What's new

MLG Anaheim's Hype Tournament Moments - Discussion Thread

Damnit, I was pulling for a miracle. Oh well...congrats to Theo. Like bit said, there's not much doubt left that Theo is the number one injustice player out there.

why are ppl still freaking the fuck out and raging against mlg. the only real difference between this and MK9 was the late start yesterday due to internet/bracket issues. maybe the ad breaks are longer but this is pretty similar. I remember wanting the smash my pc monitor then also. be grateful for what you got.

selective memory at its finest or just ppl that weren't around then.
Be grateful? LMFAO. UFGT and Winterbrawl kicked the crap out of this shit show and CEO is going to do the same thing next week.

selective memory at its finest or just ppl that weren't around then.
I was not around back then. All I'd ever heard up until this tournament started was just how amazing MLG was for MK9 and what a great opportunity this was for Injustice. Now, after everything has been completely awful, a ton of people are coming out saying "yeah, this is basicaly what MK9 was like...why are you surprised".
I don't know where the disconnect is....but I won't soon forget this embarrassment.

coolwhip

Noob
"IMO Jupiter still the best. When he learns how to block he will be unstoppable." -- CD Jr.

Now before he gets blown up, that was 2 hours ago, and he has since said that Theo is the best. What baffles me is the part about Jupiter's blocking, since it's actually one of the best aspects of his game.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I don't know if it was the organizers, the dip shit staff, or a combination of just happen chance and circumstances, but what a mess. I'm ecstatic it's over. Maybe every other year they are great, but I definitely don't plan on attending MLG ever, even if there is a game I'm interested in seeing. We do much better with our community-organized majors and locals. Plus we don't have people bossing us around.

Grats to Theo though. $4k richer. Not bad for a couple days work.

This tournament was a horrible experience. Pretty inexcusable given they only had to accommodate what was a relatively small number of entrants given the other games going on.

We kicked ourselves for only getting around 70 to show up, but MLG couldn't even handle running a tournament with those numbers.

Completely embarrassing. I honestly would not have watched at all if I knew it would be so much of a pain. I just kept watching hoping it would finally get to the point of consistent matches, but it never did...

I feel that some constructive criticism to the right people at MLG might be a better approach for how to run fighting game tournaments in the future.

I had attended 3 separate MLG events for MK9 and had a great time. In hindsight i'm sure that @Sabin probably deserves some credit for that.

Try to make things better for next time, not burn bridges.

Can anyone that attended provide some perspective for how the Injustice tournament was treated in comparison to Smash Bros. and Killer Instinct?

Day 2 was a bit better. Still lots of long commercials but that's to be expected. It's either a lot of ads or 200$ entry fees. I mean how else are they gonna make back all that money?

Yesterday was a disaster but mostly due to events that were unpredictable and out of control. No matter how professional you are as a TO you can't prevent some of this stuff from happening. Shit happened and it created a huge snowball of problems.

Last edited:

Mst

Noob
How is an Inj Competitor Pass 200$ when the the Team Passes are between 210-240$ and SC2 is 70$ or do i miss something?

Day 2 was much better. Still lots of long commercials but that's to be expected. It's either a lot of ads or 200$ entry fees. I mean how else are they gonna make back 8000$?

Yesterday was a disaster but mostly due to events that were unpredictable and out of control. No matter how professional you are as a TO you can't prevent stuff like this from happening. It wouldn't have been better if it was KN, Valle or NRS pro league. Shit happened and it created a huge snowball of problems.

Day 2 wasn't really any better. It started out better, with us getting 2 matches and a shorter break for the first 4, then the capture card was switched and we were on the same routine as yesterday. 1 match and half hour wait.

Ultra David having to tell Jupiter and King to ignore staff and play on the stream set up any way was preventable and proof they whoever was running the show had absolutely no idea what the hell they were doing when they were telling key players to not use the stream set up when it was empty. Fuck knows how many other matches we missed due to not having someone say the same thing to players earlier.

Multiple top 8 matches off stream while no one was using the set up preventable.

The ad/gameplay ratio was very lopsided for injustice and you didn't have to be there to prove it. I had the smash stream open for large portions of the last 2 days, they didn't go on break as often or for as long.

There was PLENTY that was preventable and people are giving these guys way too much credit just cause of the name MLG. MLG didn't do Injustice any favors this weekend.

