What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Added to Game Pass and Xbox Play Anywhere

Mortal Kombat 11 has been added to Game Pass (both on PC and on console), and it's also been added to Xbox Play Anywhere.

For those unaware, Xbox Play Anywhere is a program where you only buy the game once, and you have it on all available platforms. So anyone who has the game on, say, an Xbox Console, now has it on PC and mobile as well with shared save data between versions!

The official FAQ for the game coming to Game Pass can be found here. Sadly, no cross-play, though that may come down the road.

B W1zZ

Noob
I think the PC play anywhere version is the best version of MK11 since you can turn vsync off, 60fps cutscenes, and seems to be better optimized than the steam version. Less input delay than console and the saved data sync is pretty sweet too.

I think the PC play anywhere version is the best version of MK11 since you can turn vsync off, 60fps cutscenes, and seems to be better optimized than the steam version. Less input delay than console and the saved data sync is pretty sweet too.
I haven't loaded it up yet since I do have the Steam version installed, but that's good to know.

I could have sworn you could turn Vsync off on Steam as well though.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I installed the it on XBox with basic Game Pass. Worth noting the story mode isn't included, which my only interest in would be for unlocking Frost.

I would be curious if the two PC versions did perform different. At this point I'm pretty suspicious the denuvo thing causes hitching for the Steam version. Not super inclined upgrade so I could test it myself though.

I installed the it on XBox with basic Game Pass. Worth noting the story mode isn't included, which my only interest in would be for unlocking Frost.

I would be curious if the two PC versions did perform different. At this point I'm pretty suspicious the denuvo thing causes hitching for the Steam version. Not super inclined upgrade so I could test it myself though.
Story Mode is included. It not downloading is a part of the Known Issues in the article I linked above:

"Some parts of the game may not be downloaded automatically.

• If you’re trying to access Story content in-game on PC and it’s missing, launch the Xbox app, right-click Mortal Kombat 11 from your list of installed games and select Manage. Select the box for Story content (Standard or 4K), then select Apply changes."

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Story Mode is included. It not downloading is a part of the Known Issues in the article I linked above:

"Some parts of the game may not be downloaded automatically.

• If you’re trying to access Story content in-game on PC and it’s missing, launch the Xbox app, right-click Mortal Kombat 11 from your list of installed games and select Manage. Select the box for Story content (Standard or 4K), then select Apply changes."
Ahh. I don't have the PC GP, just console. Just saw it was not available in the menu.

Ahh. I don't have the PC GP, just console. Just saw it was not available in the menu.
Ah, so you're playing on console then. I haven't installed on PC since I already have the Steam version installed, so I haven't tested it there yet. The console version I bought back in April.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Nice, how are you liking it? Later this year I'm going to furnish a spare bedroom (which is currently empty) as a guest room, and I was going to set up a TV and get a Series S for it.
I do like it. I figured I have a pc for the demanding stuff, and it could just use it for whatever looked good on GP. Load times are great, the quick resume is bonkers. I don't fully know what its limits are but I think I had 3 games it remembered where I was after unplugging it and moving it to another room.

Moving it being pretty easy given its size and you only needing a fairly common style cord and an HDMI cable and you are set.

This gen feels like they are finally solving problems I had with console vs PC (low framerates and bad load times), so that part is cool too.

B W1zZ

Noob
At this point I'm pretty suspicious the denuvo thing causes hitching for the Steam version. Not super inclined upgrade so I could test it myself though.
All I know is something was causing my steam version to skip frames and get choppy randomly out of nowhere like I was forced to keep vsync on to prevent it from happening but could never get it perfect, the xbox pc version doesn't have that problem at all.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
The ad they sent in the email saying it was on gamepass shows it is the ultimate version cuz it has Mileena and such on there. it seems like it should be crossplay when people do they beta. but i don't have gamepass. so i don't know.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
All I know is something was causing my steam version to skip frames and get choppy randomly out of nowhere like I was forced to keep vsync on to prevent it from happening but could never get it perfect, the xbox pc version doesn't have that problem at all.
That interesting, and sounds super familiar. I finally had some success by moving the game to a different SSD, but there are some things like last hit of a match that always drop frames for me that makes me think it's DRM related. I'm running 175hz monitor with variable refresh on, and see the same stuff I saw at 60hrz so I don't think it's v-sync related.

I wish PC wasn't internally fragmented where you have platforms inside of the platform. PC MK11 is a small enough group on it's own. I reckon the MS MK11 version is a pretty small group. I'd migrate though if more people start coming out as saying it clearly works better and others are willing to do the same.

B W1zZ

Noob
That interesting, and sounds super familiar. I finally had some success by moving the game to a different SSD, but there are some things like last hit of a match that always drop frames for me that makes me think it's DRM related. I'm running 175hz monitor with variable refresh on, and see the same stuff I saw at 60hrz so I don't think it's v-sync related.

