What's new

MLG Anaheim's Hype Tournament Moments - Discussion Thread

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Wanted to save my impressions until the whole event was over, but since Injustice is over I'll just share it now.

I commentated MLG for the entire 2010 season of Tekken 6. Commentated the solo event for Tekken Tag 2 in 2012 and now this event. This event was BY FAR, the ABSOLUTE worst MLG event I have EVER been a part of. So disappointed that things were nowhere near the level they used to be. Not sure if this is a 1 off event, or if they plan to do more fighting games, but if they do more then there is a LOT to be fixed.
Is it possible something can be presented to MLG in a way that comes off as constructive criticism? It's at least worth a shot. Yes, this tournament was awful but I think if the right people say the right things, who knows. I do think though, that Injustice and KI may have seen their last MLG by not reaching the bracket limit. I hope i'm wrong on that though. If not, there's still plenty of other tournaments and ways for the NRS scene and KI scene to flourish in.

From what I'm seeing, people need to just go into vs mode with an AI Sabrewulf, and beat it into their heads to block the crossup-dash-eclipse.

It's reactible. Not all the time and it's not easy, but I swear it seems to get everyone all the time on stream.

I feel like Sabrewulf just completely runs over Fulgore, and the match with Rico vs MyGod shows why. When Fulgore's out of meter he can't build it on block. He can't shadow-counter out of Sabrewulf's insane pressure since he doesn't build meter on block. I was seeing a ton of ragged edge's canceled into shadow ragged edge, basically allowing a -3 move to be +1 and forcing another block string.

Yeah, Rico did some good zoning, but zoning doesn't hurt much in this game- except for Glacius. Even worse, blocking Fulgore's zoning just lets Sabrewulf build more meter to get free frame advantage with while Fulgore can't go into charge and build meter while he has to constantly throw stuff out to keep Wulf out.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I feel like Sabrewulf just completely runs over Fulgore, and the match with Rico vs MyGod shows why. When Fulgore's out of meter he can't build it on block. He can't shadow-counter out of Sabrewulf's insane pressure since he doesn't build meter on block. I was seeing a ton of ragged edge's canceled into shadow ragged edge, basically allowing a -3 move to be +1 and forcing another block string.

Yeah, Rico did some good zoning, but zoning doesn't hurt much in this game- except for Glacius. Even worse, blocking Fulgore's zoning just lets Sabrewulf build more meter to get free frame advantage with while Fulgore can't go into charge and build meter while he has to constantly throw stuff out to keep Wulf out.
It's nice to see someone else is watching.

Your right just learn how to fight against Saberwolf. Seems to be the character in the finals almost everytime.

It's nice to see someone else is watching.

Your right just learn how to fight against Saberwolf. Seems to be the character in the finals almost everytime.
Yeah, it was even stranger because Rico actually had been doing quite well against Wulf players with his Thunder. And this time he only brought in Thunder when it was too late....

I mean, I'm not a pro like Rico, but a character that doesn't build meter for blocking against a character built around pressure and frame traps? Seems like a bad idea....

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Al those Sabrewulf nerf cries in the chat.

However, as someone who fucking hates nerfs, that Wulf dash is too stronk.

I do sympathize with the chat in that Wulf mirrors for a Grand Finals is going to be boring because it's a rushdown-mirror.

But the dash is only a problem for people because of Shadow Eclipse, which has the 0 frame freeze. Nobody should have much trouble blocking a cross-up dash to any of Wulf's normals, because dash (21) + lp (4) is 25 frames to react. Not a very strong mixup unless the dash is followed by a Shadow Eclipse in which case it becomes a 21 frame mixup.

But even a 21 frame mixup shouldn't be that strong, given it's extremely unsafe and leads only to 19 percent damage for the full juggle.

So if they want to "nerf" Wulf by taking away the 0-frame freeze, it really wouldn't bother me at all. Just takes away an option people shouldn't be getting away with in the first place. In fact, I'd MUCH rather have Shadow Eclipse have a 5 frame startup with a frame before the freeze, instead of a 6 frame startup with a 0-frame freeze. It's supposed to be an Anti-Air move anyway.

I think looking at the dash as just 21 frames doesn't really do it justice. Not to mention its not like a 21 frame overhead, where when you see it you know you can just block, he can still mix you up with throw, frame trap or neutral jump.

I think looking at the dash as just 21 frames doesn't really do it justice. Not to mention its not like a 21 frame overhead, where when you see it you know you can just block, he can still mix you up with throw, frame trap or neutral jump.
Except most other characters can also mix up with a throw, frame trap, or neutral jump. Those aren't unique to Sabrewulf. Only the dash itself is. People need to stop looking at a crossup dash to a throw as anything different than a throw, because you counter it the same way. Same goes for a cross-up dash to a neutral jump, it's not countered in a different way then a regular neutral jump. Once people start paying attention to and reacting to the dash, everything else becomes regular oki