What's new

More on Krypt Chests and Unlockables

Gamer68

Fujin!
Thank you to everyone who has shared their discoveries in The Krypt or have linked useful guides/maps.

EDIT: Full Krypt breakdown with maps and more on IGN: https://www.ign.com/wikis/mortal-kombat-11/Krypt_Walkthrough_and_Guide#Developer_Clarification
^This was posted in it's own thread by @LawAbidingCitizen

EDIT 2: Alternatively, here is a map that a user on Reddit made: https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/bjdlii
^ I believe @HellblazerHawkman and @HeavyNorse were the ones who posted it first here.

About Chests:
  • Normal Chests: Mostly random, both in price and contents. Can contain anything from Variation Icons to Skins, and can cost anywhere from 1000 - 250,000 Koins (apparently that's been the reported cap). However, not all Normal Chests are random as some contain fixed contents. Some of these fixed contents are just Key Items for the Krypt to help you progress, but others seem to be actual unlockables like Concept Art and such. Skins aren't out of the question yet. Example: I was told that a chest in the corner of the room you begin at in the Krypt (the one where you meet Shang Tsung) would contain 3 Jade Concept Art, and sure enough it did.
  • Soul Chests: Costs 100 Souls. Seems to guarantee higher quality items; not necessarily Gear and Skins, but things like rare Key Items and such. Some of these can also have Kollector Trade Items.
  • Hellfire Chests: Costs 100 Hearts. Contents in these chests are fixed.
  • Shao Kahn Chests: Costs 250 Hearts. Contents in these chests are fixed.
  • Kronika Vaults (Chests): Appear at specific locations only at certain times. Costs 5,000 Koins. Seems to guarantee Gear with a high chance of a Skin.
  • Blindfold Chests: These are chests that can only be seen when you have the Blindfold on. The locations ARE NOT random, but the contents are. You use Koins to buy these, and the amount they cost can vary. Most that I've opened have contained a Kollector Trade Item.
  • Special Chests: Some Chests are unique in The Krypt. Example: there is a Submerged Chest in the pond in The Dead Woods that cost 250,000 Koins and 3,000 Souls. The contents are set and it gives you a bunch of skins. There may be more special Chests like this.
Additionally, there are more ways to unlock things in the Krypt:
  • Naknadan Shrine: You can donate Koins here to gain random items in return. The first donation will always give you a Krypt Key Item named Kronika's Amulet, so if it's your first time donating only give 1,000 Koins. After this, donating 75,000 Koins should give you a random Gear piece, and 100,000 Koins should give you a random Skin. Do note that occasionally it will give you an Augment instead of a Gear/Skin. Donating less will give you things like Forge Items, Konsumables, etc. There is an item you can use in The Krypt that will temporarily increase the chances of you getting a rare item from the Shrine.
  • The Kollector: Only appears at certain times, but it seems you can guarantee him to appear by using certain konsumables. When you speak to him, he will offer 5 random trades. Each of these trades require you to use one of the Kollector Trade Items found in Chests I mentioned above earlier. If you have the item(s) he wants, you can trade them in return for FIXED Skin, Gear piece, or Augment. Can be found in Goro's Lair at these coordinates: 6467, -1396. UPDATE BY @Inzzane_79
  • Fighter Heads: If you perform 50 Fatalities (or Brutalities, in any combination apparently) AGAINST a specific fighter, you will be rewarded with their head. In The Krypt by the Warrior Shrine, there is a wall with a spot for each playable fighter in the game. You can impale the fighter head you earned by walking up to their spot on the wall and interacting with it. Doing this will reward you with a bunch of character specific items, including a fixed Skin, Victory Animation, and Gear. Example: If you were to kill (not play as, KILL) Scorpion 50 times with a Fatality, you would earn his head which would allow you to unlock his spot on the wall and you will gain a bunch of items for him. IMPORTANT NOTES: You can unlock a new areas in The Krypt by impaling these heads. Collecting and impaling Cetrion's head will also reward you with her Amulet, which is a Key Item that is apart of a puzzle to unlock an area. Also, impaling any 10 fighter heads will unlock Shang Tsung's Throne Room. Impaling even more heads will eventually unlock more rooms. These areas contain chests (and more), so if you are trying to unlock everything in The Krypt and 100% it, you must do this so you can progress and achieve that.
  • Fire Spider: In Goro's Lair you will eventually get to a Kytinn Hive area, where Fire Spiders roam and try to kill you. It seems the first one you kill (by using your hammer) will always reward you with a fixed D'Vorah Skin named "Water Strider"
  • Demon: When you put on the blindfold, occasionally a demon will charge at you. It's actually possible to kill these demons using your hammer but you have to be quick (pretty much have to swing right after you put on the blindfold). Killing your first demon will reward you with 100 Hearts and a fixed Sub-Zero Skin named "Ice Wine"
  • Statue: When you enter Shang Tsung's Throne Room, go to the room on the left (if unlocked) and make it to the back wall. You will notice that on the right that there is a statue, and on the left there is a place that a statue could be but it's missing. Putting on the blindfold will reveal that there is indeed a statue on the left, and hitting it with the hammer will shatter it and reward you with a bunch of items for Jacqui Briggs including Gear.
  • Reptile: This one can be kinda hard to explain, so I'm linking to a video that has the most up-to-date info currently:
KOMBAT KAST 4/24/2019 UPDATE w/ NEW KRYPT INFO:

