What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 PC System Requirements

The game's page is up on Steam, and so are the system requirements:

System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 | AMD Ryzen™ 3 3100 or Ryzen™ 5 2600
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 980 or AMD Radeon™ RX 470 or Intel® Arc™ A750
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 100 GB available space

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X
    • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti or AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT or Intel® Arc™ A770
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 100 GB available space

My PC is below the requirements, so I will have to go with Xbox Series X this time around.

Sparta

Noob
I hope the system requirements are correct, at the moment they seem a bit low for what we saw in the trailer, they are just higher than those of MK11 and definitely lower than those of SF6 for example.
Ok that the game must also run on Switch, but they seem a little low to me, this would mean that the whole trailer was in CGI and does not reflect the game engine.
We know that the engine, as always, will be UE but we don't know which version, at this point I don't think UE5

Immortal

Blind justice....
Unless they remade everything for UE 5 there is no chance for that. Anyway version of the engine means nothing. You can do pretty much whatever you want with an engine if you have the source code and that's what they did with Unreal Engine 3.5 on which all of their recent games are based. It's a good bet this one is too, thou it's hard to call it UE 3.5 since they wrote and rewritten so much code of it.

Anyway it's not the engine version that's holding back the visuals, it's always the hardware, the lowest common denominator, which in this case is consoles hardware. 1080 Ti is even a bit faster GPU than the GPU(APU) in PS5/X1. So this seems fine. It's just nothing to write home about in current PC GPU market.

Zviko

Noob
This is gonna be Cyberpunk all over again. These are way too low for what trailer suggests. Unless whoever is developing the port is some kind of genius.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
This is gonna be Cyberpunk all over again. These are way too low for what trailer suggests. Unless whoever is developing the port is some kind of genius.
the trailer doesn't suggest anything.. it is a cgi trailer.. not game gfx..... isn't it?

Zviko

Noob
Even if it is CGI, still low for a game released in 2023. Like GTX 980 was barely even running MK11 smoothly and not even on highest settings.

Immortal

Blind justice....
You seem to forget that Recommended hardware is for something like 1080p with high settings@60 fps. So not even the highest settings. GTX 1080 Ti is more than enough for that.

Obviously once you go above like 1440 or even better 4K with highest settings you will need better GPU. Still, not a problem with top GPUs even from generation before(30X0).

they are just higher than those of MK11 and definitely lower than those of SF6 for example.
Here's the recommended system requirements for Mortal Kombat X:

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon HD 7950
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 44 GB available space
And now Mortal Kombat 11:

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-2300, 2.8 GHz / AMD FX-6300, 3.5GHz or AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400, 3.2 GHz
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 780 or NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1060-6GB / AMD® Radeon™ R9 290 or RX 570
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
The GPU requirements went up, but not by a huge margin. The CPU requirements went down. Same Ram and everything else but dropped Windows 8 support. So the system requirements for Mortal Kombat 1, while they can still change, don't seem underwhelming after all.

1080 Ti is even a bit faster GPU than the GPU(APU) in PS5/X1.
As I understand it from Digital Foundry, the PlayStation 5's GPU is roughly the equivalent of an RTX 2070 Super, the Xbox Series X is roughly an RTX 2080, and they didn't comment on the Xbox Series S, but I've seen elsewhere it's roughly a GTX 1060 with limited raytracing capabilities. From your experience, would you say that's more or less correct?

Is there something UE5 does that UE4 cannot? I'm not familiar with the details of things like that at all.
Lots of things. I recommend getting out The Matrix: Awakens tech demo, and watching some Digital Foundry videos on it and Unreal Engine 5.

Immortal

Blind justice....
As I understand it from Digital Foundry, the PlayStation 5's GPU is roughly the equivalent of an RTX 2070 Super, the Xbox Series X is roughly an RTX 2080, and they didn't comment on the Xbox Series S, but I've seen elsewhere it's roughly a GTX 1060 with limited raytracing capabilities. From your experience, would you say that's more or less correct?
That's mostly correct. Since you cant do 1:1 between PC GPU and console APU but it's pretty close. GTX 1080 Ti is pretty much as fast as RTX 2070 Super which is roughly what you have in PS5. XSX is a bit faster somewhere a long the lines of RTX 2080, so like 5-10% faster on avarage than GTX 1080 Ti. XSS is somewhere around GTX 1060.

