What's new

MLG Columbus Feedback, Suggestions, and Q&A

alphazealot

MLG Tournament Director
This thread will serve as a location for hearing the communities feedback on how MLG Columbus went, both people who attended and who were simply watching the stream.

I've already been talking a bit about the event over at SRK, that stuff can be found here.

For my background if you were at the event, I was typically calling matches and giving what information I could - basically I run the bracket and tell the officials where to go while also coordinating with the video production guys in the back. I'm a Tournament Director for MLG currently and I've worked with several games over the years. My roots are with the Smash community going as far back as 2003.

If you have questions about how MLG works I can do my best to explain, and if you have issues or suggestions on what could do better. We always try to improve every single event.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
1. The reason people watch streams is to see MATCHES so please have as many as possible on stream.

2. Select the matches of Top players for the stream or New/Unknown players that are performing well in the tournament.

3. The adverts should come maybe after every 5 sets(or maybe every 30 mins). They really ruined the experience.

4. Troll suggestion :p NO MORE DUB STEP!!.

Apart from these everything was great!!

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
More hype. Those interviews with the players after matches (especially Curbo's) were so goddamn boring. They were unbearable to watch. There was no action, no drama, no excitement. lamesauce.

Also, less ads, less dubstep, and more matches.

KHAMELEON

Banned
More hype. Those interviews with the players after matches (especially Curbo's) were so goddamn boring. They were unbearable to watch. There was no action, no drama, no excitement. lamesauce.

Assuming MK is going to be at future events, if there's a way for you to put the TVs with brackets in a better location for players to see that would be awesome. Having to walk out of the player area to the info booth was kinda whack. In addition, if there's a way to show the bracket in the spectator area by the projector, that would be awesome. A lot of people that were over there trying to watch games and missing matches because they couldn't hear their name called from there; if it was on a TV it'd be easier to see. I missed some of the best matches from the whole tournament because I was scared I'd be called for a match and miss it, then get DQ'd...

KHAMELEON

Banned

the interviews were hype specially cdjr reo and pl. thats a curbo fault for being boring but please dont get rid of player interviews

less ads and give salt cam more focus sometimes

Reneketon

Buyback, cos I'm mad
As far as the stream goes, more matches, and less staring at crowds. Ads are fine, but if you can perhaps space them out more, like go to /c after every 2 sets it would be more enjoyable. Either way, just don't have us staring at the SC2 crowd listening to dubstep for 10 minutes. Have something there to fill the time. Preferably matches...

The quality of the stream itself I had no qualms over, aside from reports of poor framerate.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
3 outa 5 would be amazing in tournament play. I also don't really mind the continuation rule after watching the whole stream over again and seeing how it played out. The other thing would be testing the equipment out a little more before the tournament because there where a few matches in play that had black outs on the stream during key parts of it. The interviews where also fun to see. Maybe put a mic also around the crowd to hear there reactions I think the only time I really heard any reactions was when the sc2 crowd would roar really really loud. All in all this was a great first run in the tournament with only a few small issues.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Just inform us of when it is taking place again sooner. I would have went to Mlg if I had known mk was to be played there.
if the info came out 2 weeks sooner. Preferably like 3 months sooner, so us poor people can plan better :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
i understand why there was the amount of adds there were but still from a viewers point it would of been nice to see more matches.
best of 5 matches for every match was great idea, like to see more people using this

*puts on my tourny player hat*
but as someone who is active in mk tournies this was a smash hit across the boards, the exposure for mk and the big money for the players is a great stepping stone for mk, was great for the game
....notice i say stepping stone as mk is just going to keep growing and growing

Less advertisements, a little more games. That's it really.

Also, it'd be nice if you could have a shot of the commentators, players and gameplay all at the same time like at community tournies.

Keep the interviews.

I'll just copy and paste a post I made yesterday.

Just bad

The gap in match times was too long. They needed to setup two dual streams so they can rotate out one televised match more smoothly with the next one. There was no need for 10 minute breaks and 30 minute half times. There was actually dead air when they didn't have a commercial or interview to do. Think about it, they actually had time they didn't even fill the air time with commercials which was to help pay for the prize pool. Hopefully they level up from that.

I was very annoyed after the KOF finals when I decided to see what the Halo stream was like and I was greeted by a roaring crowd. It was such a stark contrast to the both the SC2 and fighting stream. At least SC2 had a crowd even though they were far more muted. You should definitely watch the Halo matches for just 5 minutes. There was a decent sized crowd that was clearly enjoying themselves and it made the game all the more interesting to see what people were getting excited for. The fighting arena was completely lacking in this regard. Next time MLG needs to commit not a month in advance but atleast 2 months. It's not just the players who need advance notice so they can plan to make a trip to a location.

Just good

They need to continue plagiarizing from Homestory. I know most of you guys don't follow the SC2 scene but one of the big differences for most Starcraft tournaments and Homestory is that Homestory actually has the players act as guest commentators. MLG prefers to stick with professional casters in their other streams but correctly changed their structure for the fighting stream midway through the KOF tournament. They need to keep doing that for future events because having players rotate in and out brings in more insightful analytical commentary and if the pro commentator doesn't have knowledge like Phil did they can bring up knowledge about rivalries and other things that make matches more personal.

The production values were amazing for certain things. The stream quality was great, a webpage for the brackets that was constantly updated was sublime. Some of the interviews were funny. Kayane interpreting for Keev asking him about he felt beating her was the epitome of lulz worthy. Crazy Dominican being forced to give more than a one word answer was cute. That interview with the guy who put up the bounty was great. But...

