What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 – Official Kombat League Announce Trailer

Mortal Kombat 11 (MK11) has risen to be one of the most popular games in the world following its release, as many members of the game's community are working to improve their skills and become the very best Mortal Kombat 11 players they can be. It is no secret that playing against tougher opponents will help players become better themselves, and the newly announced MK11 Kombat League is looking to be the avenue for players to do this. If you are curious about what the MK11 ranked league entails, be sure to check out all of the recently revealed information about the new Mortal Kombat 11 league game mode below.

Mortal Kombat 11 – Official Kombat League Announce Trailer

Mortal Kombat 11 (MK11) has risen to be one of the most popular games in the world following its release, as many members of the game's community are working to improve their skills and become the very best Mortal Kombat 11 players they can be. It is no secret that playing against tougher opponents will help players become better themselves, and the newly announced MK11 Kombat League is looking to be the avenue for players to do this. If you are curious about what the MK11 ranked league entails, be sure to check out all of the recently revealed information about the new Mortal Kombat 11 league game mode below.

Mortal Kombat 11 (MK11) Kombat League

The new game mode for entry 11 in the fighting game franchise was officially revealed by the franchise's co-creator of Ed Boon in a video posted to his Twitter account on Monday, June 17th.

According to the video posted by Ed Boon, the MK11 ranked League will allow each mortal player to compete against other players in various ranks that start at the level of Apprentice and progress all of the way to the level of Elder God beginning on Tuesday, June 18th. This first season for the MK11 ranked League will be known as the Season of Blood and will be a four week long seasonal ranked mode where players will be able to test their skills against players of the same skill level. Wins in the ranked sets will earn players points. Each ranked set in the Mortal Kombat 11 ranked game mode will be a best two out of three.

There will be a total of nine ranks that players can progress through. Players will be rewarded with exclusive cosmetic items each time they move up a rank in the Mortal Kombat 11 league game mode. You will be rewarded with the cosmetic items from the highest rank you achieved in each season even if you drop down in rank by the conclusion of the current season. There will also be a variety of challenges players can complete in each season of the MK11 ranked league that will award even more rewards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

While i am indifferent about the exclusive skins i would bet that they will receive a huge backlash on this latest after the first season. It will also cost them players down the line, at least for this mode, as people who cant make the tops wont bother with it after a couple of seasons.

It would be better if you could buy those skins with currency that you get on season end. So that people in lower ranks could at least work towards them while people at the top get enough currency to buy it eight away.

Anyways at least its finally here.
This is how it should have been done, it’s not even up for debate.

Rocket League does this with its seasonal events and it’s 100% the way to do it. Earn seasonal currency after every game, less if you lose, more if you win. Everybody can then buy what they want with the in game seasonal currency eventually, no matter their skill level.

NRS needs to do this for future seasons or they’ll suffer for it.

It looks like a good system. Studying the challenges section shows that you get nice rewards just for completing those.
So far as moving up the ranks, it just depends on the implementation. It's probably going to be abused by plug pullers on an incoming loss, so I hope they have a plan for that.
Looking at the rank rewards, they are nice for the characters they apply to, but if I'm a Raiden main, why do I care about ranking up? There's nothing there for him that I can see?

Completely agree. Not liking this having exclusive skins makes no sense. They need MORE online play unlockable stuff. So I can actually unlock shit, lol
Actually people not liking it makes as much sense as people liking it. Only a small amount of people will be able to get the highest ranks and therefore those rewards. Top ranked peoples playing less and less in order to not lose points makes as well as gatekeeping makes that even less players.

Besides that imagine you are a Skarlet player and her awesome skin is available in a season were you are on vacation or have to work extra shifts etcetc

Dont get me wrong, i am all for people that are better and/or invest more time to get better rewards but locking people out of things is still not a good approach if you want to keep as much players as possible going. Therefore just having season rewards and awarding KL currency depending on rank is a much better approach in my oppinion. You wont take away anything from the top players and still give lower skilled people a reason to come back next season.

Actually people not liking it makes as much sense as people liking it. Only a small amount of people will be able to get the highest ranks and therefore those rewards.
This is not a given really. Pretty much all ranking systems in fighting games tend to have inflation built in, that is, wins significantly award more points than defeats remove so the mean rises over time if you count only active players. Likely more so here given they are openly resetting after a week, but we won't really know until the season plays out.

With KI it felt like half the online population reached Killer Rank in two months.

"EXclUsiVE ReWaRDs!!!"

Black/white/red recolors of already existing skins... when will this stop??
Yeah, because adding in completely unique one-of-a-kind skins available nowhere else that only a certain # of players will ever be able to get is such a prime fuckin' idea.

This looks like a combination of Overwatch seasons and Diablo Season Journey. My only hesitation is that it is only 4 weeks. That seems like quite a short time.

This is not a given really. Pretty much all ranking systems in fighting games tend to have inflation built in, that is, wins significantly award more points than defeats remove so the mean rises over time if you count only active players. Likely more so here given they are openly resetting after a week, but we won't really know until the season plays out.

