What's new

MLG Anaheim's Hype Tournament Moments - Discussion Thread

Ah, I was so sick and mentally drained by the end of IGAU I didn't have the energy to even watch KI. Plus I just don't find it that great of a game. Feel bad though, probably just as many bs issues as we had.
The same thing as injustice basically, or it may be worse considering that KI only has 37 entrants smh.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I'm surprised the game still has momentum. It wasn't really that hyped before release. I watched some matches of UFGT, it's just really repetitive and not my kind of fighter.

And yeah, they just have a vendetta against all the fighting game tournaments there. It's no longer just coincidence. I'm sure Call of Duty ran flawless.

I'm surprised the game still has momentum. It wasn't really that hyped before release. I watched some matches of UFGT, it's just really repetitive and not my kind of fighter.

And yeah, they just have a vendetta against all the fighting game tournaments there. It's no longer just coincidence. I'm sure Call of Duty ran flawless.
Smash Bros. has been pretty good so far.

I heard Smash ran better than us and KI. But I heard they had their share of issues too, just not as severe and damaging.

Well good for the Smash community. They are gonna take over EVO I'm sure for yet another year. Along with UMvC3. Sigh.
With Smash Bros. U coming out by the end of the year, I expect their community to grow immensely.

Hopefully the game is more well received than Brawl was, and that community can let go of the idea of the new games being a cut and paste job of Melee.

It's one of those games that you have to be acquainted with to truly appreciate. The level of mindgames that happens during the combos is insane but you have to be familiar with the game in order to see them as a spectator. To the random spectator not familiar with the game it looks like the same repetitive thing happening. The other fun part is the intense footsies and spacing that happen in some matches like akin to SF4. I'd compare it to SFxT, IMO fun as hell to play but boring to watch if you're not familiar with the game. The clock timeouts get boring after a while as well as the cat and mouse games if you're not well versed in the game.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I respect the massively dedicated players and the community. They get hyped. It's just I've always been hyped over big ass combos and always enjoyed the more mature fighters. I always looked at Smash as a party fighter that you sit around and casually play with your friends. And that's what it was for a very long time. I didn't have a Smash phase very long. I was playing MK Trilogy and Tekken. Just have always been interested in a different type of fighter. I watched a bit earlier on stream waiting for INJ to start. Just kinda made me zone out.

It was at least as terrible as anyone has said, and maybe even more

I dunno why I'm using the past tense, for KI it continues to be, just... so, so horrible
Just wanted to thank you again for handling the stream with such dignity and for you and godspeed getting that match between king and jupiter on stream. God I can't believe some of the decisions being made at this event.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I'm glad I get to come back to this thread tomorrow and enjoy more MLG. It's been a weird experience to witness from my couch.

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
The pizza hut infinite ad should have been banned! It seriously took wayyyyyyyy to long to watch anything and the Tyrant vs Paul B was horrible because it only showed their faces! It was the most time consuming tournament to watch Ive ever seen and coming from MLG is disappointing! Not to mention alot of probably the best matches were not on stream! like if you agree!!! I honestly did not think I would spend that long watching a Pizza Hut movie!

Rip

Noob
Wanted to save my impressions until the whole event was over, but since Injustice is over I'll just share it now.

I commentated MLG for the entire 2010 season of Tekken 6. Commentated the solo event for Tekken Tag 2 in 2012 and now this event. This event was BY FAR, the ABSOLUTE worst MLG event I have EVER been a part of. So disappointed that things were nowhere near the level they used to be. Not sure if this is a 1 off event, or if they plan to do more fighting games, but if they do more then there is a LOT to be fixed.