I wish PC wasn't internally fragmented where you have platforms inside of the platform. PC MK11 is a small enough group on it's own. I reckon the MS MK11 version is a pretty small group. I'd migrate though if more people start coming out as saying it clearly works better and others are willing to do the same.
I have both steam/xbox versions installed on a wd black non ssd and only the steam version has weird frame skips, xbox pc version runs flawlessly and just feels so much more optimized and smoother than steam and console. I think the more people that try it out the more people are going to realize how much better it is. The pool of players is currently much smaller though since it's a brand new online environment with no crossplay (yet), but anyone who has gamepass for pc/ultimate or owns the game on xbox is able to play it on pc.

I have both steam/xbox versions installed on a wd black non ssd and only the steam version has weird frame skips, xbox pc version runs flawlessly and just feels so much more optimized and smoother than steam and console. I think the more people that try it out the more people are going to realize how much better it is. The pool of players is currently much smaller though since it's a brand new online environment with no crossplay (yet), but anyone who has gamepass for pc/ultimate or owns the game on xbox is able to play it on pc.
Do you know if you need Xbox Live Gold to play it Multiplayer on PC? And does it play with the Xbox console versions, or is it Game Pass PC only?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Now I'm super confused what they are selling. Ultimate is cheap enough right now I was willing to buy it if I get both Xbox on PC. Doesn't look like I can play or even buy it on my PC unless I upgrade my GP to include PC or use the cloud streaming app. I wouldn't want to stream it, and I wouldn't want to have to play money for a service that then lets me pay more money to buy things when I'm not even clear if that is what it's doing.

I swear their store has always hated to do the one thing you would think it was there to do. I can buy it on Xbox fine, but so I'll have to see what happens that route. Not convinced at this point I'll have access to the PC version and nothing I'm reading really makes me feel like I understand what the limitations are

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
OK, that was a terrible idea. I bought the 2pack with IJ2 and MK11U and they took my money, sent me an email, and they seem to think I don't own the games. They don't show in my all games library but MK11 base does, which I didn't buy and that list does NOT list game pass games.

I think I broke them, and outside of a refund request I don't know what to do about it.

Well, I found the items under the item's store page. Was the only way I could find to install stuff.

Last edited:
@Gooberking Sorry, I'm actually completely confused by your posts and what's going on.

If I am understanding correctly, you bought the Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate and Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition 2-Pack on sale on your Xbox Series S, it wasn't installing properly, you're not sure they'll run on your PC, and you seem to think Game Pass charges you more to buy games?

Assuming I am understanding correctly, and to clarify how the system works:

Any game that's part of Xbox Play Anywhere, you can purchase via the Store on your Xbox console or via the Microsoft Store on your PC. When you buy one, you automatically get the other. This is irrespective of what level of Game Pass membership you have, or even if you have no Game Pass at all (which I don't).

Mortal Kombat 11 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, however Injustice 2 is not, so while Mortal Kombat 11 will play on both your console and PC, Injustice 2 will only work on the platform you bought it under.

Since it looks like you bought the bundle on your console, both games should automatically start to download and install. If for some reason they do not (and that's never occurred to me through the 19 games I've purchased digitally), you can a) go to the games respective page on the Store and select to install or b) go to your library, view your full library, and install it from there.

For your PC, you'll want to download the Xbox App, which you can get from the Microsoft Store. This functions as the "Xbox Launcher" similar to the Steam launcher, Battle.net launcher, etc. You can then either search for the game there and install it, or do so from the Microsoft Store App (and it'll ask you to install it form the Xbox App).

Game Pass also does not charge you more to buy a game, in fact you often get a discount for buying a Game Pass featured game (I think it's usually around 10% off). This is not always the case though, and you need to see if it shows if it's discounted or not when you're logged in and about to purchase.

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
@Gooberking Sorry, I'm actually completely confused by your posts and what's going on.

If I am understanding correctly, you bought the Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate and Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition 2-Pack on sale on your Xbox Series S, it wasn't installing properly, you're not sure they'll run on your PC, and you seem to think Game Pass charges you more to buy games?

Assuming I am understanding correctly, and to clarify how the system works:

Any game that's part of Xbox Play Anywhere, you can purchase via the Store on your Xbox console or via the Microsoft Store on your PC. When you buy one, you automatically get the other. This is irrespective of what level of Game Pass membership you have, or even if you have no Game Pass at all (which I don't).

Mortal Kombat 11 is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, however Injustice 2 is not, so while Mortal Kombat 11 will play on both your console and PC, Injustice 2 will only work on the platform you bought it under.

Since it looks like you bought the bundle on your console, both games should automatically start to download and install. If for some reason they do not (and that's never occurred to me through the 19 games I've purchased digitally), you can a) go to the games respective page on the Store and select to install or b) go to your library, view your full library, and install it from there.

