What's new

MKXL vs MK9 the best is relative

i have seen a lot of people saying this or that is better and i started to ask myself the same question but the answer is not as simple to come by here is why. mkxl has things that are better than mk9 but mk9 has things that are better than mkx as well. so i thought about making a honest list of both of this thing.

MKXL vs MK9

depth

MKXL win
mkxl has a clear win here the variation system and everyone no sharing the same jump attacks adds a lot more depth to the game than what mk9 had to offer

mkxl run vs mk9 dash cancel
winner N/A
anyone who tells you run is better or dash cancel is better is just talking about his/her preference. both of the system are good in what they do. me personaly think the run system is better but that is just me.

meter system
winner N/A
both games use meter the same way and you build meter the same way as well

defensive vs offensive mechanics general balance ( not to be confused with zoning /rushdown )

mk9 wins
in mk9 blocking for too long it is a bad idea because the chip damage will build up and the players on the offense is using his pressure not just to do chip damage but to build meter to use later as well. this force the defensive players to try to find a opening to get out yet knowing that he will not get punish with a full combo because he was been patience. this is not the case in mkxl because of the many lows and overheads that you can not react to.

wake-up system
mk9 wins
the reason why mk9 system wins is because mkxl has so many 50/50 and armor for a full combo in the wake up game that the whole wake-up situation becomes a risk for both players however if you find yourself without meter you can lost a round easily because you have not wake-up anymore. there were many characters in mk9 with bad wake-ups but the worst that was going to happen to you on wake-up was talking chip damage this is why the wake-up system in mk9 is better than in mkxl

character balanced
mkxl wins
character per character mkxl is the most balanced. mk9 biggest problem was that many characters could not keep up with the top tiers. there was too many bad matchups in the game and some character hardly have any good matchups. in mkxl there is characters which are considered to be low but no even close as many as in mk9.

character tools vs player skills balance ( this is how much your skills will help you deal with the tools of a characters)
mk9 wins
the tools so many characters have in mkxl can not be deal without guessing and guessing is not a human skill is just that guessing. mk9 has some characters which force you to guess like johnny cage but no as many characters as mkxl and the heath you lose for guessing wrong is not as big as in mkxl. this give the win to mk9

neutral game
mk9 wins
since mk9 did not have any character with a fast advancing mid with long range for a full combo normal the neutral game was better balanced between characters and since all jump in punch attacks had little priority jumping in was no a good option. this forced players to have to open up their opponent to be able to do some good damage. another factor is that in mk9 no every character have an armor move and most of the characters that have armor don't get a full combo from it. in mk9 doing an armor move is a big risk, low reward with the exception of sonya and kenshi. this is why you will hardly see armor moves in the neutral game. if you did some thing negative on block you did not have the ability to make your opponent second guess his next move because you can armor him for a bigger reward than he will get for trying to make you respect his plus frames. if you are at +5 and your opponent has meter in mkxl your frame advantage mean nothing.

CONCLUTION
it look like mk9 has 4 pros and mkxl has 2 pros when it comes to competitive gaming but mkxl has the two pros that people talk about the most when it comes to fighting game which are depth and balanced. i think at the end of the day the question you should ask yourself is not which one is better but what kind of game you prefer to play.

a) mkxl a game which is deeper with more to explore in which most characters can compete but much less honest and with a lot of guessing

OR

b) mk9 a more honest game with better defense vs offense balance but with many characters which can not keep up with the top tiers

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
They're both good for different reasons. Obviously MKX is newer so it portrays better graphics and more attention to DLC and patches/hotfixes. It has more game content and personal character vs character intros. It's also more balanced overall as whole, almost every single character in the game has at least one viable variation.

MK9 has a much worse balance and if you're not a top 15 character you don't stand a chance whatsoever on a competitive environment. But overall it has MUCH less 50/50's and setplay which in result lead to the better player being able to outplay the lesser play 90% of the time. It's also worth noting MK9 has the best story mode of all fighting games.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I disagree with mk9 neutral wins, advancing combo strings, armor, good jumping normals are part of neutral in my opinion they give neutral more depth because you have more to think about, more options to open people up and more option for them to open you up, you have to be aware of their range, their air priority, their armor, and take all of it into consideration in the heat of battle, because one false move and a third of your health is gone, which I also like. The neutral in MKXL is very unforgiving, yes you can come back, but you are punished for a missed read, or a mistake heavily. It makes battles more intense knowing that if you fuck up in neutral, that you will be punished hard. Every mistake could easily be your last. I think that the neutral game in mkx is crucially under rated just because it is different.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
I was with you until you said MK9 is a much more honest game. I played Sheeva, Kano, Stryker, and Quan chi as my main 4 with a little Mileena & Jade on the side.

"HONEST" is relative I suppose. I'm looking at YOU characters whose name contained the letter K not named Kano. They were all good. /Salt

REO

Undead
It's kind of crazy how known the NRS community is for shitting on their own games. It's possible for NRS to have made more than "one" good game.

I seriously can't wait for what the community and the newer players say about MKX in 2 or more years when Injustice 2 or MK11 is upon us.

MK9 and MKX are way too different of games, IMO. I think comparing Injustice to MKX is a better example since the meta is a bit more similar with both games.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
It's kind of crazy how known the NRS community is for shitting on their own games. It's possible for NRS to have made more than "one" good game.

I seriously can't wait for what the community and the newer players say about MKX in 2 or more years when Injustice 2 or MK11 is upon us.
I can't wait to see what the 2011-comers who are still around in 2 years are saying, if anything. Maybe they'll just enjoy the game quitely whilst everyone complains lol.

D

Deleted member 9158

I do miss dash blocking in MK9, but I can kind of make it work by running and quickly cancelling with block...

I do think MKX is a much better game overall though.

JDM

Noob
so hard to say honestly. I'd go with MKX but I'm partial to MK9 as it was my first competitive fighter and it simply brought me into the scene. I played that game non fucking stop. MKX has so many pros over it though tbh

JDM

Noob
Did you just call mk9 a more honest game? I'll take 5 of whatever you're on
in a sense it was. Comparatively. MKX Kung Lao is way better than MK9's Kung Lao when you put their tools up against one another.

MK9 has less 50/50s, and more footsies so you actually had to outplay your opponent way more than in this game. I'd say the main two outliers in MK9 were Cyrax and Kabal who were really really broken but outside of them MK9 was way fairer (even including them MK9 was more fair)