Last edited:

exyle

Noob
Real quick cause I'm on someone else's phone. For hours no one was allowed to watch matches or even hear the matches being called. We're getting corralled like cattle. Except fucking Floe and Chris G. You're god damn right myself and others called out this horseshit. We're all standing around without answers and floe or anyone else blowing it up can gtfoh.
Can you explain what happened with Floe and Chris G??

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I think they drunk wrote the webpages for the fighting game portion. None of the numbers seemed to add up or correlate with what was understood.

$125 for a major entry. Lawl. Who do they think they are? I never noticed that.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Well at least I got to see sonic fox's joker before I curl up in bed with my wank sock.goodnight wankers,I hope u all manage to see at least one tourney match before tomorrow afternoon.please for the love of god try to enjoy yourselves.
Did you enjoy yourself?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
shouldn't they just have a main stream for the main stage?
Fighting games have alwas been a side event at MLG with its own separate stage. Not defending MLG but the common neck beard that forks over cash to MLG plays PC or FPS games. They look at fighting games as an experimental source of revenue.

Also focusing on Floe/Chris G was sort of mistake on MLG's behalf because they are terrible at the games MLG has and openly shit on the event. @16 Bit was right for pulling a Kanye on them.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Fighting games have alwas been a side event at MLG with its own separate stage. Not defending MLG but the common neck beard that forks over cash to MLG plays PC or FPS games. They look at fighting games as an experiment.

Also focusing on Floe/Chris G was sort of mistake on MLG's behalf because they are terrible at the games MLG has and openly shit on the event. @16 Bit was right for pulling a Kanye on them.
I like the way you described how MLG looks at the FGC. Like we haven't been around for 20 some odd years.

But man everyone needs to let that stupid Chris G/Floe incident go. It's like one of the pettiest things ever. The stream couldn't see the commentators or hear them 90% of the time anyways. We had to listen to techno and apparently get tricked into buying Pizza Hut. I don't know how many other ways to put it. No one really gave a shit except the parties involved.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I like the way you described how MLG looks at the FGC. Like we haven't been around for 20 some odd years.

But man everyone needs to let that stupid Chris G/Floe incident go. It's like one of the pettiest things ever. The stream couldn't see the commentators or hear them 90% of the time anyways. We had to listen to techno and apparently get tricked into buying Pizza Hut. I don't know how many other ways to put it. No one really gave a shit except the parties involved.
I think it was more relevant because they messed around at the beginning of the tournament which made everyone from TYM think "OMG THOSE CAPCOM VILLAINS ARE SCREWING UP OUR CHANCES AT FUTURE MLGZ!". Now the event is just a disaster.

Fighting games have alwas been a side event at MLG with its own separate stage. Not defending MLG but the common neck beard that forks over cash to MLG plays PC or FPS games. They look at fighting games as an experiment.

I'm going to quote 16bit on the matter, because his version of events paints a very different picture then what a lot of people seem to have accepted as general wisdom:

I didn't "call security" nor did I ask to do commentary. There were security guys not allowing anyone to watch matches(the few that were happening). We were forced to stay away from the setups. We were literally standing there in a big group for hours trying to find out what's going in and asking when we'd be able to go to the play area. We can't even hear the matches being called because we couldn't enter the area but Floe and Chris G get to fuck around over there. So yeah I pointed this out. It was bullshit and I'm not sorry he's mad about it.
There were security guys forcing all of us outside the play area. They're literally calling matches threatening DQ and we couldn't hear because we weren't in the area. Floe was just chilling there for hours. That's the irritating thing not as much the commentary. A bunch of us were asking why COD players were in the play area and Floe and Chris G get to sit there but we couldn't. They weren't doing commentary most of the time. They were just chilling. I pointed out this is BS that we're standing here for hours trying to get any kind of information and watch matches while Floe is sitting there in the play area or doing troll commentary. Tom agreed and kicked him off the mic and the security guys finally showed some consistency and asked them to leave the banned area. No regrets from me. Sorry Floe's mad he can't sit around or troll on the mic while we're all forced out of the area for the game we're playing. Jesus Christ if pig and I did that shit we'd get blown up so bad.

exyle

Noob
Floe and Chris G were on stream at some point, making jokes, it might be on Youtube so I'll link you, so you can be the judge of whether or not the jokes were appropriate.
They were also allowed to hang out in some sort of restricted area, while most of the other participants were not allowed in it.
16 Bit called them out on it, and Floe and Chris G left the area. Which made them pretty angry.

Honestly this is as neutral as I could get.

This is what I have seen myself, if anyone else wants to add, I hope they do.
Do you have that youtube link?