What's new

MLG Anaheim through my eyes

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
I know MLG has received so much negative feedback from everyone and clearly there were issues, but here is my opinion on MLG. I came into MLG with high hopes for the tournament. I knew I probably wasn't going to win (which I clearly didn't haha), but I heard stories of MLGs past and I just wanted to have a great time.

Day 1 came and I wake up Friday morning early and pick up @Sajam and @SonicBoomBrad so we can go to the venue. The convention center was beautiful, even just the outside. There were many places to eat, drink, and of course the artificial palm trees which eloquently symbolize the Californian lifestyle.

We waited until 12, for the venue to open and as I walk into the actual venue, I was just took back by how beautiful and real eSports was. I impulsively tweet that Capcom should allow MLG to hold tournaments for their game because the venue was so beautiful and I was already under the assumption that MLGs past were great. The first thing I do after that is walk to the Level|Up Booth, which I feel was the savior of the entire tournament - consistent amount of casual stations, constant side tournaments. However, before all this happened, the hotfixes were not on Valle's consoles, and as Valle knows fighting games and has 100% devotion to the FGC, he does all he can to hotfix BEFORE the even starts on his booth and even he has difficulty hotfixing the consoles. I knew this couldn't be good for the official tournament because the internet was bad and bad internet just makes tournaments that have streams harder to run let alone games with hotfixes such as Injustice.

2:30 comes along and we all march to the Injustice stations. We are all eager to find out the brackets because we assumed that they post the brackets 5 minutes beforehand. It was staggering to find out that they haven't even made the brackets yet come 2:30 because that means the tournaments started late. This is uncharacteristic to the reputation of MLG. However, they start the tournment at actually started around 3:00ish, which is 30 minutes late. That would have been completely fine because I am a member of the FGC and tournaments often do start late but end up 100% fine.

Syknis vs Slayer play on stream, Slayer up 1-0. Pushblock glitch screws up Syknis. Crap - hotfix. What else is there to be said? Hotfixing takes a while and I actually had to test some of the stations myself, unable to B3 B3 with Harley, btw @Kitana Prime knows as he laughed at me lmao. This, along with the internet problems, really made the tournament start late, but honestly, the late start times were made worse because they had problems updating the brackets too because of the shitty internet at the venue. I don't know if it is really the fault of MLG or the fault of the convention center, but I just feel we're owed an explanation as the first round of matches started at about 5:30, which is an unacceptable 3 hours late.

After that, of course we were growing tired and disrespected throughout the night because we were at a tournament that known for their organization and other tournaments seem to be ran fine (even though players from other games say they were treated not well either). It just crossed the line when we were not allowed to even spectate the matches anymore. Isn't that part of the FGC experience? The security guards were super disrespectful about it. It wasn't right at all.

I'm glad there were community leaders and commentators that stood their ground and tried to entertain the viewers through endless commercial breaks, a disorganized tournament, and even were willing to talk back to the authority because they knew that there was an injustice (pun 100% intended) to the players who paid the money to play the game. But besides the tournament itself, the drama was pretty petty and it definitely wasn't a big deal. It was an miscommunication between members of the community, which happens fairly often, and that's okay.

Day 1 just ends late and I commuted so I had to drive an hour back home, got home at 2:30 and I had to get there the next day by 10, so that means NO SLEEP :(, which was not planned for at all given by the schedule.

I'm sure you guys heard about the judge fiasco and the DQs and everyone just being revived over and over again by now.

Day 2 was not that much better to start, but once we got the main stage top 3, I think everything got a tiny bit better less Aquaman just stabbing his way to victory! Honestly, my highlight was leaving the tournament, going to the Super Arcade USF4 tournament and just wrecking there (I won btw :]!)

Outside of all of that, I had a great time just interacting with the members of the community. I'm less angry about it myself, because other than spending money on gas to drive and 24 dollars for parking for the span of two days, I didn't really waste much more than time, but it wasn't time wasted because I got to meet some great people and I always love the hype the Injustice community brings. I'm just sad they get shafted and I know this isn't the first time they were ever shafted. This was also my first Injustice tournament that I only played Injustice at (no SF etc haha).