When you enter The Krypt, ALL players get the same items assigned to chests. It's just where these items are at exactly is randomized. There are currently 600-ish chests in The Krypt, and if two different players were to buy them all, they would leave with the exact same rewards. Again, all of the rewards are the same, it's just that the location of these items are randomized. Obviously, you can replenish chests for new random rewards.

Updates will be dropping soon that will lower the difficulty of Towers of Time by nerfing things like the unblockable rockets and also reducing how often they appear. Towers will also reward more Koins allowing you to unlock things in The Krypt faster.

There are no direct Krypt updates coming that has been announced, so the way that Chests work doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. HOWEVER! In the future, all players will get 500,000 Koins, 1,000 Souls, 500 Hearts, and 1,000 Time Krystals for FREE. This is enough to get a lot of Normal Chests, 10 Soul Chests, 2 Shao Kahn Chests (or 5 Hellfire Chests), and 2 Skins from the in-game shop or other "premium" items of your choosing.

You can also spend Souls to progress in certain areas of The Krypt, so it may be worth saving those for that.

Last edited:

HAMMER

Noob
Yo. How do you make a thread on this site?

I wanted to ask about the Krypt.

So far, I've completed Story Mode (with every character checked off).

Beat the Klassic Tower with Shao Kahn (the one with 12 fights...or is it 15?), and I beat all of the Tower of Times with Shao Kahn that unlocked other Tower of Times.

Then I was like... <ahhh> time to go to the Krypt and see what I can do. I am one of those dudes who doesn't like to move on if the shit isn't completed (unless I have to); so, can someone tell me if I'm doing this right?

I unlocked all of the chests in the first room, and in the second room. I got Shao Kahn's big dick hammer and hammered it up for the room you started in and the room you get the hammer at. Then I went into the cracked wall on the side and it says the green items with the dead guys are locked. I have gotten every chest I can so far and I broke that big ass chest with all the Jade shit. Right now I tried to do that lever thing but died.

Now I have other shit to do so I'll be back later.

Am I doing this right?

Thanks.

Edit: They're coming out with a patch to decrease the currency needed to purchase the chests? When is that coming out and should I wait to go back to the Krypt until that happens?

I think it's a good thing they have us have to play to unlock all of this shit. Gives incentive to keep going.

<ahhhhh>

The idiots on GameFAQs are a bunch of cry baby bitches!

Inb4 a secret character is found in the Krypt.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Yo. How do you make a thread on this site?

I wanted to ask about the Krypt.

So far, I've completed Story Mode (with every character checked off).

Beat the Klassic Tower with Shao Kahn (the one with 12 fights...or is it 15?), and I beat all of the Tower of Times with Shao Kahn that unlocked other Tower of Times.

Then I was like... <ahhh> time to go to the Krypt and see what I can do. I am one of those dudes who doesn't like to move on if the shit isn't completed (unless I have to); so, can someone tell me if I'm doing this right?

I unlocked all of the chests in the first room, and in the second room. I got Shao Kahn's big dick hammer and hammered it up for the room you started in and the room you get the hammer at. Then I went into the cracked wall on the side and it says the green items with the dead guys are locked. I have gotten every chest I can so far and I broke that big ass chest with all the Jade shit. Right now I tried to do that lever thing but died.

Now I have other shit to do so I'll be back later.

Am I doing this right?

Thanks.

Edit: They're coming out with a patch to decrease the currency needed to purchase the chests? When is that coming out and should I wait to go back to the Krypt until that happens?

I think it's a good thing they have us have to play to unlock all of this shit. Gives incentive to keep going.

<ahhhhh>

The idiots on GameFAQs are a bunch of cry baby bitches!

Inb4 a secret character is found in the Krypt.
  • You can create a thread by going to Forums > Scroll down and click the game/forum you want to post in, in this case Mortal Kombat 11 > The top right of the screen there should be a green button that says "Post thread...", this is how I go about it anyway.
  • It's worth trying to progress in The Krypt. When you open up new doors, it usually rewards you with some Koins and Souls. Getting certain milestones like opening up new areas can even reward you with 25,000 Koins easy. Not to mention you can get new items you can use, one of which allows you to basically get free Hearts as you explore.
  • As for the patch, we don't know when it's coming other than "soon". They said a mini-Kombat Kast is happening tomorrow with new details on the matter, though.

Great thread!

I haven’t been in the Krypt yet myself but have read that normal chests that cost around 6-8k usually give brutalities and fatalities, and ones that cost more than 10k usually give a skin.

