What's new

Guide - Acidic Molecular Acid? That's Quite A Defense Mechanism: The Ultimate Acidic Guide(Updated 4-2-16)

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure

You Have Any Idea How Much That Stings?

Legend

RC= Run Cancel
EX=Enhanced Special
XX=Cancel
QD=Quick Dash(Enhanced Low Crawl)
ES=Exo Sting
EXP=Exo Splash(Enhanced Exo Sting)

AB=Acid Blood
EB=Erosive Blood(Enhanced Acid Blood)

1=X/Square(PS4)
2=Y/Triangle(PS4)
3=A/X(PS4)
4=B/Circle(PS4)

About Acidic & General Gameplan
The Acid of the Xenomoprh is a highly corrosive substance that is capable of burning through virtually any natural or man-made material in short order. While the use of potent acid for blood provides the creature with an obvious defensive mechanism, the fluid's primary purpose is in fact in providing the Xenomorph with its energy. Alien can use this acid to control the space of the screen, zone out opponents, and more importantly apply heaps of damage over time with adequate pressure! Use the reach of your normals to your advantage to control the games pace and force your opponent into a mistake that will cost them big chunks if played correctly. One last note, if you are trapped in a corner by this mammoth, pray you make it out, you'll need it.

Variation Specific Normals/Specials

The Numbers you see next to the normals and specials will be the frame data in this order. Start Up,Block Advantage,Hit Advantage, and Recovery Frames.

U3(9 / -2 / 19 / 14)- An amazing anti-air tool that reaches full screen with the help of the acid that sprays from the tip of the tail. Use this to check opponents trying to jump over your Exo Sting space pressure.You will also use this in certain corner combos depending on what you want to get out of the combo.

D4(12 / -12 / 20 / 19)- This is your check poke when you are just outside of F4 range and you want to keep your opponent out of your zone. It also has tick damage from the acid that drips off of the end of the tail which does 4% on hit and 0.60% on block. This can be used with B3 and Tail Snag to catch opponents trying to jump or press any buttons after you have hit them with it. I would go for D4, Tail Snag because you are safe at max range with that tactic.

DB,2[Exo Sting](16 / -8 / 6 / -47)- Mid hitting projectile that reaches mid screen and can be placed close and full screen. This can also be done in the air which reaches about the same range as the grounded one. The air Exo Sting can be enhanced and reaches full screen while airborne.

DB,2+Block[Exo Splash](18 / 1 / 13 /-50)- The enhanced version of Exo Sting. It shoots 2 spits of acid in which the first shot hits full screen and the other hits mid screen. Very useful for full screen pressure that sets up the space control with the second shot. Opens up the chance to go ahead and apply acid to the ground.

*Important Note: All Forms Of Exo Sting Stops The Opponent From Being Able To Run*

DB,4[Acid Blood](17 / -8 / 1/ -296)- Mid hitting projectile that leaves opponent in a re-stand and does damage over time. It does 13% on hit and 7.25% on block. This move is a crucial part of his vortex and damage.

DB4+Block[Erosive Blood](18 / -8 / 8 / -301)-Enhanced version of acid blood. It does more damage than the normal version, slightly more plus frames on hit, and does tons of damage over time to a cornered opponent that can grant you some great meterless damage.

Universal Specials

Tail Flip-BF,4(-7 Block Adv)
Tail Slam-BF,4+Block(Launches for full combo)[-17 Block Adv]
^Can Be Done In The Air Also^
Xeno Strike-DF,3(Great Anti Air Option)[-17 Block Adv]
Xeno Pounce-DF,3+Block(-17 Block Adv)
Low Crawl-BF,1(-17 Block Adv)
Quick Dash-BF,1+Block(Causes A Restand)[-17 Block]

Since this is an Acidic guide, I will only post tech, combos, and game-plans that revolve around Acidic only. If you want to see a full combo thread, you can refer to this.This guide will have a few universal combos, optimal vortex combos, and optimal damage combos. I don't want to clutter the thread with combos you shouldn't be thinking about mid game. This will have the best possible combo from each punish,best string,best anti air,and best pressure starter.

Optimal Punishes/Best Pressure Strings

Narcissus (B1,1,U4 )[-14 Block Adv ] 9 Frame High. Highly Recommend only using this for punishes.