For your PC, you'll want to download the Xbox App, which you can get from the Microsoft Store. This functions as the "Xbox Launcher" similar to the Steam launcher, Battle.net launcher, etc. You can then either search for the game there and install it, or do so from the Microsoft Store App (and it'll ask you to install it form the Xbox App).

Game Pass also does not charge you more to buy a game, in fact you often get a discount for buying a Game Pass featured game (I think it's usually around 10% off). This is not always the case though, and you need to see if it shows if it's discounted or not when you're logged in and about to purchase.
I think I'm understanding more.

The games absolutely do NOT appear in my library of games on console or my purchases when viewed from PC (which include console only games and DLC history.) Apparently that is just a thing with MS. Maybe they will appear later, but for now the only way I could access the content was through the store listing for the specific bundle and check what I wanted installed which did work just fine. It just means I actually have to just know I own it to install it.

I haven't tried the Xbox App yet. That was a major point of confusion because I had never heard of it, had no notion of what it was, but it wants me to use it to purchase some items but not others. Further confusing the issue was being able to buy a gift directly on the store but looking like the app was how you had to purchase them for yourself.

As of now it looks like I can install through the app which I may try later. I just didn't know what the heck it was or why I had to go to the store to go into something else to buy something that I found through the store which is where I would expect to...buy things. When I looked into the app the first stuff that came up was talking about streaming games to PC which also was super not what I was looking for.

I think I'm understanding more.

The games absolutely do NOT appear in my library of games on console or my purchases when viewed from PC (which include console only games and DLC history.) Apparently that is just a thing with MS. Maybe they will appear later, but for now the only way I could access the content was through the store listing for the specific bundle and check what I wanted installed which did work just fine. It just means I actually have to just know I own it to install it.

I haven't tried the Xbox App yet. That was a major point of confusion because I had never heard of it, had no notion of what it was, but it wants me to use it to purchase some items but not others. Further confusing the issue was being able to buy a gift directly on the store but looking like the app was how you had to purchase them for yourself.

As of now it looks like I can install through the app which I may try later. I just didn't know what the heck it was or why I had to go to the store to go into something else to buy something that I found through the store which is where I would expect to...buy things. When I looked into the app the first stuff that came up was talking about streaming games to PC which also was super not what I was looking for.
Hmmm... I suspect you're simply looking in the wrong place, or expecting them to appear in a certain spot where they won't.

Any game you purchase that plays on your Xbox Series S will appear in your All Owned Games. To access this:

• On your console, go to your Library
  • On the left side, select Full Library
  • Select All Owned Games
On PC, you can view every App and Game you own by:

• Going to the Microsoft Store
  • Click Library in the Bottom Left
  • You can then filter it to Games only
However, I strongly recommend you install the Xbox App. From said App:

• Click My Collection in the top left.
  • You'll now see all your games, and you can select Mortal Kombat 11 and install it (Or Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate in your case. You'll likely see both as I do).
Note on PC, you may also see console versions of the game represented for some reason, which is why you may see a game listed twice (I see this for Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Killer Instinct). That is one thing I hope they clean up a little better as they further develop the PC system.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Hmmm... I suspect you're simply looking in the wrong place, or expecting them to appear in a certain spot where they won't.
No, I was in the right place. They have help docs even describing the issue and where to find your stuff if it doesn't show up where it should (via store page)

They are showing up now in the same places (console and PC library views) so apparently it can just take awhile, which isn't that unusual with large tech systems.

No, I was in the right place. They have help docs even describing the issue and where to find your stuff if it doesn't show up where it should (via store page)

They are showing up now in the same places (console and PC library views) so apparently it can just take awhile, which isn't that unusual with large tech systems.
Very odd, but I'm glad you got it working.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Ended up having to do a (I guess dirty) reinstall Windows to finally clear up some account weirdness that has been hanging around for what feels like forever. Wasn't really able to run the game on PC until Sunday morning.

Both seem to run pretty well at this point and I'm not really noticing anything in my case that makes me think one is a technically better option. Steam is a lot nicer an experience on the whole, and I'm not wild about there being a 100+ gb folder tree in my HD that not even an admin account is allowed to look at.

The cross progression is nice, especially in this freaking game which tries to waste as much time as it possibly can drip feeding you the content. As someone that bought it 4 times and collected all the heads twice, I'm not interested in any more of that. I imagine for someone that has had the game on Xbox for a long time, it's probably a nice extra to just get a PC version with all your stuff. Beyond that, I don't really see the PC version standing on it's own when the Steam version was around day 1.

Worth noting the variation images seem to be locally generated and cashed, so unless you open and resave a variation it will most likely be a default image. Not a problem exclusive to this situation or version. I had to regenerate all my Steam edition variation images after reinstalling Windows too; even though I had the same MK11 install.