Just Mixed

...half the interviews were awkward. The onus for this is usually the interviewer and I think they need to get someone specifically to handle this. Fubarduck had some good questions but the lack of eye contact with the person he was talking with and his body language can be subtlety offputting. The other guy during most of KOF stammered a lot. They need someone who has better nerves and knows how to make the interviewee feel comfortable while asking the hardhitting and fluff questions. [edit] And Fubar just leveled up in his interview with Ryuijin making me look partially silly [/edit]

The role of the grand commentator. Fubarduck had some pluses and minuses but I think being a one size fits all commentator didn't play to his strengths. I think the idea of the role in general was bad and was clearly apparent whenever he stepped aside for guest commentators. A role like this can be filled by someone but it takes a lot of experience and personality traits to fill that role. They probably should scale it back and sort of make it into a directing role where the grand commentator with all their knowledge coordinates everyone else with general themes they should be working on, analyzing their presence on camera and offering advice and direction between breaks, giving them heads up on players who changed their ID just for MLG and warning them in advance who is in the brackets.

Honestly they might be able to pull off the role as intended with Justin Wong (his stint casting MK at PDP was great) but it seems MLG has restrictions on paid staffers being competitors.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I think there needs to be more advance notice for people who already made obligations to something else. A lot more MK players would have shown up if it wasn't so close to Final Round. As far as the stream goes it was great except for having to watch a commercial after every match. It wouldn't have been so bad if we got to see 2 matches in a row and then wen't to commercial. Also listening to the same dubstep song over and over was brutal. Other than that it was excellent.

With that said I hope MK players get a better notice so we can have a second shot and show what our numbers can really do.

matterovermind

mindundermatter
Multiple streams displaying More matches. Other than that, it was great. I really liked the awards ceremony / multi angles of players RIGHT after a match occurred. Keep that up for sure!

Suggestion (I don't know if this is possible, but I'd think it wouldn't be too hard). Have a second system recording matches that are off stream. No commentary, just the matches (I don't know the cost of this, but it can't be that much). Then when you have deadtime (Note: NOT ADS), run a taped match.

This is especially the case for where you have a 30 minute dinner break.

Essentially, I'm not complaining about the ad time, but there was still a lot of dead time where you saw a crowd shot + music/dub-step for 5+ (Maybe even 10-15) minutes...where you could easily have shown another match.

Here are my suggestions based on watching the Top 8 matches of MK only. Stream was very solid with good commentary and matches to go with it. Unlike most people I did not mind you guys throwing an ad up after the series. I do wish you would have went back to the commentators for more information/interviews instead of the shot of the crowd just hanging out for several minutes. I think that will also help get the viewers back into the swing of the hype before matches start up again.

Based on what I heard about Saturday I think you guys most have improved what you were doing with the stream. I also read a lot of the SRK thread and please do not take those comments to heart. Way too many people complaining about something that had nothing to do with what actually happened.

I'd like to reiterate @garik16's point from a perspective of somebody who was actually there.

Run some recording hardware on the four "feature" stations (1-4) that are not main stage matches. Have downtime where you aren't playing ads? Pick some of the better feature matches and play those back; that'd be great not only for stream viewers, but also everyone at the event so we can see something going on the main screen in between our sets when there isn't really time for any casuals.

Is that something you guys would be interested in doing? Because the spectators would absolutely love it, and it'd be neat from a competitor's standpoint as well during downtime.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can replay any and all Friday/Saturday stage matches immediately after their conclusion that would be GODLIKE. I missed so many good ones (esp. dizzy v wafflez) because I was busy playing my own tourney match. I'm very upset I didn't get to see it :(

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
alphazealot Much like other folks, Saturday did not satisfy those watching from home. I think we might have seen 4 matches? And the rest was commercials... I personally was not very happy with that but I and WE also have to take in to consideration this very thread... this is a learning process and we have to appreciate the fact that you guys are coming to us for feedback to improve so mad props to you and the rest of MLG. Let;s just work to improve from here.

Also, more notice of the actual event... if players knew about this a lot sooner.... the 128 cap would have been made without a doubt. :)

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
the interviews were hype specially cdjr reo and pl. thats a curbo fault for being boring but please dont get rid of player interviews

less ads and give salt cam more focus sometimes
I didnt say get rid of them i said more hype.

VOR

Noob
Of course the matches were great and congrats to those who could go and did well. Also, thanks to MLG for asking for feedback. Of course MLG is a great opportunity for top players and could widen the audience and resources for NRS to put out more quality product.
Fighting games move at a diffrerent pace than rts or even shooters. More matches and far less downtime is what we're used to. Having the next matches queued up and on the stream right after the current one would be better. If i had never played Mk or been interested in the scene, the MLG MK stream would have not been very exciting to watch, just trying to be totally objective on that. just not enough gameplay.

sn1kzZe

Noob
From a stream spectator POV:

1. ads - Understandable after every game, but did you notice after coming back from commercial the players already did button check and were about to start shortly, therefore leaving very little time for the commentators to talk about the match up. I heard more than once "it appears we already started" as the camera switched to game view very fast.

2. Players view ALL THE TIME if possible - It was nice switching between rounds to players view tho, but needs to be more like SC2, where you can see reactions and micro skill.

3. Commentary - are you going to keep the current format? 1 general commentator for 3 games? needs more homestory setup like mutantmagnet mentioned, it gets sooooo much more hype that way.

4. Premium ticket - I purchased the $20 HD stream, but felt I was robbed, atleast with premium i should be able to watch the rest of the off stream matches.

5. Chat - where is it? it gives a more hype feeling when watching the stream and chatting with others, very important imo. (and I know we used TYM's chat but that's not the point).

6. Interviews - awkward or not, I liked all of them, keep doing them! this is how MK community will be more esports, with time players will learn how to be more comfortable with this and give better iviews.

Thats it, I hope you will read this, much respect for making this thread, good job guys.