Zeta II (F1,3,4)[-9 Block Adv] 11 Frame advancing mid. It's decent but don't just throw it out on block without cancelling it into Tail Flip or Acid Blood(more recommended). This is actually your best pressure string as it is an advancing mid and due to the last part of the string being a low, you have a mix up option with this into tail flip.

Kanes Son(2,1,4)[-14 Block Adv] 12 Frame high, decent punish. Just another option to have if you happen to hit this button during the match. This string also ends in a low so there is another mix up opportunity with Tail Flip here.

Best Normals

B3(-9 Block Adv) 18 Frame Mid screen hitting low tail attack that can be special cancelled. When used correctly, it's a very deadly footsie tool and pretty much the best one in the game. Beware of jump ins at it's max range because he lunges forward and you will get heavily punished if you just throw this out all willy nilly on someone who jumps over you a ton. At close range and in the corner it also combos into Acid blood.
Keep in mind this is safe from max range when used with Tail Snag & Tail Flip.

F4(-17 Block Adv) 17 Frame overhead that has really decent range since it hits from sweep distance. It also connects with Acid Blood in a combo and can be special cancelled into any other special as well. You can use this with Acid Blood on block to confirm safety, or if you want to be risky you can use it with Tail Snag & Tail Flip for 50/50's.

U3 And D4 Were Explained Above

Anti Airs

U3(Jump Ins, Fullscreen Jumps)
D1(Crossovers)
Standing 1(Crossovers,Certain Jump Ins)
Xeno Strike(Jump Ins)
Tail FlipJump Ins)
Acid Blood(Jump Ins)

D2[7 Frames](Jump Ins,Crossovers)

General Gameplan Revisited & Neutral Game

As you can probably see, Alien is negative on pretty much everything. He only has one good mid string and he is heavily reliant on it. That means almost exclusively you will be cancelling into Tail Flip or Acid Blood for safety. He generally revolves around a defensive play style using his acid to keep opponents away and using his far reaching normals to start his offense when its his turn. If you prefer a more space control,zone, and defensive style you will want to focus on whiff punishing with B3 and F1. If you are the more aggressive type, you want to rely on his pressure strings cancelled into his Acid Blood or his 50/50 game. Be careful when cancelling into Acid Blood because there is a GAP IN EVERY STRING WHEN U CANCEL INTO IT EXCEPT FOR THESE:
F2,3
B1,1

Vortex Game

After the March 29th,2016 patch NRS released a patch that toned down Aliens hit advantage on Acid Blood. Many people thought that it killed the variation and that he was no longer good for vortex. This was incorrect. The frame data says that it is +1 on block but it's actually much more positive. Credit Users @Asodimazze & @SkyratiK for finding this out. Its at least +18 and you are guaranteed at least a F1. Now this is space dependent so for the most part, I will be adding the BEST and most useful vortex setups to ensure u get the most plus frames as possible. All the high damage vortex mid screen and corner combos will be posted here. If you want to see everything vortex related, please refer to this.

In a nutshell, Aliens vortex revolves around him ending combos in either 33 Acid Blood, or F2,3 Acid Blood. Some of the setups grant you as much as 40%, others as low as 24%.

Below I will post what Aliens suggested vortex should look like. It will be a corner and midscreen one for all intent and purposes. All Midscreen vortex combos should end in F23 xx Acid Blood and corner vortex should end in 33 xx Acid Blood. The combos will be listed after the vortex showcase vids.

Midscreen Vortex Ending In F23 xx Acid Blood

Example:

All of your midscreen combos should end in F23 Acid Blood no matter the starter if you want the vortex.Keep In mind the opponent can backdash out of the setup unless you are doing B2. If they are blocking the overhead and respecting you, there are a plethora of options for you to do. B3,F4,Tail Snag, And Tail Flip just to name a few. The opponent cannot do anything unless they backdash in which u can catch them so they are forced to block your mix up. If they backdash and you catch them with B2, thats a full combo punish for you.

Corner Vortex Ending in 33 x Acid Blood
Example:

All of your corner combos should end in 33 Acid Blood no matter the starter if you want the vortex.
**Very important thing to know about the corner vortex. Since being +18 is space dependent, up very close in the corner your are only +1 as the frame data suggest. This means that the mindgames change up quite a bit here. If your opponent knows they can jump out you can go for these options**:

NJP
1,1,2 xx Acid Blood( Back Into Restand) Or this will grant you a hard knock down with 2 acid puddles already stacking on the opponent which means big big damage.

