What's new

MKXL vs MvC3 : Which game is a more fair?

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Having played and seen MVC3 stuff first hand im going to say MKXl.

Seeing Dante hit a character with sword drop when character in question was facing the opposite direction is LOLz tier...

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
As someone who can play both at at least an OK level - and enjoys both a lot - I think MVC's core gameplay is better but the cast is less balanced.

The big difference is movement. In MKX you have to expend resources just to use back dash (which for many characters sucks) and there are normals that take up well over half the screen. As a result, it's really hard to avoid getting put in situations where you have to guess / make hard reads. In MVC the movement is amazing and a good player will rarely be put in situations where they have to guess vs a bad one.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If you get touched once in Marvel, your character is dead. There's really no comparison. 50/50's may be dumb, but at least you have a chance to guess right.

I'm not taking anything away from Marvel players. Some of the shit they do takes incredible skill.

FOOT-FOOT-FOOT-FOOT DIVE

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
If you get touched once in Marvel, your character is dead. There's really no comparison. 50/50's may be dumb, but at least you have a chance to guess right.

I'm not taking anything away from Marvel players. Some of the shit they do takes incredible skill.

FOOT-FOOT-FOOT-FOOT DIVE
The difference is that in Marvel, if you got touched, it was probably your fault. The movement is so good that if you are playing a good character and are outplaying your opponent, you should be able to avoid most mixups.

In MKX, no one is avoiding Alien's b3 all game, as it takes up 3/4 of the screen, backdashes generally arent that good, and there's no air mobility to speak of for most characters.

HOT_ DNA

UMVC/MKX Player
I'm a serious marvel player...I played it for the last 5 years(Rocket raccoon/Morrigan/Phoenix or Rocket Raccoon/Storm/Morrigan) and just got into MKX last year... I would say marvel is more broke BUT MKX makes me more salty... the abundance of 50/50's in this game is crazy.... Most matches come down to a guessing game...One of the biggest adjustments for me was the frames.... In Marvel, you can see a animation and can tell if you can hit buttons...In MKX, u cant look at a characters moves and tell if its plus or minus

JDM

Noob
I play both competitively but they are different beasts.

MKX is way more frustrating pressure wise since good defense is actually rewarded in mvc3, proper pushblock timing can blow up a lot of setups or pressure. Almost nothing is guaranteed at high level. MKX you can't do much but guess most of the time.

Incoming mixups are worse than anything in mkx though for sure.

I'd definitely say overall MKX is way more fair though. XF3 Vergil, Morrigan in general, Zero, Magneto, Doom are so ridiculously bullshit it's not even close tbh

HOT_ DNA

UMVC/MKX Player

MKX is way more frustrating pressure wise since good defense is actually rewarded in mvc3, proper pushblock timing can blow up a lot of setups or pressure. Almost nothing is guaranteed at high level. MKX you can't do much but guess most of the time.

I'd definitely say overall MKX is way more fair though. XF3 Vergil, Morrigan in general, Zero, Magneto, Doom are so ridiculously bullshit it's not even close tbh
you can literally get hit with a incoming mixup like 6 times and still not know how to block it.... my best friend played Doom/Strider and I still have nightmares about blocking that

JDM

Noob
yeah a lot of the game is just knowledge and testing shit out on incoming. There's a set with Flux/Coach Steve for 500+ dollars where Flux got hit with the same mixup about 15 times in a row lmao. There are tiny little intricacies that make them non/actual crossups and it's very hard to tell in the heat of the moment.

Doom has really messed up stuff too so I'm not surprised lol

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Skimmed the thread and I don't think anyone brought up X FACTOR. And 33% only? Not if I catch that assist. 2 or all 3 characters mopped. Or if you get snapped and I kill your anchorING Phoenix before her 5th bar or mop your Doom stopping the missile game. There's a lot more to it than "did you block the mix up?" Cause fight One good zero... and you ain't blocking a damn thing in the corner. Just let it happen. Not to mention Virgin cross up 50/50 with all this you still have to watch out for assists cutting you're pathways off. There's a lot to keep up with.

The only real issue in MKX in regards to 50/50s and Lowverhead(HTB) Setups is that sometimes you block them correctly and it's still NOT your turn or two or three characters have a universal tool kit for every possible situation on top of a 50/50

HOT_ DNA

UMVC/MKX Player
In marvel, its also some IMPOSSIBLE matchups... I main Morrigan and its 0% chance that a haggar beats me 1v1

Marvel is stupid. But that doesn't mean it's unfair.

Every team in marvel has infinites. If you have an infinite and so does your opponent, it's a stupid game, but it's 100% fair.

"omg he has an infinite this is unfair!" uh... no... It's not... because so do you. Marvel is more fair.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Really? There's so much in the game. How do they manage?
I'm not a tekken player but i imagine it's because they built up on the system for about the last 20 years, if you learned King in tekken 6, you can play king in tekken 3 and it'll feel familiar. But also I don't play tekken competitively or keep up with the games, so if something was unbalanced i wouldn't know, but i do remember some people complaining about the rage system and the way juggling worked in Tekken 6.

People are trying to say marvel is unfair by bringing up what makes it a bad game. unfair and bad are not synonyms. It's like calling dive kick unfair because you die once you get hit. So does your opponent. that's unfair because _______.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
In mvc3 generally things are hard to block, but you have WAAAAAAAAAAY FUCKING MORE options to get out of the bullshit in umvc3 than MKX. Wether it be invincible super, push block, assist call, read an air dash with air grab, etc. The list goes on.

Generally in umvc u have to guess the initial block, and from there u make reads to get out.

In MKX, u guess the initial block and youre generally forced to keep on guessing.

Also umvc3 goes waaaaay deeper in the neutral

ando1184

Noob
Really? There's so much in the game. How do they manage?
they literally don't make too many changes. but when they do make them they focus on universal things mostly. For example, almost everyone has a 12f punisher (meaning a move that's around 11f or faster). And the overall universal rule is they are done by inputting back 1 or back 2 or something like that. the skill gap in tekken is demonstrated through player skill, not by the character's toolset and gimmicks.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I picked up UMVC3 and 10 minutes later I knew how to infinite someone.

And the combo starters are practically all the same.

And it's super unbalanced.

Down 2

Noob
I've played both at a decent level and MKX is way more fair in my opinion. MKX has breakers and no one is going to kill you in one combo at least if you're not Kotal Kahn in the right situation... And UMVC3 has characters like Zero, Vergil, and Morrigan. I would much rather fight any character in MKX over MorriDoom Bullet Hell or Zero May Cry.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

I agree w this 100%. Obviously don't play marvel on your level but I did play it for 2 or 3 years. I feel MKX is definitely more fair, but only in the sense that the neutral is easier to approach. It simply takes more skill to play marvel at a high level than it does MKXL.