Not sure what NRS will do in their patch though and if it will effect this.

Kratilim

Noob
Opposite to the mk1 statues there's a wall with headstones for each character with a box and a prompt for each of them. Anyone found out what these are or how they can be unlocked?

Really, really disappointed with all this. Both the krypt and towers of whatever. The grind in this game is going to be insane, even with a "patch." Like it is designed to be overly complicated and drip fed to people. Really turns me off of the game in general. Wish it was like Injustice 2 where just playing online got you stuff for the character you were playing plus others. Like I wanna be rewarded for playing, not punished.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Thank you for the info! Makes me feel a bit better about the Krypt. Now to find that Cassie and Sonya chest.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Reptile can be found at several locations after finding him the first time. We found him 4 times so far: on the bridge you need to rebuild for 2k souls, in goros lair in different spots. It’s totally random where he is and you can only see and find him with the blindfold on. Smack him with the hammer to get 200 souls every time. Might be more for finding him more often.

Shinnoks amulet needs to be crafted at the forge and requires an item that you get from the tree that costs 10k souls! Yes 10,000 souls. I got lucky on a daylie reward which gave me 10k

Still don’t know how to craft or find the last amulet to solve the Kytinn hive puzzle

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Also, shao kahn chest content being fixed is looking confirmed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/bgrq1t
This makes me feel better already. I’m glad there are preset character chests for skins and brutalities. This is exactly what I wanted. If everything else is random, all the dumb little shit, that’s perfectly fine.

Now does anyone know if you can reset them and get new items?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Basically shit.
Waiting for the patch Boon was talking about.
250000 for a chest is ridiculous
It's incredible to me.

I rarely criticize NRS because I genuinely believe they love their fans and are one of the best developers out there . . . but it really feels like no one tested the krypt. Coins would have to be given out at 2 or 3 times the rate that they are currently distributed for those prices to make any sense.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Reptile can be found at several locations after finding him the first time. We found him 4 times so far: on the bridge you need to rebuild for 2k souls, in goros lair in different spots. It’s totally random where he is and you can only see and find him with the blindfold on. Smack him with the hammer to get 200 souls every time. Might be more for finding him more often.

Shinnoks amulet needs to be crafted at the forge and requires an item that you get from the tree that costs 10k souls! Yes 10,000 souls. I got lucky on a daylie reward which gave me 10k
Where is this tree at?

Inzzane_79

Where is this tree at?
In the dead woods area where you have to destroy a wall to get into (beginning area where you get the hammer). Walk straight and turn sharp left and walk back, looks like a normal green glowing thing but costs 10k souls

Gamer68

Fujin!
In the dead woods area where you have to destroy a wall to get into (beginning area where you get the hammer). Walk straight and turn sharp left and walk back, looks like a normal green glowing thing but costs 10k souls
Thanks!

10,000 Souls in insane. Hope the patch fixes that price.

Inzzane_79

Thanks!

10,000 Souls in insane. Hope the patch fixes that price.
I got 10k souls as a daylie reward ;)

The item from that tree is needed to craft shinnoks amulet which is needed to open a door

My krypt is almost done, only missing one last amulet so if you have questions just ask and I try to help as good as I can

Edit: there are items that reduce the cost of chests and even an item that lets you open chests for free (works on heart chests!)

The 250k chest contains a tower key. That tower can be grinded forever and has 75k coin rewards sometimes and always 5 new keys (same tower). I‘m sitting on 270 keys now after grinding that tower for a while.

Also got a head after killing Kollector 50 times with a fatality. Heads can be used outside next to the shrine. You get an achievement and skins and a victory pose

Gamer68

Fujin!
New info from the Kombat Kast:

When you enter The Krypt, ALL players get the same items assigned to chests. It's just where these items are at exactly is randomized. There are currently 600-ish chests in The Krypt, and if two different players were to buy them all, they would leave with the exact same rewards. Again, all of the rewards are the same, it's just that the location of these items are randomized. Obviously, you can replenish chests for new random rewards.

Updates will be dropping soon that will lower the difficulty of Towers of Time by nerfing things like the unblockable rockets and also reducing how often they appear. Towers will also reward more Koins allowing you to unlock things in The Krypt faster.

There are no direct Krypt updates coming that has been announced, so the way that Chests work doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. HOWEVER! In the future, all players will get 500,000 Koins, 1,000 Souls, 500 Hearts, and 1,000 Time Krystals for FREE. This is enough to get a lot of Normal Chests, 10 Soul Chests, 2 Shao Kahn Chests (or 5 Hellfire Chests), and 2 Skins from the in-game shop or other "premium" items of your choosing.

Inzzane_79

Souls needed for different stuff:

10,000 souls are needed for the tree that gives you the item to craft shinnoks amulet

2,000 souls are needed to rebuild the bridge

3,000 souls are needed to raise the riverchest (250k coins chest)

So save those souls and don’t use them to open the soul chests or whatever they are called