these features so much. I'm a 27 year old guy that has 2 jobs, works roughly 70+ hours a week AND consistently go to the gym as I feel taking care of your body is EXTREMELY important to living a long, healthy life. So game time to me is basically Friday and IF I GET LUCKY, Saturday and Sunday nights. This time is precious to me as I basically have a limited amount of time to choose what games I want to play. Now I gravitate toward MK11 because it's the newest competitive fighter. With that being said, heres my rant.

First, the match-up system. Now the hierarchy of the ranks is hella simple. However, we are at a point in this game where most of the people playing Kombat League are decent to high level players. This becomes obnoxious when you start playing people 1 to 2 ranks below you who are good and are put in a no risk, high reward MU vs you which leads me into my next issue.

The point system. The point system is hella inconsistent. How is it that I can play someone the same rank as me and some times get only 40 points if I win, and other times get 60 (while I have a 0 game win streak...). Then I consistently get pitted against people who are 1 to 2 ranks lower then me, have a high percentage chance of beating me (according to the win/loss percentage), then beat me and I lose 100-150 points and if i win, I get like 10-20 points...

My final issue is the point decay. Kombat League seasons last 30 days. So I can only play realistically 4 days of that if I can't get on during Saturdays and sundays and I have a life so I'm not devoting every Friday to games. With that being said, the point decay is HELLA unfair because of all the above I just mentioned. I was literally 125 points away from a Demigod, couldn't play for a week (I work in the hospital system so hours are wacky) and came back to see that I lost 200 points. Played 2 games vs 2 masters, barely lost twice now I lost another 300 points...

Like I'm sorry, but does NRS think people have no lives? I literally wake up, get ready for work, leave for work, work, then leave work to go to the gym and go home and go to bed. Rinse and repeat the whole week.

Not going to lie, this has me HELLA heated.

What are your thoughts?

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
The rewards aren't worth it anyway. I imagine since you work a lot, you probably only main one character, and so on any given weak there's a small chance that KL even matters.
I really want the Cassie Cage reward lol I generally don't play KL that often but seeing this decay shit is salt inducing!!!!!

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Decay is bunk for sure.

And points lost for losing to players two ranks below you on a 20 game win streak needs to get adjusted lolol, def tilts me
Facts, that's happened to me before too. I was about to rank up to GM then I played a kombatant and he obliterated me with NW...

Point decay made sense in Warcraft 3 where a ladder season would last a year or half a year until the finals at Blizzcon, so the top players had to consistently show that they deserve where they are.
What's the fucking point in a league that lasts 30 days though and doesn't invite you to a global world final with hundreds of thousand bucks on the line?

Seriously if somebody makes rank one elder god in 5 days, then just let them chill there. What the hell? Shit get's reset at the end of the month anyways.
You get fucking costumes for that shit and you get them regardless of how far you fall due to inactivity. What the fuck?

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Point decay made sense in Warcraft 3 where a ladder season would last a year or half a year until the finals at Blizzcon, so the top players had to consistently show that they deserve where they are.
What's the fucking point in a league that lasts 30 days though and doesn't invite you to a global world final with hundreds of thousand bucks on the line?

Seriously if somebody makes rank one elder god in 5 days, then just let them chill there. What the hell? Shit get's reset at the end of the month anyways.
You get fucking costumes for that shit and you get them regardless of how far you fall due to inactivity. What the fuck?
That's what I'm saying! It's stupid

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
My biggest gripe is the reward system. I still think all rewards should be given for playing the league, not based on the rank you are. God forbid the next seasons have Shao Kahn gear in god/elder god ranks. I'm not that good to make those ranks and I'll be mad as hell if I can't get those rewards.

DeftMonk

Noob
The win chance percentage I’m assuming is based off ur actually ranked mode rank which KL apparently affects. I do kinda agree if some fool is like #6 in the world and beats you, your rank shouldn’t plummet 100 some odd points. A couple of times my Internet was real laggy when I tried to access KL leaderboards and instead it showed me the current rank mode leaderboard. Happened to me two days in a row and I was a different rank. So somethin is going on under the hood of KL that involves regular ranked mode.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
My biggest gripe is the reward system. I still think all rewards should be given for playing the league, not based on the rank you are. God forbid the next seasons have Shao Kahn gear in god/elder god ranks. I'm not that good to make those ranks and I'll be mad as hell if I can't get those rewards.
I only participate if theres a Cassie reward like this season I had to make it to Demigod to get her skin. It wouldn't be so hard if there wasn't a flawed point system and point decay. I lost almost a 1000 points in point decay this season alone. That's a whole rank lol

Agilaz

It has begun
KL is a good idea with terrible execution. Point decay sucks, matchmaking is terrible (inb4 people still want to pretend that you should always be beating lower ranked players, conveniently forgetting that some very skilled players just start very late or play on hideys like BITCHES) and generally it creates so much additional stress, to the point that the game just isn't fun anymore.

About 90% of matches are against the same 6-7 characters and people are going out of their way to play as obnoxiously as possible. KL makes it so you do worse the better you understand the game, because no good player would do something so stupid as, say, d1xSpin on BLOCK as Kung Lao, yet that is EXACTLY what you run into.

