What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Has A Way To Buy Cosmetic Items With Real Money

Lun

proud TERF!
So, everything that can be bought with money can also, alternatively, be unlocked over time in the Krypt?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
So, everything that can be bought with money can also, alternatively, be unlocked over time in the Krypt?
The time krystals are the alternative. But yes, you don't have to buy them at all. If you got time to grind for koins and go through the Krypt, you can unlock everything without spending a single dime on time krystals.

Xelz

Go over there!
As others have stated, the only potential problem is if it takes near forever to unlock cosmetics through gameplay.

I remember when Ubisoft said everything in For Honor could be unlocked through gameplay, then some fan found it’d take years' worth of in-game hours to unlock all cosmetics. Ubisoft’s response: we never intended for players to unlock every cosmetic item, just enough for one or two characters.

Hopefully NRS avoids that fiasco. For Honor died a death of a thousand cuts, and this was but one of those cuts, albeit a very deep one.

People tend to hate on these unreasonably because they think they've paid "full price"

No one is paying full price for AAA games because AAA games are not sold at full price. The publisher price mark has been at 60 for so long despite inflation and rising development costs and has only been able to stay this way because extra avenues of monetization.

Lun

proud TERF!
People tend to hate on these unreasonably because they think they've paid "full price"

No one is paying full price for AAA games because AAA games are not sold at full price. The publisher price mark has been at 60 for so long despite inflation and rising development costs and has only been able to stay this way because extra avenues of monetization.

.......You honestly believe this? Ok then.

Kratilim

Noob
I'll be fine with it do as long as it doesn't take a year to get all of one characters Unlockables.
If it's based on pay wall then I'll be irritated to say the least.
In an interview one of the devs mentioned there's a special tower you can progress through to unlock character specific stuff. So I think it won't take a year. At least... I hope not...

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
This is being published by WB, same guys who published, 'Shadow of War' and I have not forgotten that shit show where they used the same 'yOu CaN eArN eVeRyThInG iN gAmE' line. Lo and behold, game ended up being a grind fest
Then after they got all their money they removed the store and had to rebalance the game. Even though they swore up and down it didn't have any impact on gameplay.
They also pretended they were doing the fan base a favor by removing the store. Fuck that.
Look at how SF5 does it's transactions.
Everything from stages to costumes could be unlocked with Fight Money. They have challenges come up for more Fight Money occasionally too, but you could just unlock everything with real money if you want.

This kind of system makes it so NRS is still making money throughout the games life, but still rewards the hardcore audience by not nickel and diming them to death because they will end up with everything anyway.
Keep in mind the fight money grind was fucking atrocious. Not only that, they keep adding shit for you to buy and don't add ways to make enough money to buy shit. It's a broken economy.
They even nerfed the hell out of fight money as the game continued. Survival mode no longer earns you fm. The trials don't give you fm anymore either. They give you a challenge system that rewards very little fm and then charge 70k for a stage.

You get 50fm per online victory, 25 per loss. You can use outfits on characters that are covered in ads for an additional 4fm per match or have an ad based loading screen for another 4. Like 58fm per match is sufficient to regularly purchase content.

Now you have timed trials that charge you fm to earn crossover costumes and shit, but there's an entrance fee of like 2500 per attempt and you have to play it multiple times to get random drops to cash in for the outfit.

Hell, the only two ways to earn fm are from leveling up characters and from doing the challenges, but the earn rate is so insignificant that you're better off buying with real money.

I despise the economy in sf5 and I gave up on that game a long time ago. It's unfortunate, but Elder Gods I hope WB doesn't fuck mk11 like Capcom did sf5. /rant

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I don't "believe" it. It's a fact
Adjusted for inflation, the cost of a video game has gone way down. Here are some NES prices from the 80's:

We can find a 1990 game's 2019 price by multiplying by 1.95. So, in 2019, that sweet copy of Robocop 2 on NES would have cost $113.08. Here's an entire article about this subject, and here is an online inflation calculator. The only caveat that I can think of is that those games were manufactured on expensive cartridges, while games today are released on inexpensive disks or digitally at almost no expense, so devs get to keep a larger chunk of the pie.

Please don’t come in here with “woe is video game publishers”, its embarrassing to see people shill this hard for companies.

Games are still 60 despite:
-Being shells of themselves in content
-Being cheaper to produce and distribute than ever before.
Games make insane amounts of money and are easier to distribute and produce than ever to offset the price point, and then some. I get it, you love mortal kombat, but it’s an ignorant position to take and spread around that what’s done in the industry is justified because “$60 bro”.

Last edited:

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO

Nintendo would say otherwise, all their 1st party games are well worth the $60 with loads of content.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Please don’t come in here with “woe is video game publishers”, its embarrassing to see people shill this hard for companies.

-Being shells of themselves in content
-Being cheaper to produce and distribute than ever before.
Games make insane amounts of money and are easier to distribute and produce than ever to offset the price point, and then some. I get it, you love mortal kombat, but it’s an ignorant position to take and spread around that what’s done in the industry is justified because “$60 bro”.
You’re mad because I pointed out that inflation exists? Ok.

Game development costs have risen and this is not a disputable fact.

Just because you're not getting everything you want doesn't change how much went into making it

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
You’re mad because I pointed out that inflation exists? Ok.
No, sweetie. You and like 3 other nrs players in this thread think inflation is a valid argument. I explained why that’s ignorant.

Do I need to bust out the crayons to help you understand

Game development costs have risen and this is not a disputable fact.

Just because you're not getting everything you want doesn't change how much went into making it

Right, right. I acknowledged that. Water is wet too. Here’s the thing: Coming into the thread and justifying companies for being greedy with “companies spend lots of money to make games now” isnt a valid argument when you consider more than just your 1 fact, hence my original post. And just because some companies spend lots of money, doesn't mean they need to to be successful. That is completely their choice. Look at Minecraft or mobile games. Certainly nobody is forcing companies to go over the top with their budgets to be successful huh?

At the end of the day, if anybody can sit their with a straight face and tell me raising the price tag for games would get rid of other monetizing practices you are delusional. As if a publisher is gonna go... “You know what, I think we've made enough money, let’s chill.” Gimme a break.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
Video games do make a shit ton of money. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 literally made 500 million in 3 days.

The problem is people like shareholders want to see growth aka MORE profit in comparison to previous products, but games are making so much money that it's hard to guarantee that every new version of a game will outsell the last one. So even though BO4 made half a billion dollars in 3 days, it wasn't enough and the game's launch was viewed poorly. Wasn't long after that Activision Blizzard decided to lay off a ton of employees from different studios so they could "reevaluate" the purpose and goals of certain series including COD. We are in a weird timeline where making half a billion in 3 days -- not even the entire lifetime sells of the game, DLC expansions, microtransactions and eSports profits -- isn't enough.

Not to mention that some companies that only care about profit and not the product are questioning if it's worth spending millions to make millions, when they could do something like mobile games and/or gambling machines that maybe only costs thousands but makes millions from ad revenue, whales, people with gambling addictions, etc.

So basically, video games make a ton of money but it's not enough money.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
No, sweetie. You and like 3 other nrs players in this thread think inflation is a valid argument. I explained why that’s ignorant.

Do I need to bust out the crayons to help you understand.
I literally posted info on inflation and how games cost less today than they used to. I never once mentioned WB, NRS, or anything else you’re raving about. You come in here dick-swinging and insulting anyone who you disagree with. You post opinions as if they are indisputable facts, and then use insulting terms like “sweetie” to attack people when they disagree. You’re an amazing player, but seem to be kind of a shitty person. Good luck in life.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I literally posted info on inflation and how games cost less today than they used to. I never once mentioned WB, NRS, or anything else you’re raving about. You come in here dick-swinging and insulting anyone who you disagree with. You post opinions as if they are indisputable facts, and then use insulting terms like “sweetie” to attack people when they disagree. You’re an amazing player, but seem to be kind of a shitty person. Good luck in life.
Ya and then I literally explained while coming in and posting the inflation argument is ignorant. Instead of arguing my points you want to pretend like I bullied you now.

Sorry but reading all the ignorance from certain posters on this site makes me kringe. Weren’t you the guy who was in storms site update thread going on about,” This is so shitty, cant believe you wasted your money Storms, more outrage etc etc” Being a total dickhead while Storms was saying be patient while he continues to update? lul but ok bro thanks for the manners advice.