Also to give some context where we are today with PC GPUs - RTX 4080 is like 2.5-3 times faster than GTX 1080 Ti at 4K.

Would an RTX 3070 I9 laptop be good enough to play it high/ultra settings?
Laptop GPUs is a completely different story, since they're mostly cut down version of desktop GPU with the same name to meat power/heat dissipation req. of a small laptop. For that reason there are also several versions of any NV GPU for laptops depending on TGP(laptop vendors decide on that, from like 80 to 130W).

So for the best case scenario- a mobile RTX 3070 with 115-130 TGP power limit is roughly 30% slower than the desktop version of 3070. So roughly it's a match to dektop RTX 2080 which is roughly 5-10% faster than the desktop 1080 Ti.

In summary you are good for high/ultra setting at 1080p and maybe(this will need testing) even for 1440p.

Mortal Kombat 1 PC requirements look just fine, there is nothing weird here as long as you remember that recommended specs are for something like 1080/1440p with high settings@60 fps. Not for "max everything @4K".

Last edited:
That's mostly correct. Since you cant do 1:1 between PC GPU and console APU but it's pretty close. GTX 1080 Ti is pretty much as fast as RTX 2070 Super which is roughly what you have in PS5. XSX is a bit faster somewhere a long the lines of RTX 2080, so like 5-10% faster on avarage than GTX 1080 Ti. XSS is somewhere around GTX 1060.

Also to give some context where we are today with PC GPUs - RTX 4080 is like 2.5-3 times faster than GTX 1080 Ti at 4K.
Very cool, and thanks for chiming in. I know it'll never be an exact comparison since console APU's are custom, but it's always cool to approximate. I like how Digital Foundry does comparisons with "console like settings" as they call it (setting a PC version to as close to the console settings as possible).

For power/speed, I was just watching Digital Foundry's look at the newly added performance mode to A Plague Tale: Requiem, and it was neat to see that the game has an unlocked frame rate now (I believe it's done by using Performance Mode on a 120hz TV). While testing that, you could see the Xbox Series X was outperforming the PlayStation 5. Depending on the section, it could be minor (a few FPS) to a sizable difference (roughly 20-25 FPS).

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Or get a ps5 for the cost of 1/3rd of a modern gfx card.. put the disc in and have it work instantly and perfectly.

Immortal

Blind justice....
More likely dont buy anything and just play on your PC which you already own and probably is more than good enough for this game anyway.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
I'm actually shocked my tiny PC can play MK1... not only that but in almost every category of the recommended settings. lmao

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
already upgraded my gpu and ram, but the 100GB bothers me. specially since optimizing the game for competitive play already requires below average settings, so all those 4k textures and shader packs gotta be optional via custom download. but they don't care, the final version is probably gonna go up to 175GB+ which is insane for a fighting game.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Sure is... but it's a smaller issue now, since faster connections are more widely available and so are bigger SSD which are at the lowest price ever. You can buy a mediocre 2 TB SSD/M2 drive for the price of... MK1 here.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
MK1 is running on NRS's proprietary version of Unreal 3, just like MK11...it should be fine.. the question is, will QLOC port it correctly.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
MK1 is running on NRS's proprietary version of Unreal 3, just like MK11...it should be fine.. the question is, will QLOC port it correctly.
QLOC did pretty fine with MK11's port. MKX's port was also ok after MKXL. Aside from the inevitable cheating and maybe delayed patches again, I don't foresee many issues for MK12's PC port.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
QLOC did pretty fine with MK11's port. MKX's port was also ok after MKXL. Aside from the inevitable cheating and maybe delayed patches again, I don't foresee many issues for MK12's PC port.
Wasn't a different studio the one who ported MKX? The release was a disaster lmao unforgettable. Menu simulator!

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Wasn't a different studio the one who ported MKX? The release was a disaster lmao unforgettable. Menu simulator!
Iirc, it launched with a hell of a memory leak that caused the game to crash anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours after you launched it. Not sure how long it was like that