What's new

Combo List - Sub-Zero Monster Punish Guide

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Title says it all really. Sub-Zero is capable of some of the heaviest punishes in the game. The likes of which will have opponents scared to challenge Sub-Zero's corner game, despite an unsafe combo ender, for fear of losing massive amounts of health in trying.

Theory:

Armored wake-up's will ruin Grandmaster Sub-Zero's corner clone set-up unless he ends combos with f12. Unfortunately, it is not his most damaging ender. He leaves some damage on the table in exchange for an air tight strategy.

Furthermore, experienced opponents have come to recognize this fact and will typically respond with an armored wake-up if they see GM end combos with slide and still attempt to clone afterwards. The "wake-up" portion is key here. If the opponent does not input the armored special command during the wake-up window, the clone attempt is again, safe (there are few exceptions to this rule such as Lao's MB spin and Reptiles MB Slide, and even those require pretty impeccable timing in order to beat clone without using the wake-up window).

The idea here is to use slide ender as a bait, to feign a clone, and use icy vanity in combo to discourage challenging a clone in the future. The other stipulation is that the optimal combos are only possible vs. advancing specials which push GM further out of the corner. All practical examples will be included/ updated here.

• Step one: Establish the opponent knows slide ender > clone is not safe, train them to punish it.
  • Step B: End in slide > clone, input down back block instead of down back 2 and block the wake-up.
  • Step three: ???
  • Step four: Profit. Punish for 50%, and clone right in their face after ending in slide to see if they have the bawls to test Sub-Zero again.
NOTE: This is just one application of these punishes. Be aware of your screen position and use these accordingly.

Practice:

B12 xx MB Ice Statue, B2, 24 xx Shatter, 123 xx Slide - 49%

Works Vs.

• Kung Lao: Hat Trick/ Buzz Saw, Vortex

• Jax: All, Overhead Dash Fist

• Sonya: All, Leg Slam

• Kenshi: Kenjutsu, Sword Dance

• Kitana: All, Rising Fans

• Scorpion: All, Take Out

• Takeda: All, Fist Whirlwind

• Kung Jin: Bojutsu, Low Bo Spin

• Shinnok: Bone Shaper, Scepter Launch

• Erron Black: All, Slide Shots

• Raiden: All, Bobalay

• Alien: All, Tail Slam

• Leatherface: Slaughter House

• Triborg: Cyber Sub-Zero, Slide and Strike

B12 xx MB Ice Statue, RC B12 xx Shatter, 242, 123 xx Slide - 51%
  • Takeda: Ronin, Double Shirai Ryu Kan

• Tanya: All, Split Flip Kick

• Predator: All, Scimitar Slam

• Leatherface: Butcher, Mallet Slam

B12 xx MB Ice Statue, RC F42 xx Shatter, 242, 123 xx Slide - 48%
  • Pretty much just Shinnok.
Incorporate into your MU knowledge! And these are just to show possibilities, and are not meant to be final despite combos being referred to as "optimal." I encourage you to find your own methods/ combos and expand upon the ideas here. This is application of @Dankster Morgan thread here

-LINK COMING SOON-

Obvious limitations here are execution and the stance specific B12 xx MB clone issue. As a side note, these combos can be applied to nearly every character in the game (D'Vorah and Cassie are safe) pending SZ reads a wake-up and in turn, spaces accordingly. If you'd like me to include that list, let me know and I'll edit the OP. Please comment with questions and/ or concerns.

@boba_buster
@STB BroZki
@Tom Brady
@Madzin

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Great job Ree, you are the Grandmaster today! Lol at Sub-Zero being considered a low damage character. I'll have a thread finished soon with a guide to using the ex clone if anyone is interested.