What's new

Mortal Kombat – Official Restricted Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people can only G off by going against the grain. Everybody hates mk11? trufenix loves it. Everybody loves the new mk trailer? trufenix hates it. This movie may very well be rated R Annihilation garbage, but thats how his post reads. No plot? Why and where is the tournament? wtf are you talking about? lol. Thats like saying why and where is godzilla destroying a city? Who the fuck cares man, he's godzilla thats what he do. MK is a tournament where people and things fight. boom. plot.

I get that not everybody's goona like it (possibly me included), I'm just sayin

trufenix

bye felicia
I respect your opinion.
That said, I don’t know how presenting MK to a film audience of people who don’t know the lore or know it fully, is supposed to work.
Honestly, they could have had a teaser or two earlier that was character-based, then a full trailer that was more plot focused.
perhaps that would have been better than cramming it all into under three minutes.
Is your issue specifically with the trailer itself, or are you just disappointed in the look/feel of the MK stuff in general?
Film makers present films to audiences unfamiliar with the lore all the time, its called making a good movie. Nobody in the world knew anything about Miles Morales before Spider-verse. It was amazing on every level. Meanwhile, Far From Home followed Endgame and Spider-verse and it stunk.

But this isn't a fanboy red flag, this just looks bad. Just tell me what the movie is about based on this trailer. Who is the protagonist? Who is the villain? Why? The fact you can't answer those questions without having already played Mortal Kombat is how I know its going to suck.

trufenix

bye felicia
Some people can only G off by going against the grain. Everybody hates mk11? trufenix loves it. Everybody loves the new mk trailer? trufenix hates it. This movie may very well be rated R Annihilation garbage, but thats how his post reads. No plot? Why and where is the tournament? wtf are you talking about? lol. Thats like saying why and where is godzilla destroying a city? Who the fuck cares man, he's godzilla thats what he do. MK is a tournament where people and things fight. boom. plot.

I get that not everybody's goona like it (possibly me included), I'm just sayin
Loving MK11 is going against the grain? You poor child, what did they do to you? Where can I find them and give them a high five?

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Film makers present films to audiences unfamiliar with the lore all the time, its called making a good movie. Nobody in the world knew anything about Miles Morales before Spider-verse. It was amazing on every level. Meanwhile, Far From Home followed Endgame and Spider-verse and it stunk.

But this isn't a fanboy red flag, this just looks bad. Just tell me what the movie is about based on this trailer. Who is the protagonist? Who is the villain? Why? The fact you can't answer those questions without having already played Mortal Kombat is how I know its going to suck.
Easy.
The protagonist is that Asian guy, the villain is that other Asian guy, but bluer.
The plot is...
I hope that blonde chick gets her tits out?

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Just tell me what the movie is about based on this trailer. Who is the protagonist? Who is the villain? Why? The fact you can't answer those questions without having already played Mortal Kombat is how I know its going to suck.
C'mon man, the plot is obviously shallow af, but it wasn't hard to follow from the trailer, even if you haven't read anything else:
  1. There's this MMA fighter dude with a funky dragon birthmark (i.e., he was born with it). His quizzical looks as he's guided on his journey by the other characters clearly label him as the protagonist.
  2. Also he's been having intrusive visions of some creepy guy in a hood--Shang? Hanzo? Not clear yet, but probably linked to a true identity to be revealed.
  3. He's contacted by some military unit that's been tracking superpowered bad guys (for reasons... to be filled in); the frozen bad guy has already shattered Jax's arms.
  4. They've gathered evidence (across time and cultures!) about a great tournament; they tell him that his birthmark means he's been "chosen" to fight in it.
  5. They all connect with a few other chosen fighters, who are seen to do cool things, led by Kid Thunder starring as Raiden. He talks about saving the Earth, which is pretty much the given plot for all such genre pieces.
  6. The main villain--easily recognized by the unmistakable Fu Manchu allusions--gets irritated about the do-gooding and is seen ordering his minions to kill all the good guys. Include snippets of Reptile, Smoke, Mileena, and Sub-Zero tracking them down and confronting them. Lots of foreshadowing of, well, mortal kombat between all the various characters.
  7. Intersperse a side plot of an historical warrior being attacked and defending himself with his gardening kunai. Later re-appears surrounded in fire and yanking the frozen bad guy around with the same kunai. All the signs of a cross-time, cross-astral plane grudge match being played out.
You have to know literally nothing about the game to discern all of that from the trailer. Deep and complex? Nah, but who cares... ask almost anyone and they've probably at least heard of the game and knows that it's about "ripping off heads." I'm not sure your average interested trailer viewer is going to care if it's not a deep plot.

