What's new

Money Matches VS Casuals

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Apparently, the FGC has been going back n forth about the debate of Money Matches VS Casuals.

I have no idea how game setups work at tournaments/venues so maybe somebody can give Uncle JBeezY an explanation how that works. But the whole jist of the argument is some Top Players feel if money is on the line to squash a beef with another player, that should take priority over somebody playing a casual match. In other words, if people have waited in line to play a game, some Top players feel they should give up their seat to handle their money match. Of course, the opposition is HELL NAH! YOU WAIT YOUR TURN!

What do you guys think and how do you feel about this subject ?Question mark?

Let's have a discussion ;)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I think it’s BS. Technically you can claim it’s a MM and put $1 down just to “skip the line”, or just lie entirely so you can play as long as you’d like. Just say it’s a MM, ft20 or something ridiculous like that. I understand MM’s are more important than casuals, but you still should wait your turn if there’s no more available setups. Otherwise, this line of reasoning is heavily exploitable.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I think it’s BS. Technically you can claim it’s a MM and put $1 down just to “skip the line”, or just lie entirely so you can play as long as you’d like. Just say it’s a MM, ft20 or something ridiculous like that. I understand MM’s are more important than casuals, but you still should wait your turn if there’s no more available setups. Otherwise, this line of reasoning is heavily exploitable.
PAUSE! People actually ONLY put down $1 just to claim a spot over everybody else? Hahahhaha

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
PAUSE! People actually ONLY put down $1 just to claim a spot over everybody else? Hahahhaha
It's not like you'll have Sonic MMing Mena for $2000, people are still broke. I saw one guy make a thing and act like a dude pulling in $200 over a weekend was a big deal.

But yeah, the whole thing is bullshit, including 'top players' being given priority on setups. As long as people aren't hogging a machine, wait your turn.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
It's not like you'll have Sonic MMing Mena for $2000, people are still broke. I saw one guy make a thing and act like a dude pulling in $200 over a weekend was a big deal.

But yeah, the whole thing is bullshit, including 'top players' being given priority on setups. As long as people aren't hogging a machine, wait your turn.
I mean, what happened to bringing your own? When I was at EVO, a fellow Smash Melee player actually invited me to HIS station to play.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
One of the only two times a top player was crappy to me was when he tried to kick me off a setup to practice for top 8...which I knew he wasn't in. You should never let someone kick you off a casual station unless it's the TO or you've been at it for more than 45 minutes and someone else asks nicely. We all paid the same to get into the venue. I don't give a rats a$$ about your money match.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If two guys are willing to put money on the line, and you're not doing something mission-critical, like warming up for a match you're about to play in a few mins, let em play. Beef-squashing and hype is good for everybody.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I saw a lot of this hog shit and its dumb as hell.

You wait your fucking turn, if its pressing and you knew about it ahead of timewhy the fuck didn't you bring your own setup, or settle this in the hotel room where you also should have your own setup.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Honestly, as dumb as it sounds, one way to solve the problem is have a sign in sheet, lol. Say you wanna MM, just sign who you’re playing and the time and MAYBE the $ amount. If someone is playing casuals at that time, they have to finish the match and let you play. This seems unnecessary but I don’t know what other solutions there can be other than simply wait your turn.

Matix218

Get over here!
Honestly, as dumb as it sounds, one way to solve the problem is have a sign in sheet, lol. Say you wanna MM, just sign who you’re playing and the time and MAYBE the $ amount. If someone is playing casuals at that time, they have to finish the match and let you play. This seems unnecessary but I don’t know what other solutions there can be other than simply wait your turn.
Just have one or two setups that are dedicated Money Match setups and use a sign up sheet like you said. That way casuals and money matches never mix. Once all money matches are done, then use those setups for casuals.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Just have one or two setups that are dedicated Money Match setups and use a sign up sheet like you said. That way casuals and money matches never mix. Once all money matches are done, then use those setups for casuals.
What if people wanna money match for 25 cents? That basically means they get on that setup for free. Where's the line?

Matix218

Get over here!
What if people wanna money match for 25 cents? That basically means they get on that setup for free. Where's the line?
No .25 money matches, no $1 money matches. If you want to play a money match just make the rule be $10 or $20 minimum and at most first to 5 (no ft10 or 20 etc). All you have to do is have rules so people can't exploit it. It's not rocket science...

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
No .25 money matches, no $1 money matches. If you want to play a money match just make the rule be $10 or $20 minimum and at most first to 5 (no ft10 or 20 etc). All you have to do is have rules so people can't exploit it. It's not rocket science...
I dunno man, setting an arbitrary dollar value doesn’t seem like a good solution to me, but maybe others will agree with you

Matix218

Get over here!
I dunno man, setting an arbitrary dollar value doesn’t seem like a good solution to me, but maybe others will agree with you
I think you could totally set a common minimum dollar value. Generally a real money match is at minimum $20 on the line from my experience. If you want to use the MM setup(s) that is the minimum. Anything less just consider it casuals and wait your turn on a casuals setup.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Should just be simple arcade rules for casuals. You win, you keep your seat.. you loose.. next guys turn.. when it is your turn.. you can make a bet. It is so simple no one can do it.

Should just be simple arcade rules for casuals. You win, you keep your seat.. you loose.. next guys turn.. when it is your turn.. you can make a bet. It is so simple no one can do it.
^This.

Unless the people on the setup agree to let u play your money match then just wait your turn. Back in the day if you went to a tournament they usually had a money match setup in one of the hotel rooms and anyone wanting to play for money would just go in that room and play.

In the arcades way back the rule was either public challenge someone and go straight to playing or wait for the cabinet to open up. You couldn't bump anyone off just to play your sets.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I think this idea is actually brilliant! Why not have a completely different section strictly for Money matches so it won't interfere with the casuals. Two different vibes, two different areas. Not sure about the whole sign up sheet thing....that could be a bit messy. People could be late, miss their turn, then come in late thinking they still have priority.....its a mess. Fuck the sign up sheet! The MONEY on the line should already be an incentive enough for your ass to be on time. Its called discipline! The sign up sheet will not teach these youngn's that. :)

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I mean, i know gamers aren't rich, but 10 dollars is a bit bummy to bet on. At least $20 is pretty adequate of an amount.

SEE GUYS! FGC CAN FIND SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING! I love you guys :)
STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT COMPLAINING BEFORE WE START TO COMPLAIN ABOUT YOU brewh