Example:
The Jump Out

To sum this all up, midscreen if you go for vortex, you should be ending in F23 xx Acid Blood jailed into B2 or mixing the opponent up with B3 if they are respecting the B2. If you go for the corner vortex and they know to jump out, catch em with a 1,1,2 xx Acid Blood as the optimal way to keep corner pressure because 1,1,2 xx Acid Blood has no gaps which means they are forced to block it all, meanwhile you are safe.

His vortex game took a hit in the last patch no doubt, that doesn't mean its gone. If anything they made it more of a read and react instead of auto pilot restand free pressure where you are forced to eat everything. If you use it correctly, you will be very hard to beat. Acidic isn't necessarily meant to be a strictly vortex this is a tool in the tool set and a very good one. He also gets access to another great told in his reset options which i will explain briefly below.

Resets

Here i will explain and show how you can reset the opponent after you have conditioned them with your vortex game. This isn't something you have to do but it is here as another wrench in the box and its very effective. This was shown to me by @SkyratiK so this credit goes to him entirely.

After an ex crawl, you can do either B2 or B3. They do not link, but they do jail after ex crawl. If you do B3 xx Acid Blood, you are safe against everyone in the cast. B3 xx Exo Sting is completely safe against everyone.The idea behind this is to use it when the opponent is expecting B2 after your vortex. Instead you are stopping the vortex completely and going for a reset.

Example:

Vortex Combos
These combos will be the best possible damage you can get,practical to do in a real match, and will be compatible with punishes.

About Ticking Damage & DOT

U3 Initial Damage-5%, 10 Ticks at .25 For A Total Of 7.5%. U3 Has Damage Scaling During His Juggles. Its Slight But It's There. It Brings Each Of The DOT Ticks On U3 From .25 Down To About .17

D4 Initial Damage-3%, 10 Ticks at .1 For A Total Of 4%

Acid Blood Initial Damage-2%, 20 Ticks At .5 For A Total Of 12%

EX Acid Blood Initial Damage-6%, 10 Ticks[Midscreen] At .5 For A Total Of 11%. Corner Is 20 Ticks At .5 For 17%

Exo Sting Initial Damage-3%,10 Ticks At .5 For A Total Of 8%

EX Exo Sting Initial Damage On The FIRST Hit Is 3% & 2nd Hit Is 2.4% So If Both Hits Connect, Total Damage Is 5.4% Excluding The DOT.(For Some Reason There Is One Tick Of .4 Damage Before The 20 Ticks Of .5,So The Total Tick Damage 10.4. If The First Hit Misses & 2nd Hit Connects, Initial Damage Is 3% Its 4% DOT.)

[The extra damage from ticking at the end of the combo will be added into damage percentages. Please note, the damage in these combos will be determined if your opponent is standing in the puddle for max time. Its pretty much impossible to judge the damage if they get out of the puddle after already being hit with Acid Blood. This is ACID BLOOD Specific, all other combos with other enders are EXACT damage properties.]

***Keep In Mind The Exo Sting/Acid Blood Damage Gets Added To The Combo Damage. With EX Acid Blood/Acid Blood, There's An Initial +1 From The DOT Added To The Combo Damage***

1 Bar Midscreen
B11U4 rc, B11U4 rc ,F23 xx Ex Crawl, F23 xx Acid Blood - 42%
F134 xx Ex Crawl, F23 xx Acid Blood -36%
214, Ex Crawl xx F23 xx Acid Blood-32%
Ex Tail Flip, rc, 33 xx Acid Blood-24%

1 Bar Corner
[In the corner we will not be utilizing B11U4 Since you would switch corner positions doing so.]
F134 xx Ex Tail Flip, NJP, U3,33 xx Acid Blood-45%
214 xx Ex Tail Flip, NJP, U3, 33 xx Acid Blood-40%

B3/F4 xx Ex Tail Flip,U3,NJP,U3,33 xx Acid Blood-48%

Meterless Corner
B11U4,D1,NJP,U3,D4 xx Acid Blood-40.5%

**Credit To @SkyratiK **

Damage Combos

1 Bar Midscreen
B11U4,rc, B11U4,rc, F23 xx Ex Crawl,F23434 xx Exo Sting-39%
F134 xx Ex Crawl,B11U4, rc , F23434 xx Exo Sting-40%
214 xx Ex Tail Flip, rc, F134 xx Xeno Strike-33%

Ex Tail Flip,rc, B11U4,rc,F23 xx Xeno Strike-29%

Meterless Midscreen
B11U4,rc, B11U4,rc,F23 xx Exoo Sting-31%

F234 xx Xeno Strike-23%
214 xx Xeno Strike-18%

1 Bar Corner
F134 xx Ex Tail Flip, NJP, U3,F134 xx Xeno Strike-43%
214 xx Ex Tail Flip, NJP, U3,F134 xx Xeno Strike-38%
F4 xx Ex Tail Flip, NJP,U3,F134 xx Xeno Strike-37%
B3 xx Ex Tail Flip, NJP,U3,F134 xx Xeno Strike-37%

Meterless Corner
B11U4,B11U4,F134 xx Xeno String-31%
214 xx Acid Blood-21%
F134 xx Acid Blood-26%

Closing Remarks
Well folks there you have it. Everything TO MY KNOWLEDGE about Acidic Alien. This guide will be updated regularly and if anyone else finds things i didn't post OR I miss anything(somehow), PLEASE tell me. I'd like to personally thank @SkyratiK for helping with the guide. We underwent an incredible amount of math to try and slice up the ticking damage and stuff so we did our best. Hopefully if you are thinking of picking up this character you enjoy the guide and hopefully you have fun playing him. He's definitely STILL a good character he just takes a brain to use now!

@SkyratiK
@I GOT HANDS
@Sage Leviathan
@Alien Substance
@DarksydeDash
@Asodimazze
@EdenianWarrior
@KingKhrystopher
@ArmedCalf
@ABACABB
@Tweedy
@MyronJ
@Pterodactyl

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
A good start, but you should beef it up with a combo section, vortex setups, hit corner game, general strategy and tips on how to deal with some of his troublesome matchups.

x TeeJay o

A good start, but you should beef it up with a combo section, vortex setups, hit corner game, general strategy and tips on how to deal with some of his troublesome matchups.
thanks it's still in progress. im in practice now finalizing everything. it will have gifs, vortex game, damage game, everything anyone would need. trust me!

x TeeJay o

Best thread on tym :D Any new alien player will find here all he needs to be good with acidic :) great job :)

oh and you forgot to add midscreen combos starting with ex flip :
ex flip run 33acid blood = vortex
ex flip run b11u4 f23xeno strike = dmg
will add soon! completely forgot about that ha. thank you !

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
You can get better damage for the vortex from acid blood : f134 ex krawl b11u4 RC b11 acid blood.

x TeeJay o

You can get better damage for the vortex from acid blood : f134 ex krawl b11u4 RC b11 acid blood.
yeah but thats really execution heavy. i was just adding combos that did great damage while still being really easy to do in a match consistently

SkyratiK

The game session is no longer available.
Some people might want a general reference compiled into a single thread lol.

insignis

Noob
is it me or b11u4,b11u4,b11~blood doesn't work anymore? trying on Sub-Zero and can't connect blood anymore :(

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
B11U4 in general is a pretty finicky string. I prefer using 12 Tail Flip for meterless punish, or F134 if the punish window is large.

SkyratiK

B11U4 in general is a pretty finicky string. I prefer using 12 Tail Flip for meterless punish, or F134 if the punish window is large.
How do you figure? Im not trying to be a jerk just curious. It's super fast and it's advancing so even on moves that push you back you can usually still hit it.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
The B1 hitbox in itself kind of sucks, so there's a good chance that unless your opponent is point blank or is incredibly negative, you will whiff.

Then on top of that, the B11U4, B11U4 link can be tricky depending on spacing and character hitbox. Messing up leads to Alien whiffing, where he has a ton of recovery frames.

Finally, standing 1 starts up in 8 frames vs B1 startup at 9 frames. Considering you would want to use these normals to punish things that are around -10, l would prefer to use the faster option. Also, 112 and 12 OH flip are both safe if I do miss the punish timing, while B11U4 is -14 and unsafe, and B113 cancelled into OH flip has a gap.

SkyratiK

I don't see why every has a problem with b11u4 but I see where youre coming from.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
When you are in a tournament setting, you want to go for the easiest and safest option available in most cases. Plus, the damage you would lose from a combo starting with B11U4 can easily be made up for with a couple acid sprays/puddles. Acidic doesn't lack for damage potential.

SkyratiK

Oh I know that I said I agree, just said idk what the issue is with double b11u4. I know he doesnt lack damage.