trufenix

bye felicia
C'mon man, the plot is obviously shallow af, but it wasn't hard to follow from the trailer, even if you haven't read anything else:
  1. There's this MMA fighter dude with a funky dragon birthmark (i.e., he was born with it). His quizzical looks as he's guided on his journey by the other characters clearly label him as the protagonist.
  2. Also he's been having intrusive visions of some creepy guy in a hood--Shang? Hanzo? Not clear yet, but probably linked to a true identity to be revealed.
  3. He's contacted by some military unit that's been tracking superpowered bad guys (for reasons... to be filled in); the frozen bad guy has already shattered Jax's arms.
  4. They've gathered evidence (across time and cultures!) about a great tournament; they tell him that his birthmark means he's been "chosen" to fight in it.
  5. They all connect with a few other chosen fighters, who are seen to do cool things, led by Kid Thunder starring as Raiden. He talks about saving the Earth, which is pretty much the given plot for all such genre pieces.
  6. The main villain--easily recognized by the unmistakable Fu Manchu allusions--gets irritated about the do-gooding and is seen ordering his minions to kill all the good guys. Include snippets of Reptile, Smoke, Mileena, and Sub-Zero tracking them down and confronting them. Lots of foreshadowing of, well, mortal kombat between all the various characters.
  7. Intersperse a side plot of an historical warrior being attacked and defending himself with his gardening kunai. Later re-appears surrounded in fire and yanking the frozen bad guy around with the same kunai. All the signs of a cross-time, cross-astral plane grudge match being played out.
You have to know literally nothing about the game to discern all of that from the trailer. Deep and complex? Nah, but who cares... ask almost anyone and they've probably at least heard of the game and knows that it's about "ripping off heads." I'm not sure your average interested trailer viewer is going to care if it's not a deep plot.
Okay, do you not understand the fact that you pulled all of that out of your butt and had to do it in order to enjoy the trailer fucking sucks?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Okay, do you not understand the fact that you pulled all of that out of your butt and had to do it in order to enjoy the trailer fucking sucks?
Do you realize that a trailer doesnt have to give you jack shit right? A trailer doesnt have to give you a story. Shitty trailers ruin the story for you. A trailer can be good while giving minimally away and a trailer can be good by giving you part of the story.
Im all for being critical but theres a point at which your nitpicks are going way too far given the limited amount of info you have.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
for starters, there's no plot in that trailer. Like none. And thats scary, considering its release is two months away. Something about a tournament and champions, but fuck all about how, why or where. And literally all of that dialogue was voice over. Not one shot of actual plot happening during the movie, just a lot of random action scenes. Uh, yay? Second, I mean, look at it. If you didn't already know what Mortal Kombat was and who these characters are and what they are probably going to do, would you be interested in any of the principle characters? Or would you be interested in the laser eye guy, the ice guy, and the fire guy, and all the other monsters who you know only make up about 30 minutes of the movie. Meanwhile, the trailer spoils Jax, Scorpion's transformation, Goro, and Liu Kang's dragon powers.

Yawn.
1. A trailer doesnt have to give you a plot. It just has to establish a tone for the movie. This movie is clearly going for bat shit insane action fight scenes and gore interspersed with some jokes with Kano. They dont need to delve deep into the lore. They dont need to hype up the story, which will most likely be very basic.

2. All you know is that characters have fucked up powers, some are good, some are bad. The protagonist, Cole, is the only one ppl need to think about here since hes a stand in for the audience who are new to this universe.

3. "spoils Jax, Scorpion's transformation, Goro, and Liu Kang's dragon powers" Wtf. #1, something that happens in the first 10 mins of a movie is hardly considered a spoiler (jax arms). Nobody outside this community knows who goro is. LK powers......wot....people dont know who is who, they just know they all have specific powers. Whould you say they "spoiled Sub-zero's powers"? No you wouldnt. As far as ppl are concerned, its just another character with powers.

You want to diss the trailer? Lets talk about the large cast that can cause characters to be under developed, let's talk about them throwing the idea of a tournament at the beginning of what they hope to be a large movie universe, let's talk about the questionable dialogue (although even that could be an editing thing). Beyond that, you're just pushing way too far and getting way to annoyed over flimsy details.

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I dont think there are many people on this planet who don't know what mortal kombat is lol. Its a part of pop culture not some underground thing nobody has heard of. Is it going to be over the top and a bit lame? Well yeah but what martial atrs movie isn't. Its supposed to be.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I dont think there are many people on this planet who don't know what mortal kombat is lol. Its a part of pop culture not some underground thing nobody has heard of. Is it going to be over the top and a bit lame? Well yeah but what martial atrs movie isn't. Its supposed to be.
Most ppl know Mortal Kombat by name. Most ppl probably know its violent and most ppl maybe know 1 or two character names. I doubt many ppl know much more than that.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Uhh nope... as long as you haven't been living under a rock and can recognize a few common movie tropes, all of it is there in the trailer. I mean, no trailer writes a whole dissertation on the movie for you; it's always up to you to fill in some of the blanks.