As time goes on and people drop the game, the ranks mean less and less too. In terms of effort, Demi God now is a similar level to S1 and S2 Elder God. Once you get to GM/DG, you WILL start running into a lot more pro players than before. The only difference now between DG and God/E. God, is how much time you're willing to invest.

IMO, the gear pieces usually aren't worth the stress. I'm pretty much set on making DG for every season now and then I'll just drop KL cause fuck everything about it.

Also, knowing WB, there's gonna be a point where they push NRS to monetize the prizes anyway.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
KL is a good idea with terrible execution. Point decay sucks, matchmaking is terrible (inb4 people still want to pretend that you should always be beating lower ranked players, conveniently forgetting that some very skilled players just start very late or play on hideys like BITCHES) and generally it creates so much additional stress, to the point that the game just isn't fun anymore.

About 90% of matches are against the same 6-7 characters and people are going out of their way to play as obnoxiously as possible. KL makes it so you do worse the better you understand the game, because no good player would do something so stupid as, say, d1xSpin on BLOCK as Kung Lao, yet that is EXACTLY what you run into.

As time goes on and people drop the game, the ranks mean less and less too. In terms of effort, Demi God now is a similar level to S1 and S2 Elder God. Once you get to GM/DG, you WILL start running into a lot more pro players than before. The only difference now between DG and God/E. God, is how much time you're willing to invest.

IMO, the gear pieces usually aren't worth the stress. I'm pretty much set on making DG for every season now and then I'll just drop KL cause fuck everything about it.

Also, knowing WB, there's gonna be a point where they push NRS to monetize the prizes anyway.
I agree with pretty much EVERYTHING you just said. I, myself, have caught myself playing hella obnoxious last night just to get the demigod rank. Playing obnoxious unfortunately gets you leveled up quicker as I noticed and then when you hit players with considerable skill, you take an L before you get off autopilot and start playing for real.

It is simple. The game needs to implement a (hidden) MMR system. So everyone can start the new season where he belongs.

Now you can get to Elder God, maybe even God, who knows, by grinding as much matches as you can. That is because you gain more points if you win than that you lose points if you lose. 50 games where you lose 20 points and 50 games where you win 30 points is still +500 points. The more you play, the more you can climb in theory. But it doesn't mean you got better.

In a MMR system the amount of points you win or lose should be more even because you wont face late starters in warrior with a 24-3 record for example and vise versa. Win more, get up in ranks. Lose more, you lose ranks. It is just that simple.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I wish I could still play ranked despite KL being active, I hate KL for several reasons, and see it active constantly it's annoying consider I don't want to play it

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
As someone with similar, but not as bad, time constraints I agree with a lot of this. The only reason I'm not on here ranting about kombat league is that the rewards I want have always been on like warrior or champion. So I can just afk with a turbo controller hitting accept and get most of the way there haha. Failing upwards is very funny to me, and makes half the ranks a total joke.

I strongly agree that decay in a month long "league" is ridiculous, and like others have said if you get the reward based on your highest placing then the decay is just mean and serves no competitive purpose. I wonder if NRS did enough research before designing the kombat league.

Why is it not always blind pick and/or picking a character before search? It's 2/3 and it just wastes time for everyone to try their terrible counter pick. I really wonder if NRS did enough research before designing the kombat league.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
As someone with similar, but not as bad, time constraints I agree with a lot of this. The only reason I'm not on here ranting about kombat league is that the rewards I want have always been on like warrior or champion. So I can just afk with a turbo controller hitting accept and get most of the way there haha. Failing upwards is very funny to me, and makes half the ranks a total joke.

I strongly agree that decay in a month long "league" is ridiculous, and like others have said if you get the reward based on your highest placing then the decay is just mean and serves no competitive purpose. I wonder if NRS did enough research before designing the kombat league.

Why is it not always blind pick and/or picking a character before search? It's 2/3 and it just wastes time for everyone to try their terrible counter pick. I really wonder if NRS did enough research before designing the kombat league.
Yeah I generally just do player match but when I saw the Cassie skin I knew I needed it lol

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Just stop with the -100/+5 sets. Those suck. It's a waste of my time. You lose so much for losing and get next to nothing for winning. Add the fact that some top players who are actually elder god rank wait until the last three days to climb and get to screw you out of your points and yeah it is a bit maddening.

I get losing more points to people lower ranked than you but damn NRS, at least make it worth my time and give me like 20 or 30 points if I survive lol

Also, how about NOT putting those matches back to back? It's so fun when you are like 7 points away from your season goal then get two -100 sets in a row. Super fun when that happens.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Just stop with the -100/+5 sets. Those suck. It's a waste of my time. You lose so much for losing and get next to nothing for winning. Add the fact that some top players who are actually elder god rank wait until the last three days to climb and get to screw you out of your points and yeah it is a bit maddening.

I get losing more points to people lower ranked than you but damn NRS, at least make it worth my time and give me like 20 or 30 points if I survive lol

Also, how about NOT putting those matches back to back? It's so fun when you are like 7 points away from your season goal then get two -100 sets in a row. Super fun when that happens.

That happened to to me on multiple occasions. Twice that I can think of that I was on the Verge of Demigod hood and was pitted against 2 champions that were rocking prepatched erron black. I was SUPER salty