With KI it felt like half the online population reached Killer Rank in two months.
Fair enough. I was basing it on a set amount of available seats for each rank which for me is the superior way to handle it.

As you said we will see once it starts but for the longevity a reward system tied directly to ranks will always be inferior to a system that is not.

If anyone is concerned about "unlockable" stuff from online only play, just wait for the inevitable "kompletely legendary" edition with it all unlocked.

Actually people not liking it makes as much sense as people liking it. Only a small amount of people will be able to get the highest ranks and therefore those rewards. Top ranked peoples playing less and less in order to not lose points makes as well as gatekeeping makes that even less players.

Besides that imagine you are a Skarlet player and her awesome skin is available in a season were you are on vacation or have to work extra shifts etcetc

Dont get me wrong, i am all for people that are better and/or invest more time to get better rewards but locking people out of things is still not a good approach if you want to keep as much players as possible going. Therefore just having season rewards and awarding KL currency depending on rank is a much better approach in my oppinion. You wont take away anything from the top players and still give lower skilled people a reason to come back next season.
I don’t see the problem. If you can’t get this seasons skins for whatever reason, it isn’t the end of the world. If you have to have them, then get them.

I don’t see the problem. If you can’t get this seasons skins for whatever reason, it isn’t the end of the world. If you have to have them, then get them.
Exactly, and if someone really wants them then they'll work hard to get it. It's something to be proud of if you do achieve this rank and get the exclusive rewards. It seems a lot of people still have the participation trophy mentality.

Exactly, and if someone really wants them then they'll work hard to get it. It's something to be proud of if you do achieve this rank and get the exclusive rewards. It seems a lot of people still have the participation trophy mentality.
There are rewards for participation. If you look on the challenges screen, they have them listed off to the side (and they're not that difficult. Basically character tower stuff).
Which I think is great. The last thing you want is a system that only ultra competitive people play. That's way too low of a base to build a good retention system around (which is what this is, disguised though it may be.)
I'm fine with the highest ranks being dope looking reskins. I'm not likely to ever get them (definitely not this season.) But it's a great reward for people to strive for. TBH, since they're just reskins, and I already have most of the gear and about half the skins in the game, I won't be really chuffed if I don't get them. I like my Scarlet better than what's on offer (though it would be nice to have).

TLDR: There are participation awards (and they look good). There are achievement awards (and they aren't ridiculously better than anything else you could get). I think we're starting at a solid base.

I'm gonna go into this and have fun like I did with KI. I didnt expect to make it to Killer rank but I did and that came from playing better players and leveling up my game.

I suggest everyone else does the same. Keep grinding it out and having fun at the same time.

Do we even know what rank you need to reach to get the skins? People are complaining about shit we don't even know the details on, yet. I highly doubt you'll need to reach Elder God to get the skins. I think there's higher ranks just so the super sweaties have something to shoot for, as well. There will probably be a special set of Kombat Kards or something for them, with the skins available at lower ranks so more people have access to them.

Just guessing from the video, there are some skins based on rank (The Erron Black skin looks to be the highest ranked one) As well as a few gear pieces.
But there are also new skins that aren't on that list (white Skarlet with the red trim, as opposed to the red / black one on the list) that you probably get for regular ranking up or win count or something?

Ok so looking at the video again, lets break it down.

Ive noticed not only are there different skins for a certain character one you reach a level of rankings (3 ranks each before you ascend a new skin character) but in those ranks, there's exclusive 3 gear pieces for different characters as well.

And.....its also FT2....STILL. So for those wishing to go back to FT3, looks like that wont happen for a long time, at least this season.

There are rewards for participation. If you look on the challenges screen, they have them listed off to the side (and they're not that difficult. Basically character tower stuff).
Which I think is great. The last thing you want is a system that only ultra competitive people play. That's way too low of a base to build a good retention system around (which is what this is, disguised though it may be.)
I'm fine with the highest ranks being dope looking reskins. I'm not likely to ever get them (definitely not this season.) But it's a great reward for people to strive for. TBH, since they're just reskins, and I already have most of the gear and about half the skins in the game, I won't be really chuffed if I don't get them. I like my Scarlet better than what's on offer (though it would be nice to have).

TLDR: There are participation awards (and they look good). There are achievement awards (and they aren't ridiculously better than anything else you could get). I think we're starting at a solid base.
As long as there is a good balance between effort driven rewards and participation rewards then I'm good. These days games usually give you the ability to either work for something or buy it and I feel like it has affected gaming as a whole, nothing is worth working for or actually earning anymore since you can just throw cash at it.

Good thing about this is you can only rely on yourself. No need to worry about dropping ranks constantly cause you solo queue and get shitty teammates. (looking at you overwatch!)

If you have a bad rank, no one to play but yourself. That's why I like fighting games.
Kinda why I dropped R6 Siege. FGs are perfect, you train with a ton of different people and then put that in practice alone.