Not looking to continue a pointless argument with you, friend, but honestly I'm not sure what you're angling at here. If you think the movie looks like trash based on what you've seen, that's fine, whatever--just own your opinion then. Because trying to claim that it's because the trailer "has no information in it" is kind of weird and nonsensical (besides being self-evidently false).

Nah, I'd rather have a vague trailer than a trailer that spells out the plot any day. I even wish this trailer didn't show the money shots of the fatals, but its redband and they gotta build hype quick so its cool. I thought Far From Home was good too, it had less explanation cuz its a sequel among many other world building sequels, no?

And its weird your so concerned about audiences unfamiliar with the lore too, like thats your major gripe, that a trailer didn't spell things out for people who probably don't care anyway. Scorpion needs to look directly into the camera and be like "hi, I'm hell specter and vengeful spirit hanzo "scorpion" hasashi. I don't like the ice guy, Sub Zero, because he killed me. The more you knoooooooooooow". so your grandma gets it i guess. Just relax and enjoy (or hate) the movie dude. pick better gripes lol

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm defending this. I might end up hating this shit too. Carry on being pissy my man

trufenix

bye felicia
Do you realize that a trailer doesnt have to give you jack shit right? A trailer doesnt have to give you a story. Shitty trailers ruin the story for you. A trailer can be good while giving minimally away and a trailer can be good by giving you part of the story.
Im all for being critical but theres a point at which your nitpicks are going way too far given the limited amount of info you have.
shame you're permitted to be excited by a trailer, but I am not permitted to be disappointed. But hey, you're the one jumping all over my opinion so you must be right, right?

trufenix

bye felicia
Uhh nope... as long as you haven't been living under a rock and can recognize a few common movie tropes, all of it is there in the trailer. I mean, no trailer writes a whole dissertation on the movie for you; it's always up to you to fill in some of the blanks.

Not looking to continue a pointless argument with you, friend, but honestly I'm not sure what you're angling at here. If you think the movie looks like trash based on what you've seen, that's fine, whatever--just own your opinion then. Because trying to claim that it's because the trailer "has no information in it" is kind of weird and nonsensical (besides being self-evidently false).
lol, nobody asked you to debate me but thank you for finally decided it is beneath you.

trufenix

bye felicia
Nah, I'd rather have a vague trailer than a trailer that spells out the plot any day. I even wish this trailer didn't show the money shots of the fatals, but its redband and they gotta build hype quick so its cool. I thought Far From Home was good too, it had less explanation cuz its a sequel among many other world building sequels, no?

And its weird your so concerned about audiences unfamiliar with the lore too, like thats your major gripe, that a trailer didn't spell things out for people who probably don't care anyway. Scorpion needs to look directly into the camera and be like "hi, I'm hell specter and vengeful spirit hanzo "scorpion" hasashi. I don't like the ice guy, Sub Zero, because he killed me. The more you knoooooooooooow". so your grandma gets it i guess. Just relax and enjoy (or hate) the movie dude. pick better gripes lol

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm defending this. I might end up hating this shit too. Carry on being pissy my man
Its shocking how many people whose opinion I did not ask for have taken issue with mine, only to later decide its not worth your time. Be sure to send me a link to your amazon review.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
shame you're permitted to be excited by a trailer, but I am not permitted to be disappointed. But hey, you're the one jumping all over my opinion so you must be right, right?
Telling me you liked the trailer or you hated it is an opinion and thats cool.
Saying its bad because it doesnt give anything from the plot isnt an opinion. Its a ridiculous statement given that many trailers that show nothing about the movie can be amazing (The Shinning for ex or Anti-christ, etc)

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
lol, nobody asked you to debate me but thank you for finally decided it is beneath you.
Ha, ok, so if I have this straight: Your new angle is that even though you posted your opinion to a public forum that has no other purpose but to discuss news and opinions, you're now morally indignant because other users weren't aware that they needed your permission to discuss your (now public) opinion? Can I offer you some mustard to go with that pretzel of logic?

And nah, a debate in good faith is not "beneath me" at all-- but sure, if you're more interested in trying to shame people for interacting with you than actually talking about the movie, I guess there's no real discussion to be had. My bad.

Although it's very thin, the trailer actually did reveal the plot. Simply put, chosen fighters join together to battle to defend the Earth realm against Outworld in a tournament called Mortal Kombat. Fighters, in this film, are chosen by a birthmark and not an actual invitational scroll like the 1992 game and 1995 film.

Status
Not open for further replies.