What's new

MLG - New York Details Released, "Mortal Kombat!"

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Today further details of the New York City Major League Gaming event were given on the MLG site. On April 28th, both Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V will go to war once again for players to battle their way through for the 1st place prize of $1,500. Both games have a prize pool of $3,4o0 and the Top 6 will be awarded with monies. We should note that this isn't exactly an everyday thing for MLG to give "fighting games" space in their arena like this, however, with the overwhelming success these games had with the "hype!" of it all added in to it... MLG is bringing the fighting games back and in New York City!

Additionally to this, at all expenses paid, MLG will be flying the Top 8 of both games to compete in New York City for the $3,400 prize pool.

Full details here:

The Fighting game community came out in force to the MLG Winter Championship in Columbus, and we’re incredibly pleased to announce that Fighters will be a huge part of the Spring Season as well.
Fighter Arena: April 28, featuring Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V Powered by PlayStation
For the first time, we are expanding our Arena offerings beyond StarCraft II, with our first-ever Fighter Arena on Saturday, April 28 at the MLG Studio in New York City. The event will feature popular games Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V on the PlayStation®3 (PS3™ system).
MLG will be flying in the Top 8 finishers for each game from the Winter Championship, all expenses paid.
The Spring Fighter Arena will be broadcast LIVE online – standard definition viewing will be free, and HD viewing passes will be available for $4.99. The full broadcast schedule and additional details will be released in the coming weeks.
$3,400 is on the line for each game:
  • 1st Place: $1,500
  • 2nd Place: $900
  • 3rd/4th Place: $500
  • 3rd/4th Place: $500
Arena format (format is the same for both Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V):
Pool Play
  • All Matches will be a Best of 5
  • 2 Pools of 4 Players
  • Top 2 Players from each Pool will advance into the Bracket
Bracket
  • Single Elimination
  • 2 Semifinal Matches
    • 1st Place of Pool A will play against 2nd Place of Pool B
    • 1st Place of Pool B will play against 2nd Place of Pool A
  • Winner from each Semifinal Match will play in the Finals
Spring Championship: June 8-10 featuring Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur V, and KING OF FIGHTERS XIII Powered by PlayStation®
The Spring Championship in Anaheim, CA on June 8-10 will feature Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur V, and KING OF FIGHTERS XIII on the PlayStation®3 (PS3™). We’re working on some changes to the floor stations and the general layout that will improve the live experience for competitors and spectators. We’ll release additional details on that, prizing, rules and competition formats for each game soon.
Venue spectator passes for the Spring Championship are available now and competitor passes will be available on May 1 at 7pm ET.
Stay tuned for more information regarding fighters and additional Spring games.

Source: MLG & Sabin
mlgfg.jpg

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I don't really understand this format.

So on April 28, there will just be pools? And 2 people make it out of pools (4 pools total?), and then at some other time there will be top 8 playing eachother?

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
oh i'm in there for sure, first tourney yay, i need to level up people add me on psn maybe try to make it out to vsm again to level my offline play too

wait am confused is this only for people that made top 8 at their last mlg event? :confused: :(

This is a Top 8 invitational. If it's like SC2's Arena, they fly out and house the Top 8 players for this tournament. The weird thing will be that it's held in the MLG offices in New York City, and due to space constraints, there is NO live audience. The entire arena (both SCV and MK) will be run on Saturday.

Hope that helps clear some stuff up.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
man fuck that, hold a freakin event in nyc for fuck's sake so i can go!!!!!! damn it my hopes have been destroyed i was so excited when i read it, now am totally crushed :(

they are also flying 2 sc5 players from france, so don't act like they are beign cheap because new york owns mk =P

anyways should be interesting with the pools format will be cool to see everyone play each other. Hope to see a Reo vs Curbo rematch

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Yea this is a special invite only MLG arena event. The top 8 from columbus will basically duke it out in a different format.

Sabin

Elder God
I can possibly bring a guest to spectate this..more details later. Mk illuminati if you wanna spec this contact me :)

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
LOL, they don't have to pay shit to get the top 8 players there outside of D.B.

VSM Thursday, but there's money involved.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Everyone needs to stop complaining, This is a great opportunity for the VSM guys, Curbo and Detroit to win some more money as well as spectate top level play to the casual fan. Good shit MLG, look forward to watching.

It's not their fault 7 guys were from NY for MK9 but SC5 has people coming from France.

It's top 4 gets paid, not top 6.

Essentially, you play round robin in pools. Top 2 players advance into the money round, which is single elim. Presumably pools will be balanced so that they have the following:

Pool A:
#1 CD Jr.
#4 Curbolicious
#5 KT Smith/Riu48
#7 CD/DetroitBalln

Pool B:
#2 REO
#3 Maxter
#5 KT Smith/Riu48
#7 CD/DetroitBalln

EDIT: Note that double elimination here is removed in place of pool ROUND ROBIN play. So its not technically single elim until the money rounds.

A few things to comment on here (yes I am the guy that runs MLG day to day operations):
-We cannot control the fact that so many players are from New York City. If they were from the South Pole we would still get them to the event. MLG lucked out this time on money but it may not be that way every time.
-This is not a traditional tournament per usual MLG standards; i.e. double elimination. We only have 2 stations and are doing our best to make this a real TV quality event in terms of focused air times. 4 hours for MK and 4 hours for SC on the broadcast. With players a full round robin within their respective pools, we feel that players will have ample time to prove their worth for the bracket.
-Every player can bring 2 guests. Reach out to qualified players to get on their list. If you happen to live in NYC and want to attend, I will personally be allowing spectators in on a very, very limited RSVP basis. Email me directly at [email protected]

We are trying to build this community up within MLG. We are doing our best to adhere to long standing practices, traditions, and expectations of the MK community, but please also work with us to find some common ground. We are not the enemy, and we are not idiots when it comes to live tournaments. Over 10 years we have operated nearly 100 large scale live events processing well over 150,000 competitors within that time span. We are trying our best to do this the right way and will adjust as we learn. Thanks for the feedback and I hope you tune in (or attend) on April 28th.

sn1kzZe

Noob
Will this have HD stream ppv aswell?

I dunno about this SC2 format, its like bringing outdoor sport to a chess tournament, mk needs the crowd hype to be good!

But we should support it anyway, mlg + mk = <3