I feel more angry for @BiPolarExxpress and @n-megabytes because they traveled so far and paid a lot of money to go to an event that was ran so poorly and everyone had equally high expectations. Nice meeting you guys by the way and I hope to see you guys again :)!

Shoutouts to @AK Pig Of The Hut for bodying me! You are definitely a class act :].
Ggs to Jupiter, Red Reaper, BLT Malarkey, and Chris G as well.

@Hysteria I'm sorry I had to duck and dodge but circumstances had me having to leave and go home in order to play at the team tournament. Wonder Woman is not as good as I say she is and I completely up play her. You won by default. You're also a nice guy so like yeah! :)

TLDR -
The tournament was poorly ran. (can't stop that, there were problems that probably as not under MLG's control, but we are quick to commit false attribution error)
I still made the best of it because I got to see people I like - you can make anything fun as long as there are people there that you can talk to, have similar interests, and there were still stations to play at, definitely.

I feel more bad for the other players that traveled so far, than I do for myself because this was definitely my backyard. I also disliked the circumstances because it ruined a lot of plans to just chill, but can't help that either.
Just make the best and learn from what happened at this event!

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I know MLG has received so much negative feedback from everyone and clearly there were issues, but here is my opinion on MLG. I came into MLG with high hopes for the tournament. I knew I probably wasn't going to win (which I clearly didn't haha), but I heard stories of MLGs past and I just wanted to have a great time.

Day 1 came and I wake up Friday morning early and pick up @Sajam and @SonicBoomBrad so we can go to the venue. The convention center was beautiful, even just the outside. There were many places to eat, drink, and of course the artificial palm trees which eloquently symbolize the Californian lifestyle.

We waited until 12, for the venue to open and as I walk into the actual venue, I was just took back by how beautiful and real eSports was. I impulsively tweet that Capcom should allow MLG to hold tournaments for their game because the venue was so beautiful and I was already under the assumption that MLGs past were great. The first thing I do after that is walk to the Level|Up Booth, which I feel was the savior of the entire tournament - consistent amount of casual stations, constant side tournaments. However, before all this happened, the hotfixes were not on Valle's consoles, and as Valle knows fighting games and has 100% devotion to the FGC, he does all he can to hotfix BEFORE the even starts on his booth and even he has difficulty hotfixing the consoles. I knew this couldn't be good for the official tournament because the internet was bad and bad internet just makes tournaments that have streams harder to run let alone games with hotfixes such as Injustice.

2:30 comes along and we all march to the Injustice stations. We are all eager to find out the brackets because we assumed that they post the brackets 5 minutes beforehand. It was staggering to find out that they haven't even made the brackets yet come 2:30 because that means the tournaments started late. This is uncharacteristic to the reputation of MLG. However, they start the tournment at actually started around 3:00ish, which is 30 minutes late. That would have been completely fine because I am a member of the FGC and tournaments often do start late but end up 100% fine.

Syknis vs Slayer play on stream, Slayer up 1-0. Pushblock glitch screws up Syknis. Crap - hotfix. What else is there to be said? Hotfixing takes a while and I actually had to test some of the stations myself, unable to B3 B3 with Harley, btw @Kitana Prime knows as he laughed at me lmao. This, along with the internet problems, really made the tournament start late, but honestly, the late start times were made worse because they had problems updating the brackets too because of the shitty internet at the venue. I don't know if it is really the fault of MLG or the fault of the convention center, but I just feel we're owed an explanation as the first round of matches started at about 5:30, which is an unacceptable 3 hours late.

After that, of course we were growing tired and disrespected throughout the night because we were at a tournament that known for their organization and other tournaments seem to be ran fine (even though players from other games say they were treated not well either). It just crossed the line when we were not allowed to even spectate the matches anymore. Isn't that part of the FGC experience? The security guards were super disrespectful about it. It wasn't right at all.

