What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Gameplay/Mechanics Discussion

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I'm surprised that there are this many concerns about the mechanics going into MK11. It seems that everyone is agreeing for the most part that with each new game the mechanics have been improved; nearly everyone is saying IJ2 mechanics are the best netherrealm has offered thus far. For me, the mechanics really improved with the update that took armored launchers out of MKX. That improved things considerably and its a change that remained through IJ2. Also, look at the amount of new mechanics that were added in IJ2 (mb roll, mb escapes, etc) that were well received. They have shown that they will experiment heavily with mechanics to find improvements and I'm confident they will find something that works.

One thing that I don't want is for them to change mechanics to match those of another series. The mortal kombat series has a specific identity and you can't abandon what has brought you this far. Its a fast-paced, rushdown game that offers simple execution. For good or bad, this formula has made all of us fall in love with the series. With their honest and well executed efforts to improve the mechanics and meta, I think we can feel confident the mechanics will be the best ever for an NRS title (without turning into SF or Tekken).

DanCock

Cock Master!!
NO RUN!! the arenas aren't that huge that running is needed.
give me dash cancels again, not sure who or what players thought to have this removed was a good idea O_O
Dont have the BLOCK button also be the button to use for combo breaking O_O in fact maybe just have the block button be the FUCKING BLOCK BUTTON and utilize that other button for the other stuff.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
give me dash cancels again, not sure who or what players thought to have this removed was a good idea O_O
Dont have the BLOCK button also be the button to use for combo breaking O_O in fact maybe just have the block button be the FUCKING BLOCK BUTTON and utilize that other button for the other stuff.
Omfg...YOU LIVE!!!!!!!! :O

Also, I actually expect a somewhat Inj1-to-Inj2 approach...we'll probably see MKX's mechanics return, but I can see them heavily reworked.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Pretty sure Paolo said they got rid of dash cancelling because of how it looks, so don't expect it back any time soon.

I actually agree with him too. From a spectator viewpoint, it looks so silly.

I do hate the run though

Crimea

Noob
You can complain abour run as much as you like, but it's here to stay and you all know it.
They just need to balance it equally with backward movement
And block button is not going anywhere.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
It does kind of look like raiden and scorpion are running at each other in mid air at the beginning.

Actually thinking about it, what i want are interactible cancels ie: d2 xx leap interactible xx air combo shit or llike spear xx interactible activate, kd combo xx interactible hits xx continue pressure

If we're gonna live with these things it's time they do more than just get out of jail free card.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
You can complain abour run as much as you like, but it's here to stay and you all know it.
They just need to balance it equally with backward movement
I mean, I know a few FGs where some characters can run backwards...

Alec

Noob
Shujinkydink made a video saying he heard that MK11 has a new combo system, which, basically removed "dial-a-combo"s, meaning button pressing in combos have to be timed accurately.
Don't know how to feel about this one yet, if it is true.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Shujinkydink made a video saying he heard that MK11 has a new combo system, which, basically removed "dial-a-combo"s, meaning button pressing in combos have to be timed accurately.
I hope that is not true. If they go with the route of a combo system like Street Fighter, I'd probably not play the game, just buy it for collector purposes. I never got to like the way combos work in Street Fighter, at all. And I tried many times.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Dan don't you love it when you get a special move out, think oh shit that was not safe I gotta block now, so you press block and now you get the meterburn version of the move?

Thanks obama

That sounds awful.

But I doubt even if they removed dial a combo the replacement would feel like SFV. It'd probably be timed presses but with Tekken or Soul Calibur timing as opposed to Street Fighters "linking" system.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
You mean THIS video ?Question mark?

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
This is my thinking as well. MK11 is going to be more of an evolution of MKX built on a new platform, rather than a huge change throwing out everything and starting again.

There's going to be a lot of tweaking to fix the things that didn't work, addition of some new mechanics (weapons/new variation system) and the overhauled gfx engine. But you'll see the MKX dna in the game.

I don't doubt that run will be back. Probably some extra defensive option/mechanic, and less 50/50s.
If that is the case then the gameplay should be quite good. MKX is a pretty good game since the final patch. So if they reduce the amount of 50/50s and give some more defensive options that should lead to a pretty good game.

In all fairness though that's not what I really want. I want completely new mechanics. I love MKXL but I want something completely different out of MK11. I'm aware that NRS risks having broken moves and meta if they introduce completely new mechanics, like vanilla MKX. But I still want something that feels completely fresh.

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
Change the variation system to just 2 per character. Too many of the variations in MKX were completely useless or just never used because the other two were far better.

2 distinct and different types of play styles would be much better.

Zaccel

Noob
The speculation on the changes to the combo system leads me to believe that strings remain, but that NRS' "auto-guard" property might be altered or removed.

For instance, Reptile's d4 is something crazy like +24 in MKX. But despite that advantage, run-in into any other string doesn't combo because it initiates "auto-guard." This property is peculiar to NRS games, and leads to a lot of oddities and exceptions (like how 34xxdd3 is a combo starter for Reptile in Noxious, because its dd3 "turns off" this property).

MK11 may reduce overall frame advantage, but remove this quirk. That way, any advantage listed is always "real," and unambiguously shows what combos and what doesn't. This would also have the effect of reducing the double-digit plus-frames enabling guessing games that are so hard to contest.

This would mean that, if it worked like this, you can "time" strings back-to-back, which is closer to SF than MK's norm, but retains the strings themselves. Counter-hits may even emerge in this game to facilitate such a mechanic (though I doubt it).

Excited to see what happens tomorrow.