What's new

MLG Columbus Winter Championships Review by Apex Series|Alex Strife

ApexSeries

Planning Apex 2014
It has been a very interesting weekend for the fighting game community. We had the great honor of having two amazing events on the same weekend. This, however, is not about both those events but the event everyone was looking to with untrusting eyes. Of course I am speaking about MLG Columbus. With many skeptics in the community, this was looked at with the worry of a parent’s eye wondering if things would work out between the two groups. While this is not an article about the event itself, this is about the stream and the casual experience for all video game enthusiasts.

For me, I have been one that has always wanted every community to work together. From my humble days a fan boy of Team Hate (bonus points if you remember them) to me running my own international events, I have enjoyed watching communities cross pollinate. MLG was no exception as the figurehead of competitive Halo and StarCraft entered the realm of the fighting game community. The stream, ran by community member Arturo “Sabin” Sanchez, merged the preconceived notion of #Esports with the community presentation that we all enjoy.

It began a bit slow due to the circumstances of one game King of Fighters 13. Compared to the other fighting games, KOF had only 25 entrants. The schedule was adjusted and unfortunately there was a bit of downtime. With not many matches to really broadcast, the event on stream was slow. This left commentators and stream producers with no other choice but to run several commercials at a time. Other technical hiccups occurred throughout the day. At times the stream would go down and other times people seemed uncomfortable on the microphone talking about the event. If anyone does not know why it’s simple…the staff was nervous.

Day two began a bit better. With the nerves gone, the event seemed a bit better managed. It started with Soul Calibur V and some great matches between players like Kayane, Keev, and RTD ATL. Thanks to the amazing commentary of Bibulus the hype and excitement of fighting games was in full effect. Later in the day we switched to 995Phil and the Mortal Kombat community with some more good matches. The day ended with the KOF finals where IGL Bala won collapsing after the victory overwhelmed with joy that he brought to himself, his country, and his family. I overall felt that there was so much riding on this day. With the world on their shoulders, the MLG staff came through and improved their event significantly. Fubarduck is the perfect straight man as commentary. At first glance he could seem “boring” with the way he speaks but put him together with someone that can get you excited he easily meshes well. While things ran a bit more smoothly, I think better communication between the staff running the event and the commentators overall would of made for better transitions. There were times where the commentators looked confused and did not set up the commercials properly. Also, commentators, especially with earpieces, should be told all details regarding schedule. They should be able to say something along the lines of “Up next, ___ vs. ____ next on MLG” without having to ask what is next.

For anyone that did not watch Day 3 here is a summary. Awesome! In Soul Calibur, Keev reminded everyone what country was the best in Soul Calibur capturing the title from RTD ATL. The commentary captured me thanks to Namco’s FlithieRich and Bibulus providing play-by-play. For someone who watches a lot of Capcom streams, I felt like this was one of the best teams in commentary. The ability to call the match and tell the story of the players captivated me to a point where I had my mouth gapped open hoping for the United States to win. This is what commentary should be doing. When we switched to Mortal Kombat, which is when the hype was raised even further. The first match we are given is the long-awaited VVV_CdJr vs. EMP Perfect Legend. 995 Phil does a masterful job of interviewing both players before the match. While the contestants seemed a bit out of place, 995Phil got them, and the crowd, pumped for the match. The fighting game community really had a treat watching this match. We saw two bitter rivals, two different outlooks on how they want to represent the community, and two overall good players battle it out. After the incredible match, whom VVV_CdJr had defeated, we had some of the most exciting matches in Mortal Kombat history. Let me not forget to mention the online warrior Curbulicious. From his first round lost, he put the pedal on as he cruised into an amazing 4th place finish taking out the likes of Tyrant and Perfect Legend. They put their hearts into those matches and it showed in the award ceremony. VVV_CdJr gave one of the most heartfelt thank you speeches I have ever seen. Not since the end of Apex 2010/Apex 2012 did I see so much emotion come from player. Sadly, for me, my connection had issues and I had to re-watch it a few minutes after it was done but emotions were running wild for him and his brothers.

I think that there were a few things Art and company can do to make the stream better. A lot of it really has to do with doing the events and gaining experience. This goes back to what I said previously about transitions to commercials, and interviews. Once they get that down it will be a better stream overall. I also think they can do a better job of setting up matches. The waits, while tolerable, were just a little longer than I expected them to be. I am sure, though, everyone will enjoy the next event and all the things I mentioned will be addressed.

One thing that this event has shown me, or revealed to me, is how much love these communities have for their games. To use Nor Cal Regionals as an example, I saw many people complain about the games they played. Whether win or lose twitter was expressing the sheer hatred people had for games such as Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Street Fighter x Tekken. It was a day that reminded me why I love gaming and also why I get upset at it as well. To see the differences in how people perceive both the Capcom and Non-Capcom games is unsettling. Yes I love all games but to see people still playing a game even though they hate it just does not make sense to me. At MLG we saw how much a tournament can be a greater experience. These people LOVED their games and you felt it in the commentary, the interviews, and the overall support they give each other. For me personally I became more inspired then I have ever been to make my own events reach this level. It is a reminder to everyone that there is nothing wrong with being different and playing the games you love whether they are popular or not.

MLG needs to make some improvements on their stream. There is not a single doubt about that. I would add though that the improvements will take time. Do not expect everything to be perfect on the first try. With determination Arturo and MLG made the event like a good tasting wine. The longer it was going the better it tasted. I am confident that next event will be even better. To those involved you did a great job and to those who went I hope you all enjoyed it.

Til next time

Layter Dayz
mlgpro.jpg

x_0

Noob
To tell the truth Turbo Curbo saved MLG for me, otherwise this was the worst major-stream I've ever seen - tons of commercials + even more missed fights that should have been shown to the people(Huge thanks to Medina and other folks who recorded and uploaded it afterwards though)

DanCock

Cock Master!!
nice :) i hope to be at the next event.

commercials should be stuck in when people are doing button checks. i think you could actually get more commercials in with out it being annoying and people will be forced to watch them waiting for the forthcoming match up..

Tim Static

Adminerator
nice :) i hope to be at the next event.

commercials should be stuck in when people are doing button checks. i think you could actually get more commercials in with out it being annoying and people will be forced to watch them waiting for the forth coming match up..
buttons checks were done while the ads were playing, but the ads/trailers, etc were sooo long. :(

DanCock

Cock Master!!
buttons checks were done while the ads were playing, but the ads/trailers, etc were sooo long. :(
ahh welll they should keep the flow going.. i didnt watch it but i know its possible to fit in a good 1 min 30 seconds of commercials in there. clearly the commercials are important for $$$$ fuck id put tide on my forehead if it got me sponsored lol

NariTuba

disMember
Very nice article.

Yeah the commercials were kinda silly. Im sure they could have shown many more matches by managing the commercial time a little better.

Something that REALLY pissed me off tho:

Whenever I refreshed the stream because it froze, I kept having to change the stream quality from low back to medium (which is annoying enough, settings memory anyone?) but the WORST part about it was that everytime I changed the quality I had to watch that MLG gear store ad AGAIN...

sorry MLG but that shit doesnt fly in the FGC. I lost and entire game of CDjr vs PL because of that... fighting games go by really fast, there's no time to waste with convoluted ad strategies inserted into the stream player. When I became wise to it I had to watch the remainder of some fights in low quality because I didnt want to deal with that ad or that MUSIC anymore while missing the fight.

Be smart MLG, there is PLENTY of times to get your ads in. As soon as you mess with the viewing experience your value starts going down.

Rant over, congrats MLG on a fine tournament and experience. Congratulations to Arturo for his hard work and for picking 9.95 for commentary... he was simply awesome.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
For me at least, Curbo stole the show. That kid came out of no where and was beastin.

No offensive to the other great players. He was just the new exciting thing that was happening.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
STORMS @ApexSeries

Whats the word on MLG doing a NYC (arena) event with the TOP 8 from Columbus (before MLG Anaheim) ??????

MLG Adam tweeted about this !

https://twitter.com/#!/MrMLGAdam/status/184086780356739072

PLEASE GO TO NEW YORK SO I CAN MAKE IT!!!

This, in spite of the hiccups in the broadcast, was the most exciting thing I've ever seen come out of MK. And given the solid shows that've gone on thus far this year (FINAL ROUND), that's really saying something.

Junior's speech was legit as fuck. Curbo curbstomping the world was awesome.
This has gotta happen again. Especially if it's gonna be in VSM's backyard.
It would be TREMENDOUS.

All of my criticisms have been mentioned. I want to re-emphasize NariTuba's point about being forced to watch an ad when changing stream quality...really annoying. People being nervous/confused is to be expected...the main thing is at least getting games shown. There were times when commentators would state that a match was currently going on, even though the stream was in the middle of a stretch of downtime. Thank you for all of your efforts

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
PLEASE GO TO NEW YORK SO I CAN MAKE IT!!!

This, in spite of the hiccups in the broadcast, was the most exciting thing I've ever seen come out of MK. And given the solid shows that've gone on thus far this year (FINAL ROUND), that's really saying something.
Junior's speech was legit as fuck. Curbo curbstomping the world was awesome.
This has gotta happen again. Especially if it's gonna be in VSM's backyard.
It would be TREMENDOUS.

from what Ive seen/heard looks like MLG NYC and Anaheim are MK events and happening.

But again:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
If MLG comes to NY, I'll personally hype the fuck out of it to the world.

Youtube, podcasts, music vids, the works.
I can write promos and plugs, and Lady Box makes videos.

They just have to say the word.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I think arenas are events that have no spectators and are recorded and put up as VODs on the MLG website for premium members. I'm not a starcraft guy though so maybe others can elaborate.

Yes Arena's are new this year, they are PPV events with invited only players. There's no free stream of the event, its held with no spectators. You either have to be a premium member to watch or wait and they release vods later of it. Apparently production value is high and its all about the players that are there, but i haven't seen it so i can't really comment on how it works as a viewer.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Yes Arena's are new this year, they are PPV events with invited only players. There's no free stream of the event, its held with no spectators. You either have to be a premium member to watch or wait and they release vods later of it. Apparently production value is high and its all about the players that are there, but i haven't seen it so i can't really comment on how it works as a viewer.
MLG Adam mentioned in the tweet above that this particular arena event in NYC wouldnt be a PPV (hence it would be free)... That would be cool.

BOOM

Noob
I think arenas are events that have no spectators and are recorded and put up as VODs on the MLG website for premium members. I'm not a starcraft guy though so maybe others can elaborate.
It sucks you didnt get T8. I was pulling for you. /midwest

Nah Arenas are livestreamed as well, all the starcraft arenas were livestreamed. It's basically an invitational for top players where MLG flies everyone to their studio and has them play there.