I'm glad there were community leaders and commentators that stood their ground and tried to entertain the viewers through endless commercial breaks, a disorganized tournament, and even were willing to talk back to the authority because they knew that there was an injustice (pun 100% intended) to the players who paid the money to play the game. But besides the tournament itself, the drama was pretty petty and it definitely wasn't a big deal. It was an miscommunication between members of the community, which happens fairly often, and that's okay.

Day 1 just ends late and I commuted so I had to drive an hour back home, got home at 2:30 and I had to get there the next day by 10, so that means NO SLEEP :(, which was not planned for at all given by the schedule.

I'm sure you guys heard about the judge fiasco and the DQs and everyone just being revived over and over again by now.

Day 2 was not that much better to start, but once we got the main stage top 3, I think everything got a tiny bit better less Aquaman just stabbing his way to victory! Honestly, my highlight was leaving the tournament, going to the Super Arcade USF4 tournament and just wrecking there (I won btw :]!)

Outside of all of that, I had a great time just interacting with the members of the community. I'm less angry about it myself, because other than spending money on gas to drive and 24 dollars for parking for the span of two days, I didn't really waste much more than time, but it wasn't time wasted because I got to meet some great people and I always love the hype the Injustice community brings. I'm just sad they get shafted and I know this isn't the first time they were ever shafted. This was also my first Injustice tournament that I only played Injustice at (no SF etc haha).

I feel more angry for @BiPolarExxpress and @n-megabytes because they traveled so far and paid a lot of money to go to an event that was ran so poorly and everyone had equally high expectations. Nice meeting you guys by the way and I hope to see you guys again :)!

Shoutouts to @AK Pig Of The Hut for bodying me! You are definitely a class act :].
Ggs to Jupiter, Red Reaper, BLT Malarkey, and Chris G as well.

@Hysteria I'm sorry I had to duck and dodge but circumstances had me having to leave and go home in order to play at the team tournament. Wonder Woman is not as good as I say she is and I completely up play her. You won by default. You're also a nice guy so like yeah! :)

TLDR -
The tournament was poorly ran. (can't stop that, there were problems that probably as not under MLG's control, but we are quick to commit false attribution error)
I still made the best of it because I got to see people I like - you can make anything fun as long as there are people there that you can talk to, have similar interests, and there were still stations to play at, definitely.

I feel more bad for the other players that traveled so far, than I do for myself because this was definitely my backyard. I also disliked the circumstances because it ruined a lot of plans to just chill, but can't help that either.
Just make the best and learn from what happened at this event!
Nice post.

MLG killed the hype!!!

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Interacting with all the people who came through was definitely the one good thing about MLG.

Everything else was pretty much a nightmare.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
I will not accept this. I understand you had issues and had to leave for Ultra which is fine. I expect our match at EVO. I want to win or lose fair and square and not by some unforeseen circumstances. I'm sure if the tournament was run on time, we would have played Friday.

DMS has told me that I will be running the Wonder Woman gauntlet at EVO. And I expect you, the best one, to lead the charge. Until then, I expect you to ridiculously upplay Wonder Woman, and I ridiculously downplay her.

See you at EVO Anton.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
there were problems that probably as not under MLG's control, but we are quick to commit false attribution error
After reading everyone's on-hand experience there, for the past few days: this seems to be the common theme. It sounds like it was 95% the Anaheim Convention Center's fault and 5% MLG's fault.

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
I will not accept this. I understand you had issues and had to leave for Ultra which is fine. I expect our match at EVO. I want to win or lose fair and square and not by some unforeseen circumstances. I'm sure if the tournament was run on time, we would have played Friday.

DMS has told me that I will be running the Wonder Woman gauntlet at EVO. And I expect you, the best one, to lead the charge. Until then, I expect you to ridiculously upplay Wonder Woman, and I ridiculously downplay her.

See you at EVO Anton.
Just accept it because I'